Give your input on best dive operators in Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FriscoScuba

Registered
Reaction score
We are going in 3 weeks. I am a newbie, my boyfriend is advanced. We want a smaller group but nothing too advanced for me. We are staying at the Plaza Las Glorias so something close by or where they can pick us up is key. Please share your input, I have so many names of places but can't decide!

The package we originally had was with DIve Paradise but not sure if we want to be with such a big outfitter (although maybe that's good? You let me know.....)

THANKS!

Hi FriscoScuba,

You should enjoy the Plaza Las Glorias. Nice place & an easy walk into town. Ask for a corner room on a upper floor. Dive shop (northwest) end is best. You'll see why. Also, all dive ops will pick you up there. Aqua Safari is on-site op, and they do a good job. Both the owner, Bob Horn, and the manager, Angel, are close by and very helpful

As for the "best dive op," perhaps you have not thought clearly about your question. The best op for the newbie not wanting anything too advanced obviously is not also the best for the advanced diver wanting the more advanced sites.

Dive Paradise will not give you small groups unless you upgrade to their EDP (Experienced Diver's Program), and I suspect you would neither desire nor qualify for that program, although your boyfriend might.

If you want to dive together, check out the on-site Aqua Safari. If you want separate ops, let me know & I'll make some suggestions.

I adore Coz. I hope you will, too.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks so much. In case we did want to split up and I wanted to be in a small group, not too advanced, do you have any rec's then? Also my boyfriend is going to dive more than me and can go with any operator (he's more advanced) so I'd love to let him know which is best. I think SMALL groups is our main concern....

We talked to some friends that said Aqua Safari's boats are very crowded (for night dives) and that a place they liked was Black Shark. There are just so many places to choose from, I am so confused! I appreciate your help and am excited about being a member of this scuba forum. Best info so far!

Hi FriscoScuba,

My pleasure.

LOL--guess it's the luck of the draw on any particular occasion. I just got a couple of negative reports on Black Shark.

Anyway, if you go with Aqua Safari request one of their small boats, like the Belinda.

If you decide to do some split diving, I'd recommend that you look into Papa Hog's http://www.papahogs.com/ & your friend look into Aldora http://www.aldoradivers.com/

Nice thing is, it's hard to have a bad diving on Coz.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

HI Friscoscuba:
I will be at Plaza Las Glorias in 4 weeks. I guess we'll just miss each other.
We are using Dive Paradise for our dive operator.
Have fun you're going to love it there!

:sunny:

I agree with Doc about Papa Hogs. The owners wife, Margaret, is great with new divers.

There are some excellent dive ops in Coz that are affiliated with any of the hotels. all of them will be happy to pick you up at PLG dock. My all-time favorite is Cabillito del Caribe. Click here

Whatever dive op you go with, just be sure to tell them you are a beginner....you won't be that way very long!

First of all, Welcome to the Board.

Doc and Dee both gave you some excellent advice. PLG is my personal favorite because of location and convenience. Have never been disappointed there.

The dive ops that Doc and Dee recommended are excellent. I will be back with Cabillito del Caribe again in April I have nothing but the highest praise for their divemasters. Thry will assess your skill level and put you on the dives best suited for you. I suggest you go with what the dive master recommends. They will try to give you the best dives possible.

The neat thing is you can just concentrate on doing the dives.

You'll have a great time and will probably become a COZ junkie like the rest of us.

DSAO

You should give blue angel diving a try. Small fast boats with small groups will get you to the better sites than the big slow boats with larger groups. Alex and Alex are the owners they'll take care of you.

WHile You are there, try out Dive Paradise. The Costa CLub operation is now run by Sheila McIntyre, A great lady from Cleveland, Ohio. Quite American, from her red hair to orange nail polish. You don't have to worry about a translator for conversation. She is an instructor and long time school teacher. You won't be dissappointed.

Bob Hines
NAUI Instructor Trainer NORTHERN OHIO DIVERS

We will be staying in Plaza Las Glorias around april or may. At first I had my mind made up to use dive paradise, instead of aqua safari (which is at the hotel). I've done a lot of research and it seems you get just as much positive and negative feedback from both operators. I am starting to think that you'll enjoy pretty much any dive operator, unless you happen to draw a bad day. I think aqua safari will suffice due to it's location at the motel (but many people have liked dive paradise).
:guitar:

Back
Top Bottom