Trip report - 5/16 to 5/23 LONG, sorry.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, here's my trip report. A little late, due to the airline losing my luggage for a while and my log book being in there.

Accomodations: Fiesta Americana, all-inclusive plan. Great property, south of town but not terribly far. Only 60 pesos ($6-) to town by cab.

Diving: Dive House, the onsite shop at the FA. We were able to snag a couple of their lockers which really came in handy. Contrary to what I've read on here by others that have dove with Dive House, we found Francisco to be their best DM, not Pirate.

5/17: Santa Rosa Wall: 86 feet, 35 min. Barracuda and spiny lobsters hiding under rocks. Beautiful swim throughs here, although on one swim through, some fire coral attacked my left arm without any provocation. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Punta Tunich: 61 feet, 32 min. Whipping current here, feels like you're flying.

After the short dives this day, I gave my newly certified buddy some advice on how to control his breathing. You'll notice the dive times on following days how he went from an air hog on the first day to staying the entire plan every other dive.

5/18: Palancar Gardens: 80 feet, 37 min. The DM found this tiny little seahorse. My buddy and I saw it, then others in the group were crowding around it when a newbie flopped down and silted the entire area.
Yucab: 55 feet, 41 min

5/19: Palancar Bricks: 85 feet, 42 min. This turtle took a liking to this young lady in the dive group, staying right above her head for several minutes.
San Francisco Wall: 61 feet, 53 min. Saw this monster stone crab, awesome coral formations here.
Chankanaab (night dive): 52 feet, 50 min. Several octopus, stone crabs and spiny lobsters. Saw my first moray eel (black and white)

5/20: Columbia Wall: 94 feet, 47 min. Saw this huge green moray eel, unfortunately couldn't get a closer look at it because he was down at 110 feet or so. Pirate didn't want to take us here, we asked for 2 days to come here and he refused. This one lady went up to the dive shop and demanded that we go to Columbia Wall or she was going to change dive shops. It worked and Francisco took us to Columbia while Pirate worked the other boat. I didn't notice it being any more difficult than other dives, I did hit my deepest of the trip here, but could've easily hit this deep on other walls.
Punta Tunich: 62 feet, 50 min. Whipping current again, really fun. Saw this eagle ray out in the blue, tried my best to fight the current to watch it some more, but couldn't.
Las Palmas (night dive): 58 feet, 55 min. This was the dive that I described in Gordon's earlier post. Dive Paradise dumped 12 divers in the water at once, on Gordon's head. I was in the 3rd group of 6 that went in 5 minutes later. Saw my first splendid toadfish, also this monster spiny lobster was walking around. The thing looked like it belonged in a Godzilla movie.

5/21: Palancar Bricks: 79 feet, 42 min. Saw this beautiful turtle munching away on a sponge, big groupers, this barracuda got a little close for my comfort, 5 feet or so.
Delilah (sp?) Reef: 60 feet, 50 min. I didn't take note of what I saw, just enjoyed my last Coz dive.

Food: Mostly ate at the FA, food ranged from excellent to just downright bad. We did head into town on a few nights, hit Casa Denis twice for Mayan Pork, lime soup, and a Negra Leon. That's a perfect meal if I ever had one. La Choza was great as well, plus we hit this little popsicle shop a few blocks from town every time were in town.

I'll stop there, I'm getting a little misty eyed :wink: thinking about the trip. Again, sorry for long trip report. Can't wait to go back next year hopefully, if my wife lets me.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver/Nitrox

Mel

Stayed at FA as well from 5/12-5/22. Used DWM. I am sure I saw you if you were around the pool. We also had a great time. Weather was perfect. Not too hot but more sun would have been benfeficial for u/w pictures. We are planning another trip back to Coz in Sept. so we can't wait.

You NEVER have to apologize for a long trip report, it is the too short ones that need the apology.

Thanks.

Nice report Melfox. I was also in Cox for 8 nights in may and had a great time diving with Blue Angel. Furthrmore, I know about those attack fire corals: I had one attack my right hand in a swim through at Punta Sur Cathedral. A month later and I can still feel the effects.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom