The good news is We are going to coz! The bad news there leaving us at cancun airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy-S

Contributor
Reaction score
Like I said the great news is my wife and I are heading to coz in Nov and staying at the Grand for ten nights. Sweeeet!
The bad news is we couldent book a flight directly into coz so we are flying into cancun and we are on are own to get to the grand.
Now I been to Playa more then once so i know all the travel companys go-go apple ect all have shuttle buses down to playa. I am asking my agent to try and book me a ride on one to get us to the ferry then were on are own again. Any ideal on the costs of a cab ride once we get over to coz to the grand. Anyone have other ideals on getting from cancun to the grand?
Thanks Randy

Randy-S:
Like I said the great news is my wife and I are heading to coz in Nov and staying at the Grand for ten nights. Sweeeat!
The bad news is we couldent book a flight directly into coz so we are flying into cancun and we are on are own to get to the grand.
Now I been to Playa more then once so i know all the travel companys go-go apple ect all have shuttle buses down to playa. I am asking my agent to try and book me a ride on one to get us to the ferry then were on are own again. Any ideal on the costs of a cab ride once we get over to coz to the grand. Anyone have other ideals on getting from cancun to the grand?
Thanks Randy

Sweat?

Anyway, there are lots of ways to get from Cancun to Playa del Carmen; the bus, the vans, the cabs. You could even wait until you get to Cancun to negotiate the best deal for your needs.

You could even catch a skip flight from CUN to CZM, depending on your schedule and finances.

If you go by ferry from Playa to Cozumel, the cab ride to the Grand from the ferry pier will probably be $15-20.

Cheers,

Randy-S:
Like I said the great news is my wife and I are heading to coz in Nov and staying at the Grand for ten nights. Sweeeat!
Thanks Randy
I did similiar last year as I used my FF miles with American
and at the time did not fly directly into Coz

I bargained with a taxi at the Cancun aiport for a ride to
Playa and took the ferry. Taxi $40.
At the Cancun airport pass by the van transportation they are much more expensive ($70.) plus tip

I also took the island hopper a few years ago and was around
$135 roud trip(this was in 1998).

We thought about the flight from cancun to coz it was only 200 total for round trip for two people but it was three hour layover once we got into cancun. So i thought we could get to the grand by ground before that. 40.00 cab to the ferry . Ferry what 10 bucks each and another 20 from the ferry to the grand?
Thats not two bad.

We just got back from Coz with a family of 7. We took the bus from the airport to Playa. I dont have the amount because hubby always pays and I dont pay attention. I think it is about $7 per person. Just walk out of the airport from customs go left to the end of the airport and pay right at the bus. It feels like the Gauntlet with all the taxi drivers trying to convince you that you must talk to them. Even in the airport, they have guys at desks acting official, telling you need to come and check in...only to have them try to sell you transportion. The most important words I learned are "ya tenemos" which mean, we already have. From the bus, once at Playa it is only about a block and a half to the ferry and you can buy tickets at any one of about 30 ticket booths. Again, no idea of the cost since I watch the kids and luggage while hubby buys. From the ferry pier in Coz, the cost of taxi is probably $20 ($18 is what it cost all 7 of us, to Allegro which is just a hop closer than where you are going ).

We were there in May also, and on the way home, one taxi driver actually talked my husband into taking his taxi from Playa back to the airport, (it was only the 2 of us) for only $35. I am sure you could barter them down to at least that to Playa if you tried. It was faster than the bus. Hope this helps and hope you have as good a time as we had while there both times this year.

http://home.pcisys.net/~ronlee/Scuba/Cozumel/Aug2001/CancunCozumel.htm

It contains detailed directions for taking the $7 bus to and from Playa Del Carmen. One note- he fails to mention the "Tricyclos" guys who for a few bucks will haul all your gear to and from the bus station and pier in Playa for you. It makes holding onto your XX that much easier. They will be right outside the door at the bus station. I will be doing this next Friday so if there are any issues I'll let you know when I return.

Rich

Thanks for the replys it sounding easyer by the day to make the trip. Rich shoot me a note when you get back on how it went.
Randy

Randy-S,

I am going to Coz in mid November and looked at flying my family into Cancun to save money, then taking a taxi to Playa and the ferry to Coz. You may want to add up the travel times for this cross country excursion. If I rememeber... when I looked at the time we were scheduled to land in Coz, get our bags (wait), clear customs (wait), catch a ride to Playa (wait), wait for the next scheduled ferry, ferry accross to Coz, and wrestle all of our gear off the boat to a taxi at the dock... then add the chance of a rough water crossing (or delay)... the shuttle flight started to look like a real good deal. I may be a bit lazy but I would prefer to clear customs, check my bags in at the shuttle airline, get my boarding pass, and go grab a bite or beverage until departure time. You are on vacation... why do you want to work so hard getting there?

BTW- As things worked out I am now going to Coz alone this time (the wife has to work) so I found a direct flight to Cozumel on US Airways using my FF miles and won't have to deal with it. Good luck.

PS- Don't make things too complicated... you are just asking for someone to drop the ball along the way.

wmspdi:
Randy-S,

I am going to Coz in mid November and looked at flying my family into Cancun to save money, then taking a taxi to Playa and the ferry to Coz. You may want to add up the travel times for this cross country excursion. If I rememeber... when I looked at the time we were scheduled to land in Coz, get our bags (wait), clear customs (wait), catch a ride to Playa (wait), wait for the next scheduled ferry, ferry accross to Coz, and wrestle all of our gear off the boat to a taxi at the dock... then add the chance of a rough water crossing (or delay)... the shuttle flight started to look like a real good deal. I may be a bit lazy but I would prefer to clear customs, check my bags in at the shuttle airline, get my boarding pass, and go grab a bite or beverage until departure time. You are on vacation... why do you want to work so hard getting there?

BTW- As things worked out I am now going to Coz alone this time (the wife has to work) so I found a direct flight to Cozumel on US Airways using my FF miles and won't have to deal with it. Good luck.

PS- Don't make things too complicated... you are just asking for someone to drop the ball along the way.

FWIW and IMO, it's all in the mindset. I consider myself on vacation from the time I get all my bags checked on the flight out. The times I have gone into Cancun, the trek to Coz was no big deal; it took about 3 hours, and I had a beer in my hand the whole way. Sure, there were a couple of waits, but waiting at the ferry pier in Playa, sitting in Senor Frog's (nothing like the SF on Coz, BTW) looking out over that beautiful water... heavy sigh... was really a lot better than OK. It wasn't at all complicated, either.

Also, in the case of a rough water crossing, if the weather is so rough that the crossing on that huge ferry is scary or uncomfortable, I wouldn't EVEN want to be on one of those little shuttle planes from CUN to CZM.

Randy-S:
Like I said the great news is my wife and I are heading to coz in Nov and staying at the Grand for ten nights. Sweeeet!
Thanks Randy

The bus from the airport to Playa is only $6.50 per person. Check www.playadelcarmeninfo.com for the schedule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom