here is a poll question how much do you tip your DM and captains?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy-S

Contributor
Reaction score
If they give you good service whats the norm? Do you tip each day or if I book a package do I tip at the end of it?
I know they work hard and want to make sure I take care of them if they take care of me. :eyebrow:
Randy

Randy-S:
If they give you good service whats the norm? Do you tip each day or if I book a package do I tip at the end of it?
I know they work hard and want to make sure I take care of them if they take care of me. :eyebrow:
Randy

Well, if the service is bad, then you don't have to tip at all. This is the tipping ettiquite as told to me on my first boat dive: about 10% or more as you see fit. If they do a great job, then maybe more. If it's a package and you know that you'll have the same cap'n & crew each time, you can choose to tip the last day. In my opinion, I prefer the daily, with a little more the last day if they were great. Others may tell you differently. I don't know, that's how it was explained to me. :confined:

PS - was this supposed to be a poll??

Of course it depends on service and the attention they pay to *you and your partner* but I think $5.00 per day per person is a very average (but fair) tip. Most crews split the money between the capitan and maybe a few of the guys that work primarily in the shop, so don't look at it like the DM gets all the tips.

If I am on a live aboard the tip is paid at the end of the week, between 10 - 15%.

We tip $5.00 per person per tank. Also, we tip every day. Depending on the dive op you use, you may have a different DM and/or captain than the previous day.

The last trip I was on was a package deal With Olympus Dive Center in N.C. so I paid at the end of the trip. The problem was, There was a crew but only one designated DM/Mate and this changed from day to day. Everyone helped and was great so all deserved to be tipped but to tip everyone on the boat could send one to the poor house fast. By the end of the week I lost track of who was who and began to sweat over what to do. I talked to the girl at the counter and was happy to hear that tips are just put in a file for the boat and the DM/Mates divvy it up later. Now for the amount. I left $160 whech worked out to be about $32 a day. That was the most I could give and still make the trip home. It was more then $5 a day but lass then 10% The level of professionalism and friendly helpfulness was well worth the %10 and I'll be prepared to do better when I dive with them next year. The next trip will be a live aboard so that will make keeping track of the crew much easier. Boy, I do ramble on so. :soapbox:

The rule of thumb that I go by is $5 per person per tank. (For the mathematically-challenged, that's $10 per person for a 2-tank dive.)

Depending on the dive-op, I'll give the tip to the DM. However, I've heard that sometimes it's better to split the tip between the dive op and boat captain, to make sure that it gets distributed. I try to do that with the smaller dive ops, but with the larger ops, I assume that giving it to the DM, in full view of either the captain or one of the other DM, will ensure that it gets distributed properly.

On our last trip, we did over 20 dives with the same dive op, a one-boat operation. We got excellent service, so I tipped the boat captain an extra $50 at the end of the trip. I also tipped the DM/owner because it was such a great time. This might have been a little over the top, but then I was tipping cab drivers all week, before I found out that wasn't the "norm" in Cozumel. No wonder they were smiling so much....

We tip each day with the amount being in the 10%-12% range. Show me something spectacular :martian: , do something out of the ordinary :35: or save my life :jaws: and there's a good chance they'll get more.

I think of it like service at a restaurant , I see it this way: 10 percent is the starting point...if service is above average, it goes up from there; if things start going crummy, and people aren't enjoying, it starts going down. of course, things are very different on a dive boat with a group of your friends and fellow club members...some think it was great...some think it was poor.We tend to tip as a group about 10 percent.

Question:
In a restaurant, if the owner is your server, it is customary not to tip the owner. Does this hold for a dive operation? If the owner is your DM or captain...tip or no tip?

Obviously, tips are not required, but they certainly are appreciated by the crew.

A standard and fair tip tends to be $5 per tank per diver, which as Canucklehead said, is $10 per person for a two-tank dive, $15 for a three-tank dive. If you think they deserve more, then by all means feel free to give them what you think is fair. However, I agree, that if they didn't do anything and didn't lift a finger for you, then tip less as you see fit.

Someone suggested $5 per day, that is actually pretty low and is even less than 10% as some have suggested. Keep in mind that these guys work very hard before, during and after you get on/off the boat. The tips are typically split among the entire crew, whether the crew consists of 2 or 5 crew members depending on what boat you are on. So this means at best, they are getting $2.50 each if you follow the $5 rule. For a two-tank dive, these guys put in an average of 5 to 6 hours, or even more sometimes. Hopefully this will give you some perspective.

As far as whether to tip everyday or at the end of the trip. Again, that depends on who you are diving with. If you are going to have the same crew all week, it is fine to wait until the end of the week. However, if you are on different boats and/or have different crews each day (very likely with the larger operations) then I recommend tipping everyday. While most of the divemasters/captains are honest and won't cheat their co-workers, don't depend on them to be honest and split the tips up fairly at the end of the week among 5 or 6 or more people. Make sense?

A little off topic, but someone referred to it "like tipping in a restaurant" where 10% is the starting point. Actually, I don't know if you have ever worked in the restaurant industry, but I put myself through college that way (over 10 years ago) and the standard THEN was 12% to 15%. Standard tipping for restaurants these days is more in the 15% to 20% range and 10% tip typically indicates very subpar service within the industry and restaurant regulars. Inflation affects the service industry too, don't forget that.

As far as tipping the owner of the dive op, I will use myself as an example. If I take a trip out or am working with a student on the boat, and receive a tip, I give all of the tips to my crew, that is my personal choice. I have an excellent crew and in my opinion, they deserve more than I do...AND...it can help make up for those who don't tip at all :)

However, this policy really depends on the operation. For example, there are several independent operators that run the whole show. They are the owner/operator and divemaster. They dive everyday and do not have a full time divemaster. In my opinion, these types of owners deserve to receive tips just as you would tip any other divemaster, they are still providing you service, and probably as good or better as a normal crew would. In most instances, the tips are that owner/divemasters "paycheck". The money you pay for your dives goes right back into the business and to pay expenses (many more expenses that most of you are probably aware of). None of us are getting rich and it is very expensive to run a dive operation here.

Now, on the other hand, if the owner of a larger or high volume shop like Dive Paradise, Aqua Safari, Sand Dollar, Dive with Martin, Papa Hogs, or Aldora, etc. etc. were to get on the boat as the divemaster, this is more than likely a specal occasion or a special treat for the customers and a tip would not be necessary in my opinion, they probably would not accept the tips or just tell you to give it to the crew. The truth is, the owners of the larger dive ops don't have the pleasure of diving everyday because there is just too much to take care of on land. I run a small operation obviously, but my focus these days is on students and running the office. I am fortunate to have an excellent crew that I can depend on to take care of things on the boat :)

I hope this provided perspective without offending anyone because that certainly wasn't my intention! :)

Back
Top Bottom