what wetsuit to wear in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rachelscott51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Haven't been to Cozumel before and I don't know what kind of wetsuit to bring with me. Should I wear a 3mil shorty or jumpsuit? Less? I dive in Seattle in a 7mil farmer john combo, if that gives you a hint about my warmth. And, wore a 3mil farmer john combo in Hawaii. Thanks.

rachelscott51:
Haven't been to Cozumel before and I don't know what kind of wetsuit to bring with me. Should I wear a 3mil shorty or jumpsuit? Less? I dive in Seattle in a 7mil farmer john combo, if that gives you a hint about my warmth. And, wore a 3mil farmer john combo in Hawaii. Thanks.
We were in Coz in the beginning of Sept. and we're comfortable in a 3mm full. We mainly wear a full for protection especially on the wreck dive. It was a little warm before getting into the water on the first dive, water temps were in the high 70's if I remember correctly.
Have a great time, don't miss Palancar Caves and Santa Rosa Wall!!

I usually wear a .5 mm jumpsuit but sometimes dive with no exposure suit. My wife gets cold in her .5 mm. She usually wears a 3mm jumpsuit and was quite comfortable for a week last summer when I packed her 5mm jumpsuit by mistake. Water temp last week was 84 degrees at depth and a bit cooler on the surface.

We dive with 3mm full. If you dive with less, you will start to get cold over the course of a full week of diving...IMHO.

3mm is fine. I always dive a microprene/1mm full suit and never get cold. My wife dives a 1mm Oneil polarfleece. Basicaaly a 1/2mm. Works great for her.

Depends upon your personal tolerance for cool water. I used a 3mm full wetsuit the first day in Cozumel, and switched to the 1/2mm full suit for all of the other days (two trips, 22 dives) I have never had a problem with getting cold, but some people get chilled even with a 3mm full suit. YMMV.

There are things in the water that you do not want to come in contact with, so a full length suit is considered a good idea by some people. Yes, we all know that you are supposed to be able to stay off the coral etc, but sometimes stuff happens.

I also wear the full suit because it provides me some extra degree of protection from the sun. Yes, it can get warm sitting in the sun, but a wetsuit makes very effective sunblock!

Wristshot.

You can wear anything from a 3 mil to a .5 mil. I don't know if you were warm or cold in Hawaii, the temp is usually warmer in Cozumel. If you were too warm in your 3 mil you could probably get away with less in Cozumel. What the heck, dive naked, then I would also recommend the sunblock. Maybe start a new trend in Coz, "no suit Fridays" then people would be sure to stay away from the coral on Fridays. LOL

No suit Fridays!

I'm not sure I want to inflict that pain on the rest of the boat.

But I've seen a few I wouldn't mind taking up the idea. :eyebrow:

Ron

3mm full suit. Warm enough if you hit a cool spot, but not so heavy that you'll overheat. I've always felt that if you get a little warm, you can just open the collar and let a little water in, but if you get cold, you just suffer.

rachelscott51:

i didnt wear anything at 110 feet. wear a 3 just for protection though...more for that then for warmth though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom