Coz Trip Report – Nov. 13-18, 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squeekycat

Registered
Reaction score
We flew down from Houston on Continental Airlines. This was our 3rd trip to Coz, and again stayed at the Occidental Grand and dove with Blue X-T Sea Diving.

The Occidental Grand was great. The room was very clean, a/c worked very well, the food was very good, the bathroom was huge, and the maid service was very good. The one thing about the hotel that we didn’t like was that on this trip they only served lunch at the outdoor beach restaurant. The floor was sometimes slippery, and there were flies all over.

The diving with Blue X-T Sea was great! Christi and her staff are excellent. They were on-time each morning, took us to great dive sites and treated us very well. In between dives, dry towels and windbreakers were supplied as well as a fresh water rinse. Also they gave us all the water we could drink, juice, home-made muffins, brownies, sandwiches and assorted other munchies.

On this trip we did our AOW certification and Christi was our personal instructor. We had an awful lot of fun during the course, especially with my husband trying to swim a square during his navigation dive. Christi said she needed a geometry book to try to figure out some of the patterns he was swimming, although to hear him tell it, he swam a perfect square and that we were just ganging up on him!

Oh, and Christi lent me one of her dee-rags which worked like a charm taming my wild hair under water. I highly recommend them. I just ordered one for myself - available from Dee on this board.

In summary, we had another great trip to Cozumel. We would recommend the Occidental Grand without hesitation – a great AI, and it goes without saying, we strongly recommend Blue X-T Sea Diving.

We are already planning our next trip as soon as we can save up some more money!!

Glad you had a great time

glad you had a great trip. Can you give more details about the blue xt team, number of divers on the boat, how attentive the DM's were while under water, etc.. I am looking for my next dive company to use.

SoCalOffshore:
Does the Occidental offer a kids program?

We didn't see any activities for kids while we were there. From reading a lot of threads on this Board, I think the Allegro, which is also owned by Occidental, is a better choice if you want an AI and you have kids.

skeet:
glad you had a great trip. Can you give more details about the blue xt team, number of divers on the boat, how attentive the DM's were while under water, etc.. I am looking for my next dive company to use.

Christi has an excellent team. Her boat Shamu, has a capacity to carry 6 divers comfortably. It is a fast boat and is in good condition. It also has a cover over it to give needed shade, and also has music.

Hector (Mago) the boat's captain knows the location of all the dive sites. He sets up the tanks, helps divers on with their gear and always has the boat close by when you surface from a dive. He handles all of the equipment, and makes sure you have water and a towel as soon as you are ready. Christi will hold and rinse your gear for you while you are diving with her.

Pedro, our dive master was very experienced and professional. He gave us a nice briefing before every dive and was great at finding lots of critters and beautiful swim thrus.

When a diver reached 700 PSI, he/she signaled Pedro who would signal the diver to join up with his buddy and start their ascent to a safety stop - one of two ways. Pedro would give you a safety bouy and line to use yourself or he will put one up for you. This allows all of the divers to maximize their bottom time. The DMs are always aware of where every diver is, and will periodically ask how we were on air and on our computers.

Christi, the owner/operator, is an accomplished dive master/instructor in her own rite, and when she's on board you have even more experience working for you.

We highly recommend Blue X-T Sea, and will use them whenever we go to Coz. If you're looking for a dive operator, you can't go wrong using Blue X-T Sea.

Squeekycat:
If you're looking for a dive operator, you can go wrong with using Blue X-T Sea.

That's not really what you meant to say, is it? ;^)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom