Cozumel for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debpope

Reaction score
Is Cozumel not a good place to consider for a trip if we only have 10 logged dives?

We're looking for somewhere affordable to go with non-divers for a week.

The shop we dove with in Riviera Maya in Mexco (we did our cert with them) said there's a lot of sketchy shops in Cozumel that will just suit you up and throw you in so to speak.

I'd have to say that Cozumel is not unlike any other diving destination...if you're concerned about safety of the dive operation some research is required. That said, my wife and I were absolute neophytes when we were in Cozumel and the DM didn't just 'throw us in'. For the price of a typical two-tank dive around here in the great lakes we had two DM-guided dives (Pelagic Adventures) with what appeared to be new equipment. Do a search and you'll see that some shops that are highly recommended, while others are not. Most of the dives were in the 40-70 foot range, several with significant current. Regarding activities for non-divers...that shouldn't be a problem. We had a great time, both in and out of the water. We plan on returning as soon as possible.

Sean

Cozumel was my first dive trip after getting my cert. i too had 10-15 dives when i went.
Because I was 15 at the time i was the only kid, so i guess everyone looked out for me a little more than usual. But even without the extra support I would have been fine, as Sprange said the DM’s on our boat were very helpful, very knowledgeable, and always cheerful. I cant comment on the rental gear as i brought my own, but i'm sure that it would be in good condition as cozumel attracts so many divers, a dive shop cant afford to get a bad rep for not having good rental gear.
If you go you will have a great time!

debpope:
Is Cozumel not a good place to consider for a trip if we only have 10 logged dives?

The shop we dove with in Riviera Maya in Mexco (we did our cert with them) said there's a lot of sketchy shops in Cozumel that will just suit you up and throw you in so to speak.

Not in my experience, not any more, anyway. I hear that it used to be that way, but since the popularity of Cozumel diving has exploded, so has scrutiny. Most ops are aligned with one or more of the SCUBA international organizations. It's something you can monitor, though; if you feel an op is not giving you the care that you think you need, take your business up the street. With the fierce competition between ops that is quite easily done.

As to the suitability of Cozumel diving to the neophyte to the sport, I can only speak anecdotally; I dove Cozumel the first time as a rank novice, with zero dives after finishing my cert only a week before. My first real dive was on Tormentos Reef, and was an experience I will never forget. Fantastic!

Yes and No. When you leave the US, and the oversight of our courts and insurance companies, the rules can change into mere guidelines or just suggestions. I've been three times with three different, well known operators, and every time I saw newbies lead on dives beyond their training. :eek: Rememberer two things:

Follow your training; and

Follow your training!

I did my first trip to Key Largo and went out with an operator that catered to newbies. That's probably safer.

If you do go, make sure you have Trip Insurance and DAN insurance both. Drink 2 or 3 quarts of non-diuretic liquids a day, and if you drink any reverse osmosis water, match that with an equal amount of Gatorade. Carry a safety sausage, a storm whistle, and 2 CDs glued back to back for signaling, in case you come up away from the group in the current, and watch out for boats and jet skis. :bandit_2:

debpope:
Cozumel is fine for new divers, just pick your shop well. Some shops are better for new divers and people who dive once every few years. Some are better for more hard core divers that just want to do their thing. A select few do well with both types. Do some searching on dive ops.

debpope:
I'm not sure I would consider Cozumel a good place to go with non-divers, depending on what they want in a vaction. There are some ruins there, but they are nothing compaired to the ones on the mainland and other than that about the only thing to do is dive, snorkle, beach, shop, and eat.

James

well- just to be argumentative..... I would be a little cautious.

take heed of what DandyDon said- stay within yor trainign and comfort level and follow the advice to pick a shop well. Although when I went to cos last year I had cmpleted AOW and near to 100 dives, I am a cautious diver. I went to an op with a reputaion for catering to newbie divers- a big 'cattle' boat with lots of other newbies. My experience was far from safe, or pleasant. I am sure the only thing that kept me from injury was my awareness fo safety factors. they were definately in the 'suit up and throw in' brigade.

that being said, I think I was just unfortunate in my choice of operator. The 'only' thing I would caution newer divers about for coz is to be aware of bouyancy- with the 'live drift' diving they do in Coz you need to be perfectly weighted AT THE END OF THE DIVE to assure you can hang in 15ft without a line to do a safety stop. I had never emptied a tank in my life- so had a few bouyancy probs and felt uncomfotable doing a safety stop in a current. Also carry a safety sausage and use it as the number of boats in the area can make it a little hazardous.

Many hundreds of divers, lots of them newer divers, got to Coz every year and have a blast. I am sure you will love it as most do, just be a little more aware of what is required for a drift dive. Theres a good list in one of the threads above.

As for Coz being good for non-divers, it depends what they want- if they want beach and watersports and shopping, then it is great. I think with a family, it can be one of the better dive areas for non-divers.

As for Coz being good for non-divers, it depends what they want- if they want beach and watersports and shopping, then it is great. I think with a family, it can be one of the better dive areas for non-divers.

I look at Cozumel with a diver's view, but - strangely enough, most of the resort people there are non-divers. They seem to go to relax in the tropics mainly.

I too had 10 post cert dives when I went to Coz. It was great. Sucked air big time on my first dive since it was my first drift dive, did better on the second dive. Diving in Coz is like flying, it was great. However, know you limits and have a decent buoyancy control and you'll have very little problems, if any.

I have newbies booked on the Cozumel Singles Trip I've organized, but - I have 2 six-pack boats and the safest operator on the island. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom