First time to Cozumel. May 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgbfoundry

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. Haven't posted here before, but in preparation for my first trip to Cozumel, I thought I'd say hello and "test the waters".

I've been certified since 1992, and dive pretty irregularly. Florida keys a few times. Bonaire for a week. Phuket during Christmas of 2004. Whenever we travel, I like to try to dive. It's all the better when the best thing to do at the destination is dive. My wife dives too, but has problems equalizing. I'm going to dive *a lot*. At least a 2 tank dive every day for 4 days. I'd love to squeeze in a night dive too. Bonaire was great for that.

I'm leaning towards Aldora or Scuba with Alison. I like the big tanks that I hear Aldora has. We really don't want an all inclusive. Much rather see what the town has to offer.

Can anyone offer decent accomodations for the week? I really want a cold clean room, maybe a kitchenette. On the beach.

Just getting started here, so I'll shut up now. I'm looking forward to using ScubaBoard!

Paul Threatt

Paul, you came to the right spot. You can get the entire spectrum of information here about all that Coz has to offer. I just got back, 5 nights, 4 days diving with wife and daughter. You got "in town" or "AI" to choose either good restaurants or resort. No beach in town.

We wanted good restaurants and stayed at the Casa Mexicana. Good rooms, friendly and good service, great breakfast and that's it. Deep Blue was a good Dive OP, close to hotel and friendly, knowledgeable, helpful DM's. Lots of diving options.

Good restaurants in town; La Chosa, Espeses, La Mission, Prima

Check out Palancar reefs; Bricks, Horseshoe and Caves (www.cozumeldiveguide.com)

Lot's of other advise here for the taking!

rgbfoundry:
Hello all. Haven't posted here before, but in preparation for my first trip to Cozumel, I thought I'd say hello and "test the waters".

I've been certified since 1992, and dive pretty irregularly. Florida keys a few times. Bonaire for a week. Phuket during Christmas of 2004. Whenever we travel, I like to try to dive. It's all the better when the best thing to do at the destination is dive. My wife dives too, but has problems equalizing. I'm going to dive *a lot*. At least a 2 tank dive every day for 4 days. I'd love to squeeze in a night dive too. Bonaire was great for that.

I'm leaning towards Aldora or Scuba with Alison. I like the big tanks that I hear Aldora has. We really don't want an all inclusive. Much rather see what the town has to offer.

Can anyone offer decent accomodations for the week? I really want a cold clean room, maybe a kitchenette. On the beach.

Just getting started here, so I'll shut up now. I'm looking forward to using ScubaBoard!

Paul Threatt

Another good source of info on options of where to stay is www.islacozumel.net they have the hotels as well as b&b's etc....
BOTH Alsora & Scuba With Alison are GREAT! You will be very happy with either one!
Holly
www.photocozumel.com
ISLAND PHOTO-VIDEO CENTER of COZUMEL

the Grand and Allegro are all-inclusives and pretty far south iwth high cab fares to town, probably not what your looking for. we always stay at La Ceiba, it is going thru some renovations now in preperations for it to be turned into a mostly time share resort, but was just there in Sept. and the construction wasn't a bother. usually good a/c in rooms, refrig., no kitchenette.
never dove with either of those folks, would recommend Dive with Martin they will give you magnum tanks on request and are a very good dive op. with some of the best prices around, cash only but with a 5 dive package (i think) you get a free night dive, and with a lot of dives like you are thinking about they'll give a 10% discount on the full package.
we're looking into the Keys ourselves this April, any info on dive ops you've used and places you've stayed would be greatly appreciated.
you can send me a PM with this info if you want.
thanks, and happy diving!!
marc

jawfish:
I love your avatar! Welcome to the boards and have a great time in Cozumel.

I agree, great avatar Paul.

As noted before, no beach in town. If you want beach, you will have to go either north or south. North has some nice places and good beaches, but it not very convenient for diving as most dive OP's will not pick of north of town. To the south there are some pretty nice places with very nice beaches, but for the most part they are all inclusive and kind of remote. Almost every dive op will pick up from the resorts to the south.

I heartily recommend the Cozumel Map from Here It is more than just a map. If is also an island guide. You will be able to see where all the hotels are located, which will help narrow down the list of hotels to choose from.

Liquid Blue also has the large steel tanks, 100's and 120's. Blue XT Sea diving uses the normal AL 80's, but can get AL 100's if you request. I recommend both of these operators, BTW.

Back
Top Bottom