Cozumel Trip Report Dec 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAIBdiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
December 2004

I wasn’t sure if I’d like Cozumel, but my girlfriend had been there the year before and really wanted to go back, so I went along and I had a great time !

We staid at Hotel Cozumel and our dives where with Dive Paradise. (Arranged through Bay Adventures). The hotel and dive operation staff where great. The rooms where clean and the AC worked fine. You couldn’t find an unfriendly person if you tried. I’ve read a number of times on this forum that the food at Hotel Cozumel wasn’t very good – I heartily disagree. There were good choices and plenty of healthy food. Fresh fish and veggies. Salad bar and soup. Pasta prepared fresh and the deserts where good too. Breakfast and lunch (great fresh salsa) had plenty of choices as well. They even made a special birthday cake for my girlfriend. It was real "Mexican" food. Some of the little evenig entertainment was good, some wasn't. The one big outdoor buffet they had one evening was outstanding !

At first I was freaked out by the MULTITUDE of divers. I thought for sure that the boats would be jammed, but Dive Paradise had plenty of boats and they are very organized in assigning divers to boats. We never where in the water with more than six divers in our group. All the fills were 3100 + I was disappointed though that Nitrox wasn’t readily available. Maybe in the future.

The dive sites chosen where by popular vote amongst the divers and there was no problem on the distance south. The dive briefings where great as well as the dive masters. As long as I’m mentioning DM’s – my first stage started leaking air and DM Antinio took it to the shop where he worked out of to be repaired, promised me it would be returned in an hour and a half. He personally brought it to the hotel, repaired and in the promised time, ready for my afternoon dive. The repair cost $10 (US) – now all of you out there know your local dive shop wouldn’t have it ready in an hour and a half, personally take it to your home and charge you $10.

We did 2 tanks in the morning for 5 days as well as an afternoon dive for 4 days. I have to say that without a doubt the afternoon dives where always the best dives of the day with more animals. Especially turtles. On our dives we saw all the animals that would be expected (only larger) and both my girlfriend and I got lots of great video. I especially liked the deeper swim throughs and in our group all the divers with video cameras (4) took turns being the first through various swim throughs. Oh yea, night dives at the hotel where really good too. Even though there wasn’t coral and it wasn’t “spectacular” at night there were lots of different animals. I got video footage of 3 of the largest Caribbean octopus I’ve ever seen as well as an Atlantic Torpedo Ray that didn’t know he wasn’t suppose to be that far south or west. The night hotel shore dives lasted well over an hour each time and they were a lot of fun. These were not included in our package, so we had to pay for a tank (well worth it)

As far as current and drift diving, Currents ranged from ripping to almost nothing. It was a lot of fun and reminded me of St. Lawrence (Ont) diving - only a little warmer and more pretty stuff to see.

I chose to only take u/w video equipment (no still u/w camera on this trip) because of drift diving. I think that was a good choice. It would be hard to hover over a coral head and do lots of macro there. If nothing else, you'd burn up a lot of air trying.

Water temps where 79 - 80 3mm for me and 5mm for her. We were both very comfortable.

Evenings we’d walk to the local supermarket for snacks and sodas. We went into town for the Sunday night fiesta and visit shops and go see the harbour– that was fun. On our last day we hired a taxi for the day and did a tour around the island that included the Mayan ruins. Out taxi driver was days away from taking his “tourist license” test, spoke English very well and gave us a great tour. We were his “final practice”.

Well, being skeptical about going to Cozumel at first, I can’t wait to go back !

One last though - the wreck dive (C-53) was fun and we saw lots of animals including a migration of eagle rays, but I think they should relax the "no glove" rule on this one. (Lots of sharp metal and lots of fireworms)

NAIBDiver 1

NAIBdiver1:
I chose to only take u/w video equipment (no still u/w camera on this trip) because of drift diving. I think that was a good choice. It would be hard to hover over a coral head and do lots of macro there. If nothing else, you'd burn up a lot of air trying.

I think you made the right choice. I found that still photography in Cozumel both frustrating and more difficult than other places with little to no current.

naibdiver1,
welcome to this board.
you gave a very good trip report.
i was glad to read your positive remarks about the resort.
since plg is no more i've been searching for another place.
imo cozumel is one carribean destination one likes to repeat.
regards

I will be in Coz tomorrow night!! Wooohoooo. Are you telling me that they won't let you wear gloves on the ship wreck?????? That's rediculous. I dove the Cancun wreck c-55 last year and cut my finger on some rusty sharp metal. There was a brand new diver right in front of me and when we exited the wreck the current pushed him back into me where I was pushed up against the boat, which led to the cut finger. I made sure to head to the clinic when I got home for a tetnus shot. I was planning on bringing my gloves on this trip specifically for C-53.
Tucker

Tucker_2004:
. Are you telling me that they won't let you wear gloves on the ship wreck??????
Tucker

DM's where pretty stict enforcing the "No glove" "No knife" rules. There was a harbor patrol boat when we did the C-53

diveborg:
I think you made the right choice. I found that still photography in Cozumel both frustrating and more difficult than other places with little to no current.

We like to think of it as ....CHALLENGING!
Holly

www.photocozumel.com
ISLAND PHOTO-VIDEO CENTER of COZUMEL

Photocoz:
We like to think of it as ....CHALLENGING!
Holly
That it was, but I still got to see my first seahorse. I'm looking forward to a return trip, but that will have to happen after a trip to British Columbia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom