Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rwb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well we've finally booked everything for a late Feb. trip to Coz. Can anyone tell me about the Blue Angel Dive Shop? The other question I have has been answered before I think with a variety of answers, but her goes. Water temp. in late Feb.(20-27) any gueses and is it best to pay in Pesos around town or USD, we are Canadian so we have to convert anyway????
Bob

I dived with Blue Angel - click the trip report below and/or ask any questions you have! Had a great time.

We used a combo of pesos and US dollars. We changed dollars at Chedraui and at a money exchange place just a couple of doors up from, oh heck, what is that restaurant in town that everyone but me raves about? Chedraui was painless and you get a lovely receipt that has all the details.

rwb:
Well we've finally booked everything for a late Feb. trip to Coz. Can anyone tell me about the Blue Angel Dive Shop? The other question I have has been answered before I think with a variety of answers, but her goes. Water temp. in late Feb.(20-27) any guesses and is it best to pay in Pesos around town or USD, we are Canadian so we have to convert anyway????
Bob

I dove with Blue Angel last May for the first time, and I liked them a lot. They are economical and competent, and their DM's are great. Are you staying at Caribe Blu? My family and I have been staying there at last once a year since about 1981; we love the place!

Water temp will be in the high 70's.

Some folks go to a lot of trouble to pay in the currency where the deal is the best, but in my experience it really doesn't make a whole lotta diff to the bottom line. FWIW, it's always a little better to pay taxis in pesos. I don't know about Canadian bucks though.

Great shop, no question. And since you're staying at the Blu, you'll get unlimited free shore diving if you dive with them.

I stayed at Caribe Blu and dove with Blue Angel 2 weeks ago: 3 days of morning boat dives and 3 shore dives (unlimited and free). You'll love the place and Blue Angel. I can't wait to return. Jeannie, the English speaking U.S. retiree manager, runs a terrific operation there. Both the Hotel and the dive Op are owned by the same gentleman.

rwb:
Well we've finally booked everything for a late Feb. trip to Coz. Can anyone tell me about the Blue Angel Dive Shop? The other question I have has been answered before I think with a variety of answers, but her goes. Water temp. in late Feb.(20-27) any gueses and is it best to pay in Pesos around town or USD, we are Canadian so we have to convert anyway????
Bob

One girl we came down with at Christmas did a few dives with Blue Angle. She is very critical and had no problem with them.

Ron

The dive operation is owned by Alejandra Almada (Ale or Alex). She has been in the diving business for a long time. She has a very good crew of boat captains and divemasters. She owns 4 boats , three of them are fast boats (no more than 8 people) and one "No Problem) which can accomodate more than 12. The Carib Blue used tobe the Old La Perla. They have spiffed it up and it is laid back.

The beach dives are wonderful in front of Carib Blue, just be careful with the currents. The divemaster I have dealt with are Jorge (the Cuban guy), Ramon, Maxi ( the Argentinian Instructor) and Mateo (Matt the hairy American).

If you can show that your diving skill level is up to their standards, they are one of the few operations that will take you to "No Name Reef" or Barracuda on the North end.These sites are great for seeing Eagle Rays.

I just got home late last night after staying seven nights at Caribe Blu and diving with Blue Angel. Blue Angel is an excellent dive operation for what they charge. I have only been on the fast boats and they do motor along at a good clip to the sites (put your towel under your butt). The DMs all have their own particular styles but they try to match diver's abilities on the boats and the divers mostly pick the sites that are done. Ramon especially has a democratic election on the boat to decide where to go. If you want to do Devils Throat you have to be an advanced experienced diver and everyone on the boat has to want to do it. If you want to do Maricaibo (sp?) or Barracuda you have to be advanced, experienced, have dove with them enough to prove it, and arrange with enough other divers in advance to make it worth their while to do the trip. If you want to do the cenotes on the mainland, which I highly recommend, speak to Matt (Mateo) Moran in advance. He is an experienced and excellent cave guide and will take 2 to 4 divers on the trip. If you have not done this try to do the Dos Ojos cenote, it is indescribable - 300 foot plus visibility and an strange beauty you have to experience if you are a capable diver.
The temp was 78 degrees on every dive except the cenote which will be a few degrees colder ( depending on if it is all fresh water or layered fresh over salt water).

Dove with Blue ANgel last may. Very competent, reasonably priced dive operation. Friendly staff and very safety conscious. No complaints.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom