Trip Report - Fiesta Americana & Blue XT Sea Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelp68

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I took our first trip to Cozumel last week.

We only stayed 4 nights, which was the most we could get away while leaving our young son at home.

We stayed at Fiesta Americana and we had 3 days of diving with Christi's operation, Blue XT Sea Diving.

Diving

We loved the diving and thought that Christi's dive operation was great. As others have written, her boat, Shamu, picked us up at the pier in front of our hotel every day exactly when Christi told us it was going to be there.

The boat was small, so there are no large groups. There was plenty of shade on the boat, and the boat was quite fast. We usually passed a number of boats on the way to our dive sites.

The divemasters (Javier on the first day and Pedro on the 2nd 2 days) were always making an effort to be helpful. The boat captain, Hector (nicknamed Mago), was also very helpful. Ask him to try his magic tricks for you.

The boat was always right there when we surfaced. We had good bottom times on all of our dives governed only by NDL limits and air consumption. Nothing was predetermined or limited.

Snacks, beverages, dry fluffy towels and nice parkas for all of the surface intervals were an enjoyable bonus. Our surface intervals were long and relaxing on the beach. I was glad to have conservatively longer surface intervals for safety reasons.

The dives themselves were amazing. My only disappointment was not seeing any eagle rays. Oh well, I'll just have to go back on another trip.... :wink:

We saw some pretty big nurse sharks and sea turtles. It was the usual cast of characters for the area, and it was great seeing all of them, especially for first-time Cozumel divers like us.

The other reason we'll have to go back sometime soon is because we did not get to meet Christi. She was sick. Christi, we hope you're feeling better.

Ahead of time, my wife was a little nervous. We're both new divers, but she's even less experienced than me. Ahead of time, she was concerned about depths and currents. She thought the dive police would be hanging out at 60 feet to arrest her and that any currents were going to sweep her away.

Aside from her doing great and enjoying all of her dives tremendously, she did not find anything challenging or scary once she was in the water. What we learned is that we really loved the currents and the drift diving, and that they were nothing to worry about. We just relaxed and enjoyed.

Remember to have your equipment serviced regularly. One of the connections on my bc inflator hose loosened while I was at 75 feet and air bubbles were suddenly swooshing all around me. I just disconnected it, tightened what loosened, reconnected and proceeded. Fortunately, I did not lose much air because I disconnected it quickly. But, this might not have happened at all if I'd been better about having my gear serviced....

Travel

Our travel experience was a bummer. The airline lost one of our bags. I had a carry-on with my regs and computer. We each had a checked bag with clothes and toiletries. We also had a 3rd checked bag with the rest of the scuba gear. The bag with my clothes and toiletries was lost. At least U.S. Air lost the correct bag out of the 3 of them.

Hotel

Fiesta Americana was nice. Our room was clean and spacious with a nice ocean view. The staff was friendly and helpful.

We did not do the all-inclusive package. We ate breakfast and lunch on the property every day before and after the diving because it was quite convenient to do so. The food wasn't great, but the lunches ordered off of the menu were good and the breakfast buffet was decent.

The pool area was nice, and the beach area was nice as well.

The taxi ride into the downtown area cost $6 U.S. each way.

Dinner

We went downtown for dinner every night. We ate at La Choza, Primas, La Pearlita and another restaurant recommended by Christi although I can't remember its name. Christi?

La Choza was in the downtown area so it was mostly tourists, but it was good for people watching. The food was great Mexican food. They had the best sauce for their tortilla chips I've ever had.

Primas was also in the downtown area and was all tourists. The food was good here, as well.

La Pearlita was off of the beaten path. In fact, while the taxi was taking us there, I was wondering where the heck we were being taken. However, this was, by far, the best meal we've had while traveling in a long time. My wife and I highly recommend this place. This was all Mexican dishes and fresh seafood. Awesome meal.

The last restaurant, which Christi had mentioned was her favorite on the island, was also fantastic. The food at this little restaurant was outstanding, and this was also a bit off of the beaten path. I strongly recommend this restaurant, too, and I'll hopefully provide the name once my brain starts working again or Christi helps out.

Anyway, the food was great and I definitely recommend eating dinner in town as opposed to on the resorts.

Overall , this was a great trip and was definitely not long enough. But, it was nice getting away for a few days and we cannot wait to return. Now we have our next trip to look forward to, which will be to Mont Tremblant in Canada for a ski/snowboard trip in a few weeks. Talk about extreme opposites. Brrrrrr!

Michael

We'll be doing something similar in April. We're planning on 4 nts at FA and 3 days diving. Debating about doing the AI or not. I'm sure we'll end up having breakfast and lunch at the hotel, and also drinks (non and alcoholic) too. The extra for the AI package isn't that much. Do you have any idea about how much you spent on food and drink at the hotel for your stay?

Also, did you do any shore diving?

We spent enough on the breakfast and lunch meals at FA that I will probably pay for the AI just for that, next time.

I think that the charge for the breakfast buffet was $15 U.S. and for lunch, I cannot quite remember.

Definitely go downtown for dinner, though.

We did not do any shore diving. We took the afternoons for napping and reading. Having a young son at home, we really enjoyed the post-dive relaxation time and the opportunities to just sit and read with no interruptions.

Michael

Great trip report! Could the restaurant you can't remember the name of be Especias?

Scubagal:
Great trip report! Could the restaurant you can't remember the name of be Especias?

Yes, that was it. Thank you. I've been pulling my hair out trying to remember it. :11:

Especias and La Pearlita were the two dining highlights.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I would e-mail you, but my e-mail server is down for maintenance for a couple hours.

I am also very disappointed that I didn't get to meet you after our months of e-mails. You were here during the worst four days of my flu! I am feeling alot better and getting most of my energy back, although still pretty congested and not quite ready to dive. Thank you for asking.

I owe you a t-shirt :wink: I will send it to the address I have in your file unless I hear otherwise from you.

The restaurant had to be Especias or El Moro. El Moro is way back "in the hood" and Especias is the small restaurant in town at the corner of Calle 5 and Av. 10. Adrian would have been your host. Going there tonight as a matter of fact! yummmm.....

I'll definitely make sure to meet you next time. have fun on your ski trip!

Nice report. I'm planning a trip to Cozumel this summer and considering a trip with Christi.. From this report, I'm leaning more towards Chisti now. I like that personal service.

Has anyone stayed at the Caribe Blu (old Hotel Lorena)? I would like to know about the shore diving and rooms.

michaelp68:
My wife and I took our first trip to Cozumel last week.

We only stayed 4 nights, which was the most we could get away while leaving our young son at home.

We stayed at Fiesta Americana and we had 3 days of diving with Christi's operation, Blue XT Sea Diving.

Diving

We loved the diving and thought that Christi's dive operation was great. As others have written, her boat, Shamu, picked us up at the pier in front of our hotel every day exactly when Christi told us it was going to be there.

The boat was small, so there are no large groups. There was plenty of shade on the boat, and the boat was quite fast. We usually passed a number of boats on the way to our dive sites.

The divemasters (Javier on the first day and Pedro on the 2nd 2 days) were always making an effort to be helpful. The boat captain, Hector (nicknamed Mago), was also very helpful. Ask him to try his magic tricks for you.

The boat was always right there when we surfaced. We had good bottom times on all of our dives governed only by NDL limits and air consumption. Nothing was predetermined or limited.

Snacks, beverages, dry fluffy towels and nice parkas for all of the surface intervals were an enjoyable bonus. Our surface intervals were long and relaxing on the beach. I was glad to have conservatively longer surface intervals for safety reasons.

The dives themselves were amazing. My only disappointment was not seeing any eagle rays. Oh well, I'll just have to go back on another trip.... :wink:

We saw some pretty big nurse sharks and sea turtles. It was the usual cast of characters for the area, and it was great seeing all of them, especially for first-time Cozumel divers like us.

The other reason we'll have to go back sometime soon is because we did not get to meet Christi. She was sick. Christi, we hope you're feeling better.

Ahead of time, my wife was a little nervous. We're both new divers, but she's even less experienced than me. Ahead of time, she was concerned about depths and currents. She thought the dive police would be hanging out at 60 feet to arrest her and that any currents were going to sweep her away.

Aside from her doing great and enjoying all of her dives tremendously, she did not find anything challenging or scary once she was in the water. What we learned is that we really loved the currents and the drift diving, and that they were nothing to worry about. We just relaxed and enjoyed.

Remember to have your equipment serviced regularly. One of the connections on my bc inflator hose loosened while I was at 75 feet and air bubbles were suddenly swooshing all around me. I just disconnected it, tightened what loosened, reconnected and proceeded. Fortunately, I did not lose much air because I disconnected it quickly. But, this might not have happened at all if I'd been better about having my gear serviced....

Travel

Our travel experience was a bummer. The airline lost one of our bags. I had a carry-on with my regs and computer. We each had a checked bag with clothes and toiletries. We also had a 3rd checked bag with the rest of the scuba gear. The bag with my clothes and toiletries was lost. At least U.S. Air lost the correct bag out of the 3 of them.

Hotel

Fiesta Americana was nice. Our room was clean and spacious with a nice ocean view. The staff was friendly and helpful.

We did not do the all-inclusive package. We ate breakfast and lunch on the property every day before and after the diving because it was quite convenient to do so. The food wasn't great, but the lunches ordered off of the menu were good and the breakfast buffet was decent.

The pool area was nice, and the beach area was nice as well.

The taxi ride into the downtown area cost $6 U.S. each way.

Dinner

We went downtown for dinner every night. We ate at La Choza, Primas, La Pearlita and another restaurant recommended by Christi although I can't remember its name. Christi?

La Choza was in the downtown area so it was mostly tourists, but it was good for people watching. The food was great Mexican food. They had the best sauce for their tortilla chips I've ever had.

Primas was also in the downtown area and was all tourists. The food was good here, as well.

La Pearlita was off of the beaten path. In fact, while the taxi was taking us there, I was wondering where the heck we were being taken. However, this was, by far, the best meal we've had while traveling in a long time. My wife and I highly recommend this place. This was all Mexican dishes and fresh seafood. Awesome meal.

The last restaurant, which Christi had mentioned was her favorite on the island, was also fantastic. The food at this little restaurant was outstanding, and this was also a bit off of the beaten path. I strongly recommend this restaurant, too, and I'll hopefully provide the name once my brain starts working again or Christi helps out.

Anyway, the food was great and I definitely recommend eating dinner in town as opposed to on the resorts.

Overall , this was a great trip and was definitely not long enough. But, it was nice getting away for a few days and we cannot wait to return. Now we have our next trip to look forward to, which will be to Mont Tremblant in Canada for a ski/snowboard trip in a few weeks. Talk about extreme opposites. Brrrrrr!

Michael

Great report Michael. I have been to Coz 22 times and we always eat out . I always like to hear about new places.I have been to all those places you mentioned except La Pearlita and Especias. Let me ask you if I may, a couple of questions.Which was the more expensive and which do you think had the best seafood. I LOVE the lobster in Cozumel and usually go to Primas for that but I am open to suggestions and CHRISTIE if you're listening, I'm always looking for a deal on grilled lobster. Been looking ever since Rincon Maya shut down. Thanks all.

Mawg:
Great report Michael. I have been to Coz 22 times and we always eat out . I always like to hear about new places.I have been to all those places you mentioned except La Pearlita and Especias. Let me ask you if I may, a couple of questions.Which was the more expensive and which do you think had the best seafood. I LOVE the lobster in Cozumel and usually go to Primas for that but I am open to suggestions and CHRISTIE if you're listening, I'm always looking for a deal on grilled lobster. Been looking ever since Rincon Maya shut down. Thanks all.

I always recommend Prima or Lobster House (north end across from Playa Azul) for the best lobster. There is a new place at the corner of Av. 5 and Calle 7 called Lobsteria, but I have no idea how good it is. I've heard that it's very reasonably priced and "good." I've also had a few good lobster tails at La Choza on occasion for less than $15 USD. Money aside, Prima and Lobster House have the best lobster.

Christi:
I always recommend Prima or Lobster House (north end across from Playa Azul) for the best lobster. There is a new place at the corner of Av. 5 and Calle 7 called Lobsteria, but I have no idea how good it is. I've heard that it's very reasonably priced and "good." I've also had a few good lobster tails at La Choza on occasion for less than $15 USD. Money aside, Prima and Lobster House have the best lobster.

Thanks Christie, kind of you to reply so quickly. I've heard that the Lobster house is just as good as Primas. Gonna have to try it. Been going to La Chosas since Felipe Quinones told me to go there in 1993. I'll have to try their lobster.Usually get whatever fish they have that day. I remember stopping at the Lighthouse on the southern end in 1992 before it was developed into a park. The caretaker there had sort of a cafe set up, if you wanna call it that underneath and adjacent to the lighthouse. I ordered cold conch ceviche and a corona and it was really good. He charged me 9 pesos. I think those days are gone.

Patrick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom