Do I need a wet suit in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlitt

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a newbie question:
Just wondering if I need a wetsuit or a shortly when diving in Cozumel? The maximum depths I plan on reaching is 80' feet.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'd take a wetsuit with me if I were going to Cozumel, especially if you're doing multiple dives daily. A 3mm shorty should be more then enough. As I understand it the water temperatures are in the mid 70s to low 80s in Cozumel. I had the same in Hawaii and found a 3mm to be plenty comfy.

Brandon.

I'd use a 3mm full if you're diving more than once a day. A shorty might be warm enough but won't protect you if you come across a stinging critter.

I agree with the Welshman....A shorty is probably plenty for warmth purposes, but you still have skin exposed to potential scrapes, stings, bites, etc.

As much as I love wearing my shorties, if theres critters in the water with me, I would wear full exposure protection. The water temp at 80fsw will be a bit cooler than at the surface, and you will lose body heat even in warm water. If your down any length of time it will start to get chilly. Id go with a full 3mm jumpsuit.

Dove Cozumel in January in my shortie. 12 dives the first six days, some deep, and only got cold after I took a day off from diving. But, and encounter with some fire coral taught me that I need a full 3mm wetsuit. Water temp was 78 to 80 F. Warmer than Maui.

Surely point of this is who has ever overheated in the water. The only downside to a full wetsuit is that its slightly more difficult to get on and off and if it's hot then you sweat buckets waiting on the dive deck to go down. Our instructor in Thailand where water was 27/28c wore a 5mm full suit.

I just returned from Cozumel. The water temp. was running at 82 F. I dove with Dive Paradise on the Tango with Pepe as my DM. Our group dove with Shorties, skins and bathing suits. I used a 3MM full suit and was just fine. On occassion I flushed it with water to cool it. Nobody reported being cold, even the swim suit people...but I thought they looked a little 'blue.'

We dove (3) dives a day for five days. Stayed at the Costa Club. The highlight of the trip for me was being dropped infront of the Tourist Submarine at 60 Ft. or so. I was able to swim up and hang on to a seam under the windows and look in and wave at the occupants. I then was able to swing up to the top deck and hold on to the rail on my back on the top deck and ride along 3 to 4 knots enjoying the ride. It was awsome :eek:ut:

That is a hard question to answer. It depends on the individual. My boyfriend dives there in his swim trunks & a T-shirt. While I have on a full 7 mil wetsuit & am happy as a clam. I agree about having a full wetsuit, as you never know what you might run into. I think my boyfriend is nuts to dive without a wet suit.

Was there about 2 weeks ago. I used a 3mil. But on the boats, folks were wearing anything from a tee-shirt to a 5mm with hood and gloves. It depends on how cold you get and how many dives you're planning for each day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom