Cozumel w. Diablo Divers & Eagle Ray Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Driznik

Contributor
Reaction score
About two weeks ago I visited the Mayan Riviera for the first time. I was travelling with non-divers, so we ended up staying on the mainland at the Grand Xcaret just south of Playa Del Carmen.

After doing a lot of research here and on other boards and sites around the Net I selected and reserved with Diablo for a day of Cenote diving and two days of wall / reef diving with Eagle Ray before I left. Both were great experiences.

The Cenote diving was very cool. I had never done anything like it before, but Dennis made it easy on me. I ended up being the only one booked on the day I dove. Most companies would have tried to move me a day ahead or a day back to get me into a larger group, but Dennis still took me out - and was my private guide for the day. Dennis picked me up at the hotel and we did two of the easier Cenotes (Ponderosa & Taj Mahal). When I dive I've always been about aquatic life, but the Cenote was a really interesting and different - in a good way. There wasn't much life once you got into the Cenote, but with the rock formations there was a lot more to see than I expected.

Dennis provided a good briefing to get me comfortable with the overhead environment and was fully geared out - providing lights, carrying redundant breathing gear, etc. If you're in the neighbourhood and interested in trying a Cenote dive I highly recommend Diablo Divers.

I had a great experience with Eagle Ray as well. Chellie @ Eagle Ray did a great job communicating with me before I went. From Xcaret getting to Cozumel is a bit of an adventure. I had to take a cab from the hotel to Playa del Carmen (about 10 minutes and $8 or 80 pesos depending how you are paying each way) and take the Ferry over to Cozumel (about 40 minutes and $9 each way). From the Ferry terminal I took a cab to La Caleta marina where their boats depart from (around 10 min and $6 each way). It actually wasn't as complicated as it all sounds - I found most of it through independent research before hand, but then Chellie included it all during our email exchanges, so she made it easy on me.

The first day I was out with a group of about 7 other divers on one of their larger boats with Bernardo as dive master. The second there were 5 of us with Bernardo again on one of the smaller, faster boats. I was meeting friends back on the mainland for dinner, so I only did two tanks both days (although they offered a third tank) - all four dives were drift dives with a wall in the morning and a wall crest or reef for the afternoon. Both days we dove fairly out of the way sites - though we passed a lot of the cattle boat operations on our way back in.

Both the Cenote and Ocean dives were great. There are a couple of other places I want to dive before I come back, but I'll definitely be back and when I do I'll stick with the same operations.

D

Nice info about the trip to and from, bet lots of people had wondered about that! Nice to hear that you alone were still taken on the day you were booked, speaks volumes for that dive op!! Thanks for sharing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom