Update on my "bent" friend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After 5 chamber rides, he is 1000% better, but still has alot of healing to do. He had his last treatment on Friday and has been confined to bedrest and seeing the Dr. everyday to evaluate his progress and symptoms. The Dr. released him today so he will be able to fly home on Friday.

He was diagnosed with inner ear DCS which is very rare in recreational divers, but nonetheless, can absolutely happen, even after only one dive...he is living proof.

We should all know this and practice this, but the way the Dr. described it was eye opening.

We all check our equipment before we go in the water, but what most of us don't do is pay attention to what our bodies are telling us. We need to take note of how we are feeling before every dive. If we come out of the water feeling different or worse than we did before the dive, get O2 and go to the chamber to get checked. If it's nothing, so be it, but if it's something, this prompt treatment can literally be the difference in 1 treatment or five and possibly permanent damage. Pay attention to your body and what your body is telling you! Do not dive if you feel bad, are dehydrated, extremely fatigued, etc.

He is very lucky and is expected to make a full recovery. I had dinner with him tonight and it was very encouraging to see how much he has improved from what I saw last week. The Dr. has actually recommend 6 months SYMPTOM free before he dives again, which will equate to about a year most likely.

Good news for your friend that he will recover, keep us informed.

Christi:
After 5 chamber rides, he is 1000% better, but still has alot of healing to do.[/url]
Glad to hear he is better... You're obviously a good friend!

Any advice on another Insurance Provider? I have DAN now but would possibly look elsewhere when it's renewal time.

Tim, you had DAN correct? Any problems?

Christi, that is good news indeed. It has been an eye opener for me, I can tell you. I will listen to my body a bit more intently and hydrate more than I have been doing.

Since this news on DAN ins is so startling I think you should start a separate thread to that affect and get this info out to other divers. Is this solely because it is Cozumel, or is it their practice World wide?

Moodiejeff:
Glad to hear he is better... You're obviously a good friend!

Any advice on another Insurance Provider? I have DAN now but would possibly look elsewhere when it's renewal time.

Tim, you had DAN correct? Any problems?

I use PADI. Can't tell you if they are better than DAN, since I have never had to use them but I hear they are good. Maybe some other divers can fill us in?

Dive Assure is who I am now using. They are slightly higher than DAN, but policy limits are higher, they have several different policy options including the Diamond plan which includes trip cancellation insurance and trip interruption insurance for ANY reason before or during the trip, and the hyperbaric facility here said they haven't had any payment problems with them.

www.diveassure.com

Morning Christi, saw that your friend posted on another board and am so glad to hear he is better. Kudos to you for your kindness.
BTW I looked for your baby sister last night on West Wing I never did see her. Did I have the wrong night or the wrong show?
Ann

parrotheaddiver:
Morning Christi, saw that your friend posted on another board and am so glad to hear he is better. Kudos to you for your kindness.
BTW I looked for your baby sister last night on West Wing I never did see her. Did I have the wrong night or the wrong show?
Ann

Hi Ann...I got an e-mail from her two days ago: Here it is:

I told you that The West Wing I am in will be aired Feb. 23rd, then I told you March 2nd. Well, actually, it's MARCH 16th!

I'm Lisa Stanhower, assistant to Senator Framhagen (Brian Dennehy).
It's a small part but my first LA job.

Watch if you can.
Hope you're well!
Love you!
Michelle

I decided I wasn't posting it until i knew FOR SURE she was going on...haha!

I will mark it on my calender. Since I met her when she was with you in Houston I guess I feel like that will be my brush with a famous movie star :wink: Unless you can count a few weeks ago I had my picture taken with Willie Nelson. :eyebrow:

We've got the DAN Preferred Plan and I just read the policy details. It says that the policy covers up to 7 chamber treatments, and anything over 7 has to be pre-certified National Baromedical Services. It says it also covers the physician's charges. Total coverage for dive-related accident or injury, according to the policy details of this plan are $250,000 lifetime.

I know there are cheaper plans but the DAN Preferred seemed the best. Our policy is up for renewal end of April. Guess it's time to do some homework before renewing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom