My Cozumel Plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hockeynut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just got back the 3rd and had a great time. No you get no trip report because I'm not very good at that sort of junk. I did absolutely love the island and can't wait to get back there someday. Now here's my plan, or out loud thinking or whatever.

The only thing I did not like was the amount of garbage all over the place. I realize it's tough to give a crap when you're more concerned with feeding the kids and stuff. So I think they should charge every single person/tourist 5 bucks when they set foot on the island, Including all those cruise ship people. Then take the money and use it to pay for cleaning up all the garbage. No problem. It would also lower their unemployment rate. With the number of people that go there every year, they should have a decent chunk of change to start with.

But anyway, I've got to get back to my other plot to raise funds to return. Have to check the wife's life insurance policy. :eyebrow:

Hockeynut:
I just got back the 3rd and had a great time. No you get no trip report because I'm not very good at that sort of junk. I did absolutely love the island and can't wait to get back there someday. Now here's my plan, or out loud thinking or whatever.

The only thing I did not like was the amount of garbage all over the place. I realize it's tough to give a crap when you're more concerned with feeding the kids and stuff. So I think they should charge every single person/tourist 5 bucks when they set foot on the island, Including all those cruise ship people. Then take the money and use it to pay for cleaning up all the garbage. No problem. It would also lower their unemployment rate. With the number of people that go there every year, they should have a decent chunk of change to start with.

But anyway, I've got to get back to my other plot to raise funds to return. Have to check the wife's life insurance policy. :eyebrow:

Maybe I didn't get to the right (wrong?) parts of the island, but I thought Cozumel was extremely clean, especially by Mexico standards. The beaches and water, at least, were sparkling in my opinion.

Where did you see all this garbage?

D_O_H:
Maybe I didn't get to the right (wrong?) parts of the island, but I thought Cozumel was extremely clean, especially by Mexico standards. The beaches and water, at least, were sparkling in my opinion.

Where did you see all this garbage?

Along the road all the way around the island. Also the beaches on the east side had tons of junk in places. Junk that I'm sure washes ashore but it looks like lots of it becomes permanent fixtures.

Hockeynut:
Along the road all the way around the island. Also the beaches on the east side had tons of junk in places. Junk that I'm sure washes ashore but it looks like lots of it becomes permanent fixtures.

I think that we can probably thank the cruise ship folks for a lot of that.

When the world uses the ocean as a garbage can, the stuff that float eventually comes ashore somewhere. There are way more freighters and fishing boats that dump at sea than there are cruise ships, even though I'm sure they do their share of dumping too.

Yep, there is a lot of trash that gets washed ashore on the East side.

Junk? A couple for guys I ran into at Christmas commented about that.
I was there again last week.

By all accounts Coz is very clean,there might be the odd vacent lot
where there is stuff around but this is off the beaten track and unless you are a local would never see it.

The cruise ship crowd is great for business but not exactly environmently friendly and I feel since more cruise ships have come, the island has changed and in some ways not for the better.

Ron

Ron Brandt:
The cruise ship crowd is great for business but not exactly environmently friendly and I feel since more cruise ships have come, the island has changed and in some ways not for the better.

The change is definitely pronounced, and IMO, you can change that "some" to "most".

I've seen quite a bit of garbage at times as well. In the north along side of the road (Where tourists generally never go), and also at the road leading to the marina. There's a cave entrance near by, and I saw many locals every day eating by the open water. it was pretty obvious they just tossed everything into the bush and the water. We spent a lot of our S/Stops cleaning up the entrance to the cave. Glasses, bottles etc...

I aked my cave "guy" why they did that. He said most just don't really know any better.

The places we've stayed however, were very clean, and I can't say as I've noticed a garbage problem while in town.

Yeah, the litter is a eyesore, and really an easy fix with education and repect for your country and land. I've noticed that even in the good 'ol U.S of A. here of late the litter problem seems to getting worse along our highways and byways. For a while our "Don't Mess with Texas" campaign seemed to be working pretty good but now it just seems that people are starting to be more self centered again and doing what they want.
When in Cozumel and here at home, lead by example, if folks see you using a trash can or picking up some discared trash maybe it will strike a posive chord with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom