New Divers and Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been lurking around a bit and thought I'd finally register and post.

I'm going to Cancun in November for the 2nd time with my family. We went for the first time two years ago, and spent a day in Cozumel. We absolutely loved it!

The reason I am posting is that I am, relatively speaking, a new diver and would like to dive Cozumel. I got my PADI open water cert in Guam in 1998 while in the Navy and only did 3 boat dives and 2 beach dives before packing up and heading home. I haven't been diving since. Is Cozumel too advanced for a newbie like me?

I'd love to see Palancar, can anyone recommend a non-cattle boat operator that has the patience for inexperienced divers?

Also, and this may be too much to ask, but I will have two experieced divers in my group and one other new diver. The rest of the family will be snorkelers and or people interested in trying snuba, but too afraid to get certified yet. Does any operator take mixed groups like this out to the reef for snorkeling, snuba and diving?

I really want the non-divers to get a taste of diving so they will get over their fears and get certified. I think if they see what they are missing, they'll wish they hadn't been afraid for no good reason. All are strong swimmers who have snorkeled in the past and have been to Cozumel and snorkeled Chankanab Park. All of us have snorkeling gear, and will have BCD's to rest in open water when needed.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Are there good shore dive sites on Coz?

Oops.

I would consider a private charter for the three divers in your group. Tell the dive shop that you need a refresher dive before the group goes out together. I am about to take a buddy down for his open water referral in Cozumel so I definitely would not consider Coz too advanced for a new diver.

borninthewater,
welcome to this board.
you're in the right spot looking for info on coz.
do a search here on dive ops and you will find one that will meet your needs.

Blue XTSEa
Liquid Blue
Living Underwater
Dive with martin
Blue Angel
Blue Bubble
Deep Blue
Papa Hogs

everyone loves coz, no matter what their level of experience.
regards

I dove Cozumel as a newbie and took my girlfriend there for her first ocean dives. Lots of books and such rate it as an "advanced dive". But I don't really agree. It's not bad at all, and actually tons of fun in the drift currents.

BTW, I hate the search function. Go ahead and type in "Cozumel" and you'll get over 500 pages of returns. It's kinda frustrating.

Just keep posting your questions, people love to answer on here...it's why this board is so great.

Coz offers something for everyone. We take divers to be certified as well as truely advanced dives to Coz.

A shore refresher dive also sorts out your weighting prior to your boat dives

We usually have enough divers to get our own boat. As usual I will recommend Troy at Pelagic Ventures a call or email.

Details can be found on my sig at the bottom of my post.PM me if you would like. Be sure to tell Pelagic I sent you.

Ron

I've dove with Sand Dollar Sports, Dive House, and Dive Paradise. I think you'll find that most operators are patient with newbies there. They are used to it, and the Mexicans are pretty cool about catering to individuals. Once you get underwater, as long as you don't destroy the reef, no one will have a problem with anything. Hell, the last time I was there, I saw a husband and wife diving and the husbands tanks slipped out of the strap and he was holding it by the reg in his mouth until she strapped him back in at 90 feet. The DM didn't really even look at them. But then again...they were talking about "how much diving they've done" when they were topside....

borninthesignofwater:
Hi all, I've been lurking around a bit and thought I'd finally register and post.

The reason I am posting is that I am, relatively speaking, a new diver and would like to dive Cozumel. I got my PADI open water cert in Guam in 1998 while in the Navy and only did 3 boat dives and 2 beach dives before packing up and heading home. I haven't been diving since. Is Cozumel too advanced for a newbie like me?

I'd love to see Palancar, can anyone recommend a non-cattle boat operator that has the patience for inexperienced divers?

Also, and this may be too much to ask, but I will have two experieced divers in my group and one other new diver. The rest of the family will be snorkelers and or people interested in trying snuba, but too afraid to get certified yet. Does any operator take mixed groups like this out to the reef for snorkeling, snuba and diving?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Are there good shore dive sites on Coz?

Staying in Cancun and diving Cozumel can be problematic unless you move to Cozumel for a night or two. Otherwise, travel time will eat large chunks of time, unless you fly, which will eat large chunks of money.

There are dives for divers of just about every level of experience on Cozumel, but I'd advise getting a few dives under your belt before going to Palancar. Is there a way you can get some diving in near where you are?

My own bias is to avoid SNUBA. It is every bit as dangerous as SCUBA at the same depth, and training is minimal to nonexistent. And that little unmuffled chainsaw motor is obnoxious; I hate them. Someone set up a couple of them out behind our hotel once for a couple of hours, and just about drove us all nuts.

There's not a whole lot in the way of shore diving on Cozumel; none of the really good sites are accessible except by boat. Chankanaab isn't bad, though; it's really shallow and the snorkeling is good, too. I don't think they let SNUBA gear in there, though.

Cheers,

Thanks for the responses. Personally I don't see the value in snuba. Its diving light, or diving with training wheels. But, I can't convince the non-divers in my group to get certified. They are too afraid and want to try something intermediate between snorkeling and diving first.

I plan on doing some dives with my lds this summer in the Sea of Cortez. I paid for my brother-in-law to get his open water cert and he and I plan on logging some time before heading to Coz. I might just go for my advanced and nitrox certifications over the summer to get a little more confident in the water. There is no way I plan on missing out this time around.

As far as staying in Cancun goes, yeah, I know. I rode the bus up to Playa Del Carmen and caught the ferry over last time, so I know how long that can take. I have a buddy who can give us a ride in the early morning this time around though, so I'm not too worried. I'll be happy to catch an afternoon dive and spend the rest of the evening in town.

I am glad you said you are going to do some diving before heading down to Coz. I would not advise diving anywhere if the last time you dove was 1998. I would get some refresher instruction/dives to get back into the swing of things, so to speak. Your first dive in Coz could be 90 feet on a wall with NO bottom in sight. You better have good bouyancey control. Have fun, Coz is awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom