Warning about medical conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In this business, you run across all types of people and all kinds of situations. Most you just deal with and move on, but some warrant some discussion and reminders to divers out there.

If you have had back surgery or any surgery in the past year or two, particularly in the past 3 months, wouldn't it make sense that a dive operator would want a Dr.'s release? Your dive operator should not have to tell you that when you make reservations. As a certified diver, it is understood that if you have existing medical condistions, that you should check with your Dr. before participating in SCUBA.

I was just verbally attacked for turning someone away with very recent back surgery and no Dr.'s release. Ironically, the woman who had had the surgery was very kind and level headed. Her friends on the other hand were completely unreasonable.

I know they will find someone to take them diving, but I did what I thought was best.

Christi:
I was just verbally attacked for turning someone away with very recent back surgery and no Dr.'s release. Ironically, the woman who had had the surgery was very kind and level headed. Her friends on the other hand were completely unreasonable.
In every standard population bell curve 80% of the population falls into that part of the curve not inhabited by the 10% on either end of the spectrum. The 10% who really have their acts together are seldom the problem. Sounds like you ran into a few inhabitants from the remaining 10% at the opposite end of the curve. Unfortunately there is no cure and they will never change. It's regretable that stupidity isn't painful. The best you can do is to try to avoid them.

Good call on your part. :)

Christi:
Her friends on the other hand were completely unreasonable.
Hope her friends are not diving on your boat. Chances are that they will be unreasonable about other safety issues as well.

Christi:
If you have had back surgery or any surgery in the past year or two, particularly in the past 3 months, wouldn't it make sense that a dive operator would want a Dr.'s release? Your dive operator should not have to tell you that when you make reservations. As a certified diver, it is understood that if you have existing medical condistions, that you should check with your Dr. before participating in SCUBA.

Sortof off topic, but I'm curious. Was the condition apparent or do you include a medical release in you paperwork?

...Oh, and if it's safe for the lady to dive, I'm sure her doctor will quickly fax you a release.

Christi:

IANAD, but a year seems a bit extreme. If she just rolled out on a gurney an hour ago, then it's an easy decision. Anything in the middle, I'd want her doctor's OK to be on the safe side, especially considering how lawsuit happy we seem to be these days.

There are plenty of other operators on the island. Let one of them take the risk if they are so inclined. I'm with you on this one.

You know, in this age of faxes and broadband internet access, it seems to me that her doctor's approval shouldn't be that hard a thing to get, even from Cozumel.

For my own piece of mind, I would have checked into it and gotten the extra paperwork from my doctor if my diving depended on it. I think you made the right call and I agree the friends may have been unreasonable on other matters too.

James Goddard:
Sortof off topic, but I'm curious. Was the condition apparent or do you include a medical release in you paperwork?

I have basic medical release on the dive application. Again, the woman who had the surgery was very nice and never once said anything nasty/insulting to me. While she was filling out her paperwork, she asked about being able to put equipment on in the water. We were discussing different options for entry and exit and I don't remember if I asked when her surgery was or if she volunteered the information, but regardless, it was just a couple of months ago. I told her I would be happy to take her diving with a Dr.'s release. I even got on the phone with PADI so she could hear it from them that a release was needed and I wasn't just being unreasonable. PADi also suggested having her have the Dr. fax the release and I also offered to have the hyperbaric Dr. examine her and see if he would give her a release, but she didn't want to do that for whatever reason.

I issued her a full refund of the deposit for her AND her dive buddy even though it was a last minute cancellation and I've turned several away for those spots.

Sometimes no matter what you do, you become the "bad guy" as I did in this situation. It didn't feel good, and I know I need thicker skin sometimes...but people really astonish me sometimes. Her friends didn't hesitate to tell me they already went diving with another operation on the island yesterday. I told them, I am sure you will find someone to take you diving, but your safety is more important than your money to me. Having spots open up at the last minute sure doesn't do me any good, but i know I did the right thing.

ggunn:
IANAD, but a year seems a bit extreme. If she just rolled out on a gurney an hour ago, then it's an easy decision. Anything in the middle, I'd want her doctor's OK to be on the safe side, especially considering how lawsuit happy we seem to be these days.

There are plenty of other operators on the island. Let one of them take the risk if they are so inclined. I'm with you on this one.

You know, in this age of faxes and broadband internet access, it seems to me that her doctor's approval shouldn't be that hard a thing to get, even from Cozumel.

Well, a year was sort of an arbitrary number. On the PADI form, it acually says, "Have you ever had or do you currently have..." and then it lists all kinds of medical conditions. On MY form, I ask if they are unders the care of a physician, tkaing any medications, any medical conditions we should be aware of. There are no set time limits on anything, but her surgery was in mid to late january...too fresh for me to say OK without a Dr.'s release. I feel bad for her, but I also don't want her to have problems and like you said, it is a liability risk on top of everything else.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom