Whale shark season-Isla mujeres/holbox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halocline

Contributor
Reaction score
When is typically the best time to go to Cozumel to catch the whale shark trips from either Isla Mujeres or Holbox? I'm hoping to get a few days in Coz this summer, and would like to combine it with a whale shark snorkeling trip. I guess I've heard late June-early July, but somehow that doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks, Matt

I'm not sure about the trips from Cozumel, it may be a bit far? Here's a Holbox site with whale shark info to get you started. http://www.islaholbox.com/whaleshark.html There's lots of information on the site. It looks like the season for whale sharks, dolphins and turtle nesting all coincide. A few days on Holbox might be interesting to take in all these activities.

mattboy:
When is typically the best time to go to Cozumel to catch the whale shark trips from either Isla Mujeres or Holbox? I'm hoping to get a few days in Coz this summer, and would like to combine it with a whale shark snorkeling trip. I guess I've heard late June-early July, but somehow that doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks, Matt
June 1 - Aug 31
From here in Cozumel - Blue Angel runs GREAT trips!!! Go to: http://www.lorenz.pl/angel/usver/intro/page1.htm
Yes it is a bit far but can be done! And worth every bit of exhaustion from it!!!!!

scubawife:
I'm not sure about the trips from Cozumel, it may be a bit far? Here's a Holbox site with whale shark info to get you started. http://www.islaholbox.com/whaleshark.html There's lots of information on the site. It looks like the season for whale sharks, dolphins and turtle nesting all coincide. A few days on Holbox might be interesting to take in all these activities.

Thanks for the link and info, it's just what I was looking for!
Matt

Hi Antonio, was just searching for threads about whalesharks and didn't notice the post date... hopefully the information will still be helpful though...

cozumelian how do you find a post to answer that is 5 yrs old...??

Because when the objective is to advertise for business, you want to get as many posts on the first page of a forum as possible. If they're a day old or 5 yrs old, it doesn't really matter. :D

Anyone following the forum is going to catch on within a few posts... when I see someone doing this it's a turn off and makes me want to avoid whatever company is being promoted. There's a "Trips and Local Marketplace" Cozumel sub-forum. That would be an appropriate place to post about your business, services, etc. :wink:

Hi guys

Our first obective is to be helpful, that is why I posted a link to another thread on this forum in which other users recommend tours, not a link to a commercial website.

This is useful, relevant information for this thread too and is not an advertisement for business, although I accept that a tour we sell is mentioned in the other thread.

Local people and businesses can offer excellent advice and their involvement in discussions is valuable for many. Of course, blatent advertising should not be acceptable and regular users will usually see straight through it anyhow, as Scubawife so rightly mentions.

I think it's important to encourage locals to participate, but without letting them get away with overtly commerical posts. We follow this philosophy and Scubaboard does an excellent job of moderating it too.

I've seen other boards where locals are banned from saying anything and this completely backfires, they just invent ficititious users instead and post comments without declaring who they really are...

Our first aim is to be helpful, but please forgive us if we have a genuine reason to mention a product we sell as part of that..!

Thanks!

Ian

---
This is Cozumel - news, information and travel bookings from Cozumel Island in the Mexican Caribbean.

Usually the whale shark season starts in the middle of May and goes all the way to the middle of September. As far as I heard they will start with the operation on May 15th.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom