Practical Questions for The Experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi everyone! This sub forum has been an amazing resource for info and ideas! This sub forum rocks! Chrsti and MoodieJeff have been better than ANY travel agents!

My wife and I are heading to Cozumel for the very first time in 16 days (June 13-20) and I was just wondering, will I need to bring my Dry Suit, 200 Gram Thinsulate undersuit, hood, 400 gram socks, wicking layer and Argon bottle? Can I get an Argon fill?

Just kidding.

Seriously though my questions are for the experienced Cozumel travelers.

1) One thing I am always worried about is tipping. I'm Italian so tipping is sort of a genetic thing that must happen on a regular basis. :) What are average tips here and there? How much do you tip the Bellman, how much do you tip the Dive Operator/Dive Master? What would be considered generous but not over the top for various services.

2) Where do you exchange currency? Do you have to? Will the good ol' green back do the trick?

3) I've read all about the restaurants but not one of the reviews mentioned the one at our hotel (The Presidente) is it good?

4) Is there anything I can do to make the next 16 days go by faster? I'm thinking of heavy sedation. :)

Oh well, I'm excited so if there any folks who can give me some ideas please chime in.

Thanks!
-Chris

CALI68:
Hi everyone! This sub forum has been an amazing resource for info and ideas! This sub forum rocks! Chrsti and MoodieJeff have been better than ANY travel agents!

My wife and I are heading to Cozumel for the very first time in 16 days (June 13-20) and I was just wondering, will I need to bring my Dry Suit, 200 Gram Thinsulate undersuit, hood, 400 gram socks, wicking layer and Argon bottle? Can I get an Argon fill?

Just kidding.

1) One thing I am always worried about is tipping. I'm Italian so tipping is sort of a genetic thing that must happen on a regular basis. :) What are average tips here and there? How much do you tip the Bellman, how much do you tip the Dive Operator/Dive Master? What would be considered generous but not over the top for various services.

2) Where do you exchange currency? Do you have to? Will the good ol' green back do the trick?

3) I've read all about the restaurants but not one of the reviews mentioned the one at our hotel (The Presidente) is it good?

4) Is there anything I can do to make the next 16 days go by faster? I'm thinking of heavy sedation. :)

Oh well, I'm excited so if there any folks who can give me some ideas please chime in.

Thanks!
-Chris

If you bring your drysuit, I'm cancelling your reservations! haha :lol2:

I was going to e-mail you with this...but alot of people can benefit from this info, so I'll address your questions here :)

How much do you tip the Bellman?
A good rule of thumb is $1 per bag and maybe an extra $1 or $2 if he does alot in getting your room set up when you arrive or is extra helpful. You will find that service at the Presidente is top notch.

How much do you tip the Dive Operator?
Well, the average is about 50% of your bill...:lol2: No, just kidding...no tips to the operator...but I am really low on my Starbuck's supply! Cafe Verona whole bean. Seriously, if it's not out of your way...like if there's a Starbuck's on every corner where you live, I would be forever grateful and of course will reimburse you!!!! :multi:
Dive Master?
Standard is $5 per tank per diver. Some people give more, some people give less. They split whatever you give them unless you specify otherwise. You can tip daily or at the end of the week...whatever suits you.

Where do you exchange currency? Do you have to? Will the good ol' green back do the trick?
You will be much better off using pesos in town to shop or at restaurants. Although the difference in the actual excahnage rate and the rates at various shops/restaurants may seem minimal...it will add up over the course of a week.

The best place to exchange money is at the various change houses, back on 30th Ave. You DO NOT need to stand in line at the bank to do this...you'll be there for an hour or more...haha!

The best TIME to exchange money is Tuesday through Thursday between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm. The lowest rates occur on weekends while the market is closed and Monday mornings before it opens and Friday afternoons right before it closes.

If you buy something at Chedraui (big grocery store) they are actually the best because tey give the ACTUAL exchange rate all the time. You cannot change money there, but you can buy something and they will give you your change in pesos.
Another option is just to use the ATM. Your bank is the one converting the rate, so you will get the best rate of the day minus any fees that YOUR bank charges you. The ATM machines here charge 50 to 75 cents.

Yes, the Italian specialty restaurant is good, but pricey. If you want Italian food, go to Guido's or Prima. The regular restaurant at Presidente is also good, but pricey. I'll give you my restaurant list when you arrive.

4) Is there anything I can do to make the next 16 days go by faster? I'm thinking of heavy sedation. :) Can't help you there :) I look forward to meeting you!

CALI68:

Just kidding.

Thanks!
-Chris

The short answer which someone here will soon revise or add to is:

Tip the housecleaning lady a couple bucks a day
Tip the divemaster $5.00 per tank
Tip the waiters and bartenders based on their service
Never tip the taxis, tips are built in.

CALI68:
[Blushing] You did join The Ambassador Club, correct?
CALI68:
Sometimes I overtip so with that in mind...
DMs get $5 a tank and then something extra, maybe $20-$30 at the end of the trip.
Christi gets a nice dinner (Will it be Mesa 17 or Guido's this coming trip?)
Bellman - $5?
Maids - $2-$3 a day
Guys who hail you a cab at the hotel - $1 (too little? too much?) i know, they really don't do much for the tip but they are all great guys.
Am I forgetting anything or anyone?
CALI68:
U.S. dollars work just fine... there are even some ATMs where you can get green backs
CALI68:
There are two:
Informal (outside resturant) Good, but expensive for what you get
Formal (Fettucini's?) Mixed reviews, probably waaay overpriced and has a dumb name.
CALI68:
Not a damn thing you can do!

Thanks a million!

Christi, I will bring you a few bags of Cafe Verona and I won't hear of any reimbursement! Have you ever tried Starbucks "Gold Coast”? It's the mack daddy Coffee IMO but if you’re into Cafe Verona...you got it!

...and I promise...no DrySuit! I'm gonna feel so naked though! Don't look at me! :)

Also, did you ever have chance to inquire about the difference between the Ocean Front rooms and the Reef Deluxe rooms at the Pres.? I called the Hotel but they just mentioned that it was the location that makes it different. The Reef Deluxe rooms are more expensive so I'm wondering what makes them better ya know?

Jeff, you're a Rock Star! I saved a ton of money thanks to you. I did join the Ambassador club. $150 buys you about $500 worth of service. Crazy stuff!!

Matt, Thanks for the info!

Keep it coming! It seem that endlessley reading threads and looking at pictures makes the wait easier. :)

-Chris

CALI68:
Thanks a million!
Also, did you ever have chance to inquire about the difference between the Ocean Front rooms and the Reef Deluxe rooms at the Pres.? I called the Hotel but they just mentioned that it was the location that makes it different. The Reef Deluxe rooms are more expensive so I'm wondering what makes them better ya know?

Jeff, you're a rock star! I saved a ton of money thanks to you. I did join the Ambassador club. $150 buys you about $500 worth of service. Crazy stuff!!
Yeah, that Ambassador club is definitely worth it... just re-upped mine. Guess where we are staying?... Again! :crafty:

The rooms that I like are called "Beachfront"... In Feb we had room 2115. They're not really on the beach, about 25 yards away maybe.

I called last night and you can get these rooms w/ your ambassador card for $279. I think they are listed on the website for over $500! If you booked just a basic room you can upgrade while there. They may try to put you in the south wing... it's nice, but too far of a walk with all your gear. If you ask for room 2115 (or closer to the water) I GUARANTEE that you will love it. You walk out your patio door the beach, Scuba Du (for shore dives) and the dock are all right there. The waiters will even bring your food to your patio. Oh, there's a bar right there too :eyebrow:

What prices did they quote you for the Reef Room?

CALI68:
Thanks a million!

Christi, I will bring you a few bags of Cafe Verona and I won't hear of any reimbursement! Have you ever tried Starbucks "Gold Coast”? It's the mack daddy Coffee IMO but if you’re into Cafe Verona...you got it!

...and I promise...no DrySuit! I'm gonna feel so naked though! Don't look at me! :)

-Chris

Oh yeh, Gold Coast is great too :)

I just got off the phone with Presidente.

Reef Deluxe rooms are bigger - 717 sq. ft vs 670 sq. ft

More ammenities in the Reef Deluxe such as:
AM/FM/CD player
Alarm clock
Flat screen TV's and larger than the ocean view TV's
King beds (but some Ocean rooms also have king beds)

And he said, "They is just nicer." :)

Unless you're going to watch ALOT of TV, I can't see how it's worth the upgrade. You can buy a cheap alarm clock or get wake-up calls if that's important to you, heck, I can loan you an alarm clock if you need one. You can even buy a CD player at Chedraui for cheap (cheaper than the upgrade) if that's important to you. As far as location...there are both types of rooms in the same areas...so that's not even necessarily an advantage.

Hope that helps! Sorry I forgot to follow up on that!

I think the Reef Deluxe rooms are down nearer to the water and are more like townhomes (could be wrong). I don't know if they are worth the extra bite. Make sure to ask for an upgrade when you check in. They usually will go from garden view to ocean view if you simply ask. The Ambassador Club thing was ok - the free breakfast, water and fruit basket were kind of nice. I can't remember any other significant perks. The on-site buffet style restaurant is okay but I would definitely go downtown for dinner. We didn't bother with the Italian on-site restaurant. Too pricey/stuffy and way too many options downtown. Definitely follow Christi's advice and check out Primas and Guido's.

Moodiejeff:
You walk out your patio door the beach, Scuba Du (for shore dives) and the dock are all right there. The waiters will even bring your food to your patio. Oh, there's a bar right there too :eyebrow:

What prices did they quote you for the Reef Room?

So the one you're talking about is ground level? Cool!

The reef front were like $100 more a night or so. Where are those?

Christi:
How much do you tip the Dive Operator?
Well, the average is about 50% of your bill...:lol2: No, just kidding...no tips to the operator...but I am really low on my Starbuck's supply! Cafe Verona whole bean. Seriously, if it's not out of your way...like if there's a Starbuck's on every corner where you live, I would be forever grateful and of course will reimburse you!!!! :multi:
Dive Master?
Standard is $5 per tank per diver. Some people give more, some people give less. They split whatever you give them unless you specify otherwise. You can tip daily or at the end of the week...whatever suits you.

Ok..$5.00 per tank, per diver - Ive also read somewhere $20.00 for the captain - maybe w/ Dive Paradise...BUT when we dove w/ you Mago did ALMOST as much as Javier did (getting gear ready, etc...) The same couldnt apply when comparing BlueXT (smaller boats) with Dive Paradise (or larger boats)...Opinion?

We tipped VERY well (I think) - but it was VERY deserved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom