Excellent News for Cozumel...Public Bus Service!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This was in the local newspaper but rather than rewriting my own translated version, I am reposting the news as posted on "Cozumel My Cozumel" so please excuse the grammatical and spelling errors :)

"New Bus Service to North and South Island"

20 Pesos in stead of $20 USDollars. The new bus services for the north and south hotel zones will begin taking passengers this TUESDAY with a new service that will be benefiting workers of the hotels, tourists and public in general, they will be operated by Union of Cabdrivers and Union of Permisionarios, each receiving two routes.

The municipal president Gustavo Ortega Joaquín did the official announcement, accompanied by the state secretary of Communications and Transportations, Sergio Manuel López Villanueva; Juan Gómez Pacheco, of the Union of Cabdrivers, and Edwin Garcia Valdez, of the Union of Permisionarios of Urban Transportation of Cozumel.

This is something I´ve advocated for five years and it is a very welcome thing for Cozumel. Traffic will become less of a problem in the near future.

I want to encourage the visitors to use this service so the city will know that it´s a welcome offering instead of the long standing taxi service.

The state official emphasized that with the new route he expects to promote that the people be accustomed al use of the public transportation and diminish the quantity of motorcycles and vehicles that circulate for the city and that there be a connection among these points with the center of the city.

It fits to indicate that the route in the north zone begins in the location of the park Andrés Quintana Roo, on the avenue 11, by which will displace to give return in the avenue 30, rising along the street 35 of the San Miguel II for arrive at the 65 and to give return in the Golondrina, from there take the boulevard airport and to descend finally to the Rafael. Melgar and to continue toward the north hotel zone.

By the south, the route initiates in the Golondrina, passing for the avenue 65, until arriving at the street 35, to turn over the right and to take the avenue 30, to arrive at the bower of the IMSS, to leave along the street 11, bound for the avenue Rafael E. Melgar, where will give return toward the left for take the south coastal highway.

This is LONG overdue and it is excellent news for the tourists and locals alike!!!!!!

Christi:
...The state official emphasized that with the new route he expects to promote that the people be accustomed al use of the public transportation and diminish the quantity of motorcycles and vehicles that circulate for the city and that there be a connection among these points with the center of the city...

Hi Christi...great news and long overdue. I'm sure the southern AI crowd will go into San Miguel much more often. More money will be spent in town instead of on taxis. I left your above quote intact to illustrate your warning about translation..it looks like it was processed by an online translator. :crafty:

Christi - great news!! Do you know if the buses will just do 'express' runs to each end, North & South? Or will it be more of a 'local' with stops along the way at the various hotels, etc. as it heads south??

That is great news indeed. I love riding busses when I travel.

Also, this may make it slightly less dangerous to use a motorcycle/moped/scooter while on the island :D

Christi:
This was in the local newspaper but rather than rewriting my own translated version, I am reposting the news as posted on "Cozumel My Cozumel" so please excuse the grammatical and spelling errors :)

"New Bus Service to North and South Island"

20 Pesos in stead of $20 USDollars. The new bus services for the north and south hotel zones will begin taking passengers this TUESDAY with a new service that will be benefiting workers of the hotels, tourists and public in general, they will be operated by Union of Cabdrivers and Union of Permisionarios, each receiving two routes.

The municipal president Gustavo Ortega Joaquín did the official announcement, accompanied by the state secretary of Communications and Transportations, Sergio Manuel López Villanueva; Juan Gómez Pacheco, of the Union of Cabdrivers, and Edwin Garcia Valdez, of the Union of Permisionarios of Urban Transportation of Cozumel.

This is something I´ve advocated for five years and it is a very welcome thing for Cozumel. Traffic will become less of a problem in the near future.

I want to encourage the visitors to use this service so the city will know that it´s a welcome offering instead of the long standing taxi service.

The state official emphasized that with the new route he expects to promote that the people be accustomed al use of the public transportation and diminish the quantity of motorcycles and vehicles that circulate for the city and that there be a connection among these points with the center of the city.

It fits to indicate that the route in the north zone begins in the location of the park Andrés Quintana Roo, on the avenue 11, by which will displace to give return in the avenue 30, rising along the street 35 of the San Miguel II for arrive at the 65 and to give return in the Golondrina, from there take the boulevard airport and to descend finally to the Rafael. Melgar and to continue toward the north hotel zone.

By the south, the route initiates in the Golondrina, passing for the avenue 65, until arriving at the street 35, to turn over the right and to take the avenue 30, to arrive at the bower of the IMSS, to leave along the street 11, bound for the avenue Rafael E. Melgar, where will give return toward the left for take the south coastal highway.

This is LONG overdue and it is excellent news for the tourists and locals alike!!!!!!

Good news all around. I assume it is 20 pesos no matter the distance. Are the buses air conditioned? I got on a bus in Quepos, C.R once for 40 miles without A.C. and dont want to go through that again.

Whoo hoo! this is good news! Maybe it will keep some Gringo drivers like me off the streets!!

That is great news! I'm amazed the taxi union is going to "allow" this. While we were living there they once blockaded the city hall and the mayor received death threats over some proposed public transp.

Someone who has used this service. Tell us more. How far south and north does it go? Does it run up and down the beach road through town or is it farther back into the neighborhoods or both?

What is the cost? Air conditioned? How often does it stop (some typical transit times from known points (FA, Grand, etc) would be helpful.

Sounds like a great option but need to know more.

Rich Hagelin

Don't know if anyone has asked this question yet or not but will they allow wet gear bags? Would save our group a ton of hassle if they do.

Back
Top Bottom