Diving Cozumel and Grand Cayman on Disney Cruise in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usnadiver03

Reaction score
My family and I will be diving Cozumel and Grand Cayman on a Disney Cruise this coming April. I was wondering if anyone has done this before, and if we should use the planned cruise trips or not?

usnadiver03:
My family and I will be diving Cozumel and Grand Cayman on a Disney Cruise this coming April. I was wondering if anyone has done this before, and if we should use the planned cruise trips or not?
Sure, lots of people have done this, including me. In fact, scuba diving was the main reason for us to go on a cruise. The diving isn't the best, but it is a decent compromise if you are traveling with non-divers like I do.

If you haven't already, first read The pro's and con's of diving with the ship's excursion . This might help you decide if the ship's excursion is right for you. Personally, I prefer to make my own arrangements, but I don't know if that is the right thing for you.

In GCM for a boat dive I like www.neptunesdivers.com They take a max of 8 divers, their schedule is flexible to accommodate ships different arrival times, and best of all (at least for me) is they will let you do your own dive if you want. Of course you can always follow the guide and Casey and Keith are nice people. Since the divers pick the dive sites, they will go to Stingray city if that is what people want, weather permitting of course.

If you are budget minded, shore diving is another good option. In GCM you will take a tender to shore as there is no pier for the cruise ships to dock at. Two blocks to the right of the tender dock, there is the Eden Rock dive site. There are 2 dive shops right there for rentals, wwwedenrockdive.com and http://abanksdivers.com.ky. If you don't have a buddy with you, you will have to either wait until you find a buddy at the shop, not too difficult, or hire a guide. I don't think they will rent gear to a solo diver. A little past Eden Rock there is Sunset House, a dive hotel with on-site dive shop. They also have a decent shore dive there and I'm sure it will be less crowded that Eden Rock. The 3rd and probably best quality site is the turtle farm shore dive by the www.divetech.com shop. You will have to take a taxi to get there, but I think it is worth it. Divetech offers guided dives there, or if you have a buddy, just rent gear and go.

In Cozumel the better dives are boat dives. I like www.bluextseadiving.com and I'll be going out with them again in December. I have read excellent comments about www.scubawithalison.com and would recommend her even though I haven't gone diving with her. A trusted friend in Cozumel gives her an "excellent" rating. Another dive operator that many cruiser seem to like is www.eagleraydivers.com. I probably wouldn't pick them as my first choice mostly because I prefer a smaller fast boat, but for casual, once-a-year divers they seem to be a good choice. If you want to do a combo snorkel/dive trip, Eagleray offers that as does www.blueangel-scuba.com I would also consider going with Blue Angel just for diving.

Since you are sailing on Disney, I have to think you will have kids with you. You can easily do a morning dive and arrange to meet up with the rest of the family after the dives, or you can all go to Chankanaab park where you can do an easy shore dive and everyone can have a fun time. Take a taxi there, cost about $10, admission for adults is $12 and $6 for kids 11 and under. There are lockers, showers, good snorkeling, mini-golf, sea lion show (costs $10) reproduction mayan ruins to walk thru, restrooms, restaurants, on-site dive shops, and in addition to scuba, there is snuba for non-certified people. There is also a captive dolphin attraction, but please don't do it. I feel that keeping sentient creatures in captivity for tourists' amusement and the programs profit is completely wrong. Of course you are free to disagree. Lots of tourists do the dolphin swim, but I think many of them wouldn't do it if they knew more about captive dolphins. This message has more information about captive dolphins if you care to read it.

Mr. Sancho's beach club and Playa Palancar beach club both also have on-site dive operators for a quick one tank dive while the rest of the family enjoys playing at the beach.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Gosh Damselfish, you are quick. I just posted that so I could link to it in my message and you beat me to it :wink:

So which would you choose, ship's excursion or make your own arrangements? I think I already know the answer.

diveborg:
Gosh Damselfish, you are quick. I just posted that so I could link to it in my message and you beat me to it :wink:
just coincidence. Thought it was a good summary of everything I've ever heard.

So which would you choose, ship's excursion or make your own arrangements? I think I already know the answer.
Who, me? I've never done a cruise, don't know that I ever will at least in the Carribean. But I'd be more inclined to do my own unless there seemed a good reason not to, especially if I was familiar with the place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom