Carnival Cruise May 3rd to Cozumel and Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfoster33702

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning on diving both spots. I've never been on a cruise at all before - so I don't know if I should stick with the cruise sponsored dives or what? I've been told by a coworker that they registered outside of the cruiseline and saved money with no issues at all.

Any suggestions on who to dive with in these places?

Jeff

No comments on cayman as I have yet to dive there, but, I have heard good things about the following in Cozumel: Sea Robin (I dive with them quite a bit. One fast boat), Scuba with Alison, Blue xtsea, aldora, dive with martin. There are a plethora of shops to choose from, especially in cozumel. start googling and start emailing

While booking with excursions are cheaper you do run the risk of being left behind if you do not make it to the ship on time. On two occasions I have had/seen the cruise ship specifically held up for myself and other group. By booking excursions through the ship, they will ensure you are on board before they disembark. Things go wrong and your independent person may not get you back in time. I consider that a minor differential expense with the assurance that I will not have to fly to the next destination (again something I have seen parties do on cruises when they miss the disembarkation.

When in Cozumel, I use Dive with Alison. She's close to the dock, should be plenty of margin. Great dive!

Cayman may be a little tight for time since it's longer to get to the dive spots. Personally, I'd check out that one with the boat.

I think the major issue you are facing is timing, which will be governed by the arrival and departure time of your ship. Most Cozumel dive ops leave from a specific location at about 8:30 am for their morning dive and return between noon and 1:00 PM. If your arrival time does not allow you to make the standard morning departure time, you may be able to arrange for a dive op to pick you up at a time suiting your schedule, but this would depend on the dive ops work load for the day of your arrival.

There are many excellent ops in Cozumel who may be able to accommodate you. BlueXt, Papa Hogs, Scuba Mau come to mind, but there are many more as well. Your best bet would be to email several dive ops with your ship’s schedule and ask if they can accommodate your group. I am sure that if a particular dive op cannot accommodate your needs, they will suggest someone who could. Enjoy your trip

These are great suggestions. I have been on 14 cruises and dived on most of them. This includes Cayman and Coz. I'll be on the Carnival Valor this August and will be going to Coz, Cayman, Roatan and Belize.

While in Coz use one of the dive shops there. Dive Paradise, Sand Dollar or any of the other 50 or so reputable shops. Scuba Diving.com web site can help with that island. You can call the dive shop and arrange a pick-up site. They are used to that. Cayman, you can take your pick of ship or pick a land based operation. I will pick the land based as the ship's sanctioned dive shop often goes to an inferior dive site. They like playing it safe. Once again scubadiving.com can help in the selection.

Roatan, I will be using the ship only because its an afternoon arrival and the timing is short. As bhalah said its better safe than sorry. I will likely do the same with Belize.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom