Looking for suggestions on places to dive on upcomming Carnival Legend Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howie411

Contributor
Reaction score
Going on the Carnival Legend out of Tampa next month, it stops at Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan and Georgetown Cayman Islands. It looks like they offer diving in all 4 locations, but I only want to dive at 2 of them since my wife may be mad if I don't do an excursion or two with her. Out of the above places, which do you recommend.

Thanks

P.S. If it helps at all, I prefer the shallow dives but have no problem with the 70-80 foot ones too I just blow through air quick.

I would have to vote for Cozumel and Roatan. I have dove Belize a number of time off ships and it was average. Nice structure but limited viz.

I dove all 4 on a cruise off the Carnival Valor. Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, and Cosumel. The dives are limited by the curise to 80 feet and most of the dives were at 80 feet. I think that was so the dives would be short and they could do your two quickly and get you back to the ship. But that is just my opinion. Cozumel was great as so was Roatan. I am going to Belize again this June because a friend wants to go. It is a cruise, spend time with you wife in the evenings. Book her on a tour and go diving in every port. Invite her mother to come (separate cabin on other side of ship) to keep her company (that is what I did so I could dive every port). You will have the evenings with the wife and the days at sea. Tip, corner cabin with balcony at rear of ship is a great value for the small increase in price. Cabin is much larger with a huge balcony that is much larger than the others. No mater where you dive you will enjoy the dive. I was there in February and the coldest water I saw was 79F. To quote the dive site in Belize "Visibility is normally 165 Feet, if there is a storm visibility may drop to 65-100 feet". I don't know about you, but where I live 10-15 is normal unless we go to an island off the coast where 30-50 feet is the norm.

They're all good. Here's some info on the last two:

On Roatan Carnival docks at their Mahogany Bay megaport (even has an over water chair ride). The cruise operator is Anthony's Key, they'll shuttle you to their north side location for a couple of average dives nearby. Won't be particularly deep. They dedicate a boat to cruise pax afaik.

Other options are Barefoot Divers or Subway Watersports - both have cruise programs.

I like Barefoot and recommend them. Really valet diving. They do a nice lunch catered by their excellent restaurant. Also have a nice beach and an easy snorkel as the Cay is behind a natural reef so their lagoon is only about 15-18' deep at the deep end. Maybe your wife might want to hang out while you dive?

Subway also picks up and takes you to their north side Turquoise Bay resort location. Barefoot is on the south side so closest - depending on your departure time you might have time for some other sightseeing nearby. French Harbor is just up the street.

On Grand Cayman Don Fosters has the cruise contract. Also within walking distance is Eden Rock/Devils Grotto both very shallow shore dives. Nothing there exceeds 50' and there's good swim-thru's at the Grotto. Another boat dive option nearby is Lobster Pot Dive Center.

whenever my wife and I dive off a cruise we line up the diving in advance. Most people we know pick us up at the dock so we don't waste time. Usually ships are in Cozumel longer as they dock. in Cayman they tender so must leave by 4:00 PM, so any dives have to be planned
Rick

Another vote for Cozumel and Roatan.

Your Carnival cruise dive contractors:

Cozumel: Sand Dollar, okay but you can find better dive ops in Coz.
Cayman: Don Foster's, a horrible cattle boat operation.
Belize: Hugh Parkey, good but expensive due to the distance to the Turneffe dive sites.
Honduras: Anthony Key Resort, wonderful.

I've done this same cruise twice but not in the last 2 years so some of the above may have changed.

In Cozumel used Almora Dives. They are down town an $8 cab ride . They use steel 120's and get up to 70 minute dives
In Grand Cayman use Off the Wall divers (located in The Lobster Pot) but have own site : .http://grandcaymandive.com/
Neither have anything near a cattle boat

In Belize, ship has long tender ride, unless you book dive thru ship, then the operator picks you up at the ship and returns you to the ship. (may not be the best dive, but any dive beats looking at ancient ruins).
Been to Belize about 10 times (on cruises), only stepped foot in Belize twice.

I did the Legend with the same ports you are visiting back in September 2012. I was a newbie to ocean-diving, and had an absolute blast diving with Sand Dollar in Cozumel and AK in Roatan. I kept my diving to 2 days as well since I was with the non-diving wife :)

We had scheduled a cruise with most of these ports and decided to dive in Cozumel and Roatan. In Cozumel we booked with Scuba with Alison, Roatan we were going to go with the ship (Anthony's Key). In Belize we wanted to do a cave tubing tour.

Ended up canceling the cruise and diving a week in Cozumel with Scuba with Alison. She had cruisers on the boats most of the days- and I highly recommend her. We'll dive with her again whether we go for the week or port on a cruise. I told her I didn't want to dive below 60 ft and she said that was fine, but once I got down there I realized I had no problem with more depth, however she kept me at about 75 ft the whole week, and there were plenty of places to dive. Very safety conscious op, divers go up as they run out of air and she accompanies you on your safety stop, great rental gear if you need it, a small comfortable boat, and full service diving (they deal with your gear for you! The BCD was on a new tank before I even caught my breath!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom