RCCL Independence of the Seas- 3/23-3/29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumJunkie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We had three ports of call and were able to dive 2 of 3. First stop was Georgetown, Grand Cayman. The ship used tenders for transporting guests to shore. Exit early! We were able to take a walk down South Church Street and shore dive with Sunset House divers. We didn't have all dive gear, only mask/fins/snorkel/dive computer and lycra shirt. BCs and regs were rented from dive op. Tavo at the dive shop was really helpful as our last dive was in 2012 and shore diving at this location was an enjoyable low-hassle way to refresh our skills. We did 2 tanks here and had a great lunch of conch fritters, fish tacos washed down with the local flavor...Caybrew. In short, after 2 quality shore dives and lunch at this nice resort we had plenty of time to walk back to the ship (a little bit of shopping on walk back).

Our next port was Falmouth, Jamaica. The ship docks at pier at this location. Again, we exited ship early and headed OUT of the port shopping area to be picked up by Christian of Scuba Jamaica. Christian took us to his dive op which is run out of FDR resort in Runaway Bay...a scenic, memorable drive. Here we got fitted with BC's and did our first dive at a sunken Spanish Anchor site in about 60ft depth. This was a short boat ride out to an easy low-hassle wall-type reef dive. After coming back to dock for our surface-interval and tank change out handled by staff we went to another shallower reef dive with some very fun fish feeding activity going on at this site. The bread had all of us surrounded by the usual reef rascals picking at bits of bread. Very fun stuff. It is easy to miss the small sea life here and I had to tell myself to slow down as I saw 3 Flamingo Tongue snails on one sea fan that would have been missed if not pointed out by Dive Master. Upon completing our 2 dives, we were able to shower and change at the resort. We had time to stop for lunch and had Jamaican pattys washed down with local brew. Yummy! The ride back to ship was very nice and we never felt rushed on any part of our diving experience in Jamaica.

Our final port was Labadee Haiti. Here, the ship docks at pier. This was beach time only day for us as there was no scuba excursion available, only snorkeling. Beach time here was ok but the highlights of this trip were diving with the local dive ops in Cayman and Jamaica.

A BIG THANK YOU to:
Tavo (hope I have spelled correctly) of Sunset House, Cayman.
Christian of Scuba Jamaica.
:)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom