RCCL Cruise dive excursions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimbeeler

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going on a cruise next month (Royal Caribbean Navigator) and want to get a few dives in. It's going to Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. I've been to all three many times before but have never dived. My wife doesn't dive so even though there are dive excursions on each stop, I'm probably not going to dive at each port.

I'll be using the cruise line's excursions rather than others because of the ease of cancellation (I've got sinus problems that tend to creep up at any time).

Of the three locations if I was going diving on one or two of the above ports, what would be the collective opinion of the best places to dive.

Thanks...

Jim

I'm going on a cruise next month (Royal Caribbean Navigator) and want to get a few dives in. It's going to Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. I've been to all three many times before but have never dived. My wife doesn't dive so even though there are dive excursions on each stop, I'm probably not going to dive at each port.

I'll be using the cruise line's excursions rather than others because of the ease of cancellation (I've got sinus problems that tend to creep up at any time).

Of the three locations if I was going diving on one or two of the above ports, what would be the collective opinion of the best places to dive.

Belize and Roatan are both excellent.

Cozumel is also very nice if you like drift diving (I don't).

If it's offered, and you've never done one, the shark dive on Roatan is very cool.

flots.

Are you going to use the ships dive operations or book separately? I usually book my own for much cheaper and more advanced diving.

My picks in order from a cruiseship dive :

Roatan --- Great diving for all levels. I used Anthony's Key for my dives.

Cozumel --- Big Drift Diving. There are many dive ops here and I use several different depending on my buddies and or location of the dive plan. IE if it's my girlfriend I may choose one for less intense as she hates big drift (not Devil's Throat or Punta Sur) vs if I'm with my normal buddies and want deep drift.

Belize --- Diving from a cruiseship if they take you local it is ok diving IMO. If they take you 1.5 hours away to Turneffe then it can be great. I have done both. I used the cruise ship to book this last one since we were tendered and not in port and all excursions but diving had a 25 min ride to port. The dive op picked us up @ the boat and took us to Turneffe. We were gone almost 7 hours.

I am in DFW as well. Feel free to pm me and trade #'s if you want to or need more info. Always looking for other dive buddies.
Chris

Anthony's Key is the RCCL cruise operator on Roatan...

The shore excursion list for the Sept. Navigator cruises do indicate "Turneffe Atoll". I personally would do that one, unless the $165 ($185 w/ equipment) price tag put me off. And I agree with the above, Coz is gonna be an "I like drift diving or not" type of decision (I'm not really a fan of it either).

Thanks all... I have been diving in Cozumel and am not a big fan of drift diving either. The dive in Belize sound like a possibility but a really long day. I'll probably do Roatan and see how it goes from there.

Jim

Did this itinerary in December. We dove RCCL all the way. Problem is logistics in Roatan and Belize. Anthony KR in Roatan is outstanding so much so we went back and stayed with them for a week. Belize we dove from the ship because the dive op picked us up at the ship and returned us as well. We never set foot ashore. Now for Cozumel.....I love drift diving. Was raised on it. But the operator (please excuse but name escapes me) I hated. Broken down little boat - stuffed with divers - had to return to marina because they didn't have enough room for the second tanks. It was a waste of time and money. If I had to do Coz again - and I encourage you to do so. Prearrange with one of the shops directly - check you dock time and their boat times and go that way.

Thanks all... I have been diving in Cozumel and am not a big fan of drift diving either. The dive in Belize sound like a possibility but a really long day. I'll probably do Roatan and see how it goes from there.

Jim

I'd definitely do Belize.

It's a long day, but not much work. They pick you up at the ship, drive you 1.5+ hours across the water, do a couple of very nice dives then bring you back.

It's a big boat, which isn't generally good for diving, but you'll appreciate it for the long ride. Also they split up in to small groups so it doesn't feel like a mob underwater.

flots.

Well... Now Roatan and Belize sound good... Now if I can get my wife to do the "Discover" dive in Cozumel, I'll be all set... I'd love to get her interested...

Jim

Do a "discover" somewhere else with little/no current. Coz isn't the place to find out if your wife likes diving.

It's like dropping in on a race track to see if you like driving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom