Gear on Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimbeeler

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Usually I only dive once on a cruise and just use their gear. This time I may be doing a couple of dives so I was wondering how many folks take their gear (other than snorkel, mask and fins which I always take)?

It's a pain to haul all that stuff but I sure do like the familiar feeling of my own gear. I'm just not sure it's worth the hassle.

Just wonder what others do...

Jim

I've taken my own gear as well, skip the knife and just take a pair if shears.

I took all my own gear. The only thing that can be a problem is a dive knife. You will have to check it in with security and then they will give it back to you when you leave the boat to dive.

We had a room with a balcony so I rinsed my gear in the shower then dried it on the balcony.

I rarely take a knife but do take shears (I was wondering if they would confiscate them too). I always get a balcony so that sounds like a good option if I decide to take my stuff.

Thanks...

Jim

They will take knife away from you and give back every time you dive, we always take our gear since I carry it anyway!, I also line my dives up with shops in the places I awant to di9ve as cruise prices are a rip off

I rarely take a knife but do take shears (I was wondering if they would confiscate them too). I always get a balcony so that sounds like a good option if I decide to take my stuff.

Thanks...

Jim

Carnival didnt take my shears or trilobyte. I didn't take a knife but others did and had to check them in. It wasn't a big deal for them.

I've been on several cruises will all my own dive gear, sans tanks and weights... I do take a blunt tipped dive knife, but it's about 3.5 inches in length and only had issues after scanning when coming back on to the ship after being in a port where we went diving... Once I showed it to security, no problem.

I take all my gear except tanks and weights. I leave my knife at home. Like others have noted, they usually make me check my knife with security. Whenever I get off the boat for a dive they give me back my knife. Once they stored the knife at the stern because that is where we board. At one port we disembarked at the bow. Had to wait for someone to go get my knife. Almost missed the dive boat as it was picking us up at the pier and security wouldn't let them wait for me.

Mind you, the only time I go on a cruise I tend to go for maximum port time, minimum at sea days and get around 20+ dives in. :)

Usually I only dive once on a cruise and just use their gear. This time I may be doing a couple of dives so I was wondering how many folks take their gear (other than snorkel, mask and fins which I always take)?

It's a pain to haul all that stuff but I sure do like the familiar feeling of my own gear. I'm just not sure it's worth the hassle.

Just wonder what others do...

Jim

I take everything but tanks and weights.

Leave the knife home but bring other cutting stuff. Chances are extremely slim that you'll need it, but I won't dive without them and the knives are a problem because ship security will confiscate them when you board, give them back for your dive, so you can have the dive op tell you knives aren't allowed. You'll end up with a useless, but well traveled knife.

I bring shears and a z-knife, which they don't tend to classify as a knife, for some reason.

I did it once. Brought my own regs/mask/computer because that is what I always do while traveling. Like to know what is providing me air. (Had a snorkle also for snorkeling).

Got to St. Thomas. Several boats were in. The charter operation ran out of regs. Only half of our cruise group were able to do the dive that we had paid for. I was one since I had my own regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom