Going on my first cruise, need some suggestions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Egkid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Heading out with Royal Caribbean on the Majesty of the Seas. We'll spend a day on Cococay Island and another on Nassau. This is going to be my first cruise so I'm not sure how to go about setting up everything, as far as diving goes. I'm planning on diving both days with the shore excursions that the ship offers, but I'm not sure if I should book them now or do it while I'm there. I know the wind starts to pick up in October over here in Florida and I'm assuming it's the same in the Bahamas, what are the odds of not being able to dive due to weather? Other than not having to bring a bunch of cash with me is there any other benefit to booking shore excursions online versus in person?

The main thing I'm worried about is booking now (which I'd prefer to do cause the less cash I'm carrying on me the better) and having to worry about bad weather or poor visibility. This is coming up on the 24th of this month, so in 2 weeks.

And kind of unrelated but how do the beverage packages work? Do they cover the cost of all your drinks while on the cruise as long as they're within your package? Or does it get you drinks at a discounted price? Are the drinks unlimited?

I don't normally recommend diving excursions with Royal Caribbean, but last time I heard Cococay is owned by RCI, so they are the only game in town. Keep in mind cruise excursions often times sell out, so if you definitely want to dive, I would schedule that one now. Cococay is a shore dive if I remember correctly.

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/royal-caribbean-beverage-packages

I've never purchased the drink packages. I don't drink enough alcohol or soft drinks to make it cost effective. If you figure up how many drinks a day you would have to drink each and every day of the cruise just to break even you might decide it doesn't make sense for you either. You can drink all the coffee, lemonade, milk, juice or water you want at no additional cost. Maybe tea too..

A lot of people smuggle liquor onto the ships and mix their own drinks in their rooms............ I'm just sayin.

You can drink water, tea, maybe some other things without added charge. Sodas are an added charge, unless you get a package with them - the Royal Refreshment Package will do that. And you get a souvenir mug! Yay, Bob! Of course, you can guzzle soda to help counter the cost. Here's a link to their drink packages page.

Have you found CruiseCritic.com yet? A whole lot of info. in their forums. Instead of split fins and solo diving, they argue about dress code violations and whether the move away from Traditional Diving (with set times, tables & service staff each evening) is a terrible thing.

I agree; if that's what you want to do, go ahead and book so they don't sell out.

Richard.

Joe's right, on Coco Cay the RCL excursion is the only option there. CocoCay

In Nassau your cruise operator is Stuart Coves. Stuart Cove's Cruise Ships Shark Cage Diving Bahamas Stuart Cove's Aqua Adventures - Cruise Ships At least contact them about availability and expected conditions. Cove's is also about a 45min. shuttle ride from the cruise port.

An alternative option is Bahama Divers - you'd have to get there yourself. About a 10min. cab ride from the cruise port and they leave at or before 9AM IIRC. Bahama Divers

I've seen it mentioned that some cruise lines run on ships time, not port time so you might verify that also before making arrangements. Nassau (and cruising) has certainly become a lot more popular but when we walked off in Nassau some years ago it took all of 10mins. to get thru customs/immigration. And there's a fleet of cabs waiting - just don't get into the vans because they're shared ride and you might not be the first stop. Also they fill them before departing generally.

Those really are your only two options on Nassau. There's no shore diving and the other two operators are private full-boat charters only.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. Just booked both scuba excursions, I wasn't aware they have a certain number of spots they can fill so I didn't want to take a chance and miss out on any diving. I figure only drinking a few beers and soda the $35 beverage package should work for me, according to the FAQ's you can always upgrade on the ship. From searching on here it seems like Stuart's Cove is highly recommended.

Egkid how did it go? We are booking the same trip first week of December on the same boat. I have inquired with Stuart Coves about the possibility of doing an afternoon shark dive as well. I know I have to book through the cruise ship as they are their contract operator but the option is not listed on RCL web page. Also how was diving in Cococay. We don't normally cruise but this is a quasi business trip with an excuse to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom