Looking for dive buddy 11/30-12/07 Norweigan Sun West Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

groovieguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife doesn't dive so I am looking for anyone that is going on this cruise and wouldn't mind someone tagging along with them.
I am open to any of the ports to go diving. I posted on cruise critic also.
Any recommendations to dive shops at these ports is appreciated, most of the Dive excursions thru the ship are way over priced.
Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel. Been reading a lot of the posts here and a lot of good info on the dive shops in these ports.

Thanks
Joe
P.M. me or e-mail groovieguy@gmail

May not be cheaper than the cruise excursions but on Roatan there's Barefoot Divers or Subway Watersports.
Dive Tours Roatán - Ship Shore Excursions - Barefoot Divers
Isla Roatan cruise ship shore excursions / tours Western Caribbean

Subway is probably the better deal since they pick you up free. Barefoot will arrange a cab but that's $20 since you're gettting off the big ship (1/2 that if you weren't...) Not sure if that's one-way or r/t.

Actually depending on your time in port - it's not impossible to get to the West End in time for a couple of dives. They're $35 typically at most of the operators - if you need gear that's usually $5 more. We dove with Coconut Tree Divers and twice there were cruise divers on the boat. Some of the days we returned to the dock between morning dives so there would be the option for a 9AM, 11AM or 1PM dive. 9AM might be pushing it if you port at 8 - it's probably the better of a 20min. drive without the cruise port congestion and having to clear customs/immigration. A cab there will cost you about $25 though so depending on what the cruise excursion costs it might be about equal to do that instead.

Finding a cab back will be easy, they wait in front of Coconut Tree Divers. Lot's of reasonable lunch options in the West End also - a good choice might be Sundowners Beach bar. Your wife might like the shops in the West End also - or West Bay 2 miles away is where all the cruise beach excursions go. Gumbalimba Park is there if that's one they offer also. There's even a water taxi if you wanted to meet up later.

West End Divers is another option with a similar cruise available program afaik. We also dove with Barefoot and I often recommend them. They dive the south side which is probably better for macro. And it really is valet diving as advertised if desired. Not everyone at Barefoot Cay is a diver so they may have a smaller group also - the morning we dove there the 7 of us were the only people on their boat. Our 2nd dive we rode over to Cocoview and dove the Prince Albert wreck. It's an easy wreck - dive prepped and purposely put down. And tall so the top is pretty shallow - maybe 25'? - about 70' at the keel IIRC.

The cruise operator on Roatan is Anthony's Key. Dive Excursions - Anthony's Key Resort - Roatan - Honduras - you book thru the cruise though.

Thanks Steve
I was in Roatan at the end of June for a week and stayed at BananaRama I finished my Cert with them and dove the rest of the week with them.
It's weird though as they don't accommodate for the cruise ship unless I have 4 divers, then we get our own boat @ $400. I was thinking maybe Belize and Cozumel. I already contacted Aldora in Cozumel. Belize I haven't picked a dive shop yet, still researching.

Back
Top Bottom