Cruise-Friendly Dive Operators in Cozumel and Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
I am scheduled for a 4 day cruise to both Grand Cayman and Cozumel on Royal Caribbean December 24-29.

My buddy and I are both experienced AOW/Nitrox divers with many dives under our belts.

The boat arrives in Grand Cayman at 7 AM, departing at 3:30 PM.

It will dock in Cozumel at 10 AM, departing at 7 PM.

I would appreciate your personal advice on the best cruise-friendly dive operators out of both destinations. I would prefer to avoid a cattle boat packed with newbies and snorkelers, although I know that our timing may be limiting for our choices of boats.

Thank you in advance! :cool2:

Your cruise operator on Grand Cayman is Red Sail. Activities | Cayman Islands | Red Sail Sports Cayman
They're up on Seven Mile Beach although they may have a boat in town for cruise dives - I've read both ways.

"Better" IMO options are one of the local operators that also do cruise dives. I often recommend Wall to Wall. - they're a 6 divers max. operation that works out of the Lobster Pot Dive Center which is walking distance north of the cruise port - with gear. Deep Blue also works out of there and Off The Wall is nearby.
Cruise Ship Visitors to Grand Cayman | Lobster Pot
Grand Cayman Scuba Diving for small groups

There's also Cruise Diver which is the cruise division of Divers Down. IDK much about them. Cruise Diver Grand Cayman Just north of the port also.

Don Fosters is the other lines cruise operator. Since you're on RCCL you could book privately with them and share their boat with all the other cruise ship divers. IDK why you would though. They're a short distance south of the port. Boat and Shore Diving in Cayman Islands | Don Foster's Dive

If for some reason everything is booked you can also shore dive on Grand Cayman. Eden Rock/Devils Grotto is 500' from the cruise port but it's reflected in the wear/tear on the reef. Also it's shallow and not the best of Cayman IMO - for that you need a boat operator to get out on the wall. Dive Cayman with Eden Rock

You could also easily spend the day diving at Sunset House - the AI dive resort south of town. Short cab ride to get there, there's a small wreck and the Amphitrite Mermaid statue dives. My Bar there is a divers bar and has good food. There's also the Cathy Church Photo Gallery/Store on-site. We spent a pleasant afternoon diving there once. Sunset House - Grand Cayman's Hotel for Divers, by Divers - Sunset House It's close enough that you'll see your ship.

I'd pre-book something for over the holidays...sometimes there's 5-6 cruise ships in Georgetown on the same day.

I'd check with Aldora in CZM------they might be able to help you......(Did a one day cruise ship dive with them back in March, we docked earlier but left @ 5 PM---back to boat by 4:30 was their call I think...Made it back with 10 minutes to spare..:))

Last edited:
In Cozumel, Dive With Martin.. Home Page

The are located right at the end of the International Pier next to Senor Frogs, which is where Royal Caribbean docks. You should probably have no problem getting on the afternoon dive boat since you're arriving at 10am.

They have small fast boats and typically limit 7 divers to a boat. I just did diving with them for a week.

I highly recommend Dive With Martin over the Royal Caribbean contract diveshop (Sand Dollar).

Thanks for the fast response. Lobster Pot seems like a good candidate. After reading Dive With Martin's website, it does not look like they cater to cruise ship divers unless you charter a full boat, and we do not have enough divers in our group.

Actually your arrival / departure times are unusual, normally most ships arrive around 8 and leave around 4 which limits the dive period to 9-3. Normally this kinda limits your options to the ops who run a midmorning boat. With a 10-7 ship you can dive with just about any operator on the island. During the high season most operators will have an afternoon 2 tank boat available. Check out the Cozumel forum and there are lots 'who's the best op threads'. There are a lot of boutique and valet ops on the island which should fit your needs. The key is to communicate with then prior to arrival.

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast response. Lobster Pot seems like a good candidate. After reading Dive With Martin's website, it does not look like they cater to cruise ship divers unless you charter a full boat, and we do not have enough divers in our group.

Do what you want, but if you arrive at 10am, it shouldn't matter if you on a cruise ship, car or camel... Just make a reservation for the afternoon dive and you shouldn't have a problem.. The morning dives normally leave before cruise ship passengers arrive, so if you wanted a morning dive, after the dive boat left, then you would have to charter a separate boat like you described.. Since you're arriving at 10 AM, all of the dive OPs will have already left on their morning dives. Either charter your own boat for a 1030 AM dive, or sign up for an afternoon dive boat. Most days there is an afternoon dive going out, so you shouldn't have to worry about having a certain amount of people in your group. No big deal, it happens everyday and what you want to do isn't anything out of the norm. Just make the afternoon reservation and tell them you're arriving on a Royal Caribbean ship at 10AM. Trust me when I say, Dive With Martin is located right at the end of the pier when you get off of the ship. You don't even have to go out to the street. No taxi, no walking, no fuss..

here in cozumel, you can contact info@cozumeldivingandparasailing.com , they have a small dive boat with small groups in playa palancar, that means that the time that you arrive to cozumel isn´t a problem you can arraged with them the time and go to dive.

I'm a crew member on a cruise ship that goes to both of those places- I can put you in touch with a brilliant couple of operators that I always use in those places! Let me know if you want details

---------- Post added November 16th, 2014 at 01:19 PM ----------

To add- one piece of advice. I could not recommend enough to not use the cruise ships recommended operators. They are expensive, and usually you end up stuck doing 15 minute dives with gas guzzling newly qualified open circuit divers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom