Recommend where to dive on my cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linthorn

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am a new diver and am going to the SE caribbean in August. My wife doesn't dive and I can only take a few days to dive while we are there. I would like to know if there are any recommendations on the diving for our ports-of-call. We are stopping at:
St. Thomas (USVI)
St. Maartin
Antigua
St. Lucia
Barbados

If you could only dive two, which would they be? (and if you could sneak in a third? :eyebrow: )

Thanks
Linthorn

Out of those choices I would definitely NOT choose to dive St. Maartin. The diving there was quite disappointing. Instead, go to Orient Beach on the French side to view the scenery (it's clothing optional at one end).

I would probably say St. Lucia would be my first choice even though I haven't dived there. I have read encouraging things about the diving there.

Second choice would be either Barbados or St. Thomas. Actually, if you went to Coki Beach on St. Thomas, you could do a shore dive while wife snorkels or just hangs out. www.cokidive.com is an excellent starting point.

I can't comment on your other stops but the diving in St. Lucia is excellent. I dove with Dive Fair Helen and they were a good dive op, there prices were very reasonable you get two tanks and lunch. They mostly do boat dives to the Anse Chastanet marine park (there is a fee to dive the park it;s around $2)which is spectacular, lots of fish turtles, eels. One thing to keep in mind if you dive the park, no knives and no gloves big fines if they catch you. There is a wreck dive that not bad, some wall dives, lots of reefs, and a great drift dive called Supermans flight. I would definitely dive with Dive Fair Helen again, good boats, great DMs. http://www.divefairhelen.com/

If you are a new diver Coki Beach is a good choice nice easy shore dive to get you climatized to the south and get you aquainted with ocean diving
She can relax on the beach while you are diving

Hey , I second that one about Coki Beach on St. Thomas. Check out www.cokidive.com and hook up with Capt. Pete. You'll have a good time and it won't cost an arm and a leg either!

Ah-Lowwwwwww-Haaaaaa!

I have dove St. Lucia, St. Thomas and Antigua and would rate them in that order.

Thanks all. Sounds like Coki Beach is a must-do. That and St. Lucia. I'll have to see about getting permission from the boss for a third.

Linthorn:
Thanks all. Sounds like Coki Beach is a must-do. That and St. Lucia. I'll have to see about getting permission from the boss for a third.

You shouldn't need permission for a 3rd dive since Coki Beach is a shore dive and therefore shouldn't count. If you do a 1 tank dive there, She will barely have time to miss you before you are back.

Linthorn,

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I am newly certified (well 3 years ago but only 15 dives so far) with a wife who doesn't dive. I am going on a cruise in October to similar ports. You may be on your cruise now but everything I read agrees wtih all the posts on this board: St. Lucia and Coki Beach. That is what I am planning for October. If you get back and read this post let me know what you ended up doing.

st. lucia, barbados...

barbados has pretty good diving and it was very reasonable price wise. about 5 years ago, it was only about $40 for 2 tanks. also, there's great beaches on the east side of the island. bathsheba is very cool... lots of tidal pools and stuff.

st. thomas, it's okay but only because the island is lame and you'll be glad to be underwater and away from all of the people. not great scenery, but worthwile.

definitely, try to organise your trips without going through the ship. you'll be glad you did and spend less money as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom