Alabama Blue Water Adventures...Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Sat. I packed up the car and along with my brother we headed over to Pelham, Alabama to Alabama Blue Water Adventures. The weather was looking like it might rain all day as it had been raining all week long. We took a chance and drive the 2.5 - 3 hours from Atlanta, GA over to Pelham, AL; just south of Birmingham. The weather turned out great. I even got sunburn on a SI.

The drive was pleasant and I had never been over to Pelham and didn't really know what to expect other than what I have read on the board and heard from dive buddies. We were to meet up with fellow SB'er Corigan when we got to the quarry. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw kylepreid with Corigan. He said that he wasn't going to be able to make it out but things changed which was great.

ABWA had a pretty good setup and the quarry was really nice. I will be back soon.

I got 3 dives in.
1st...85'
BT...44min.
This dive was to get familiar with the quarry layout. I cursed around the 2nd wall at about 60' for the 1st half of the dive then went up to the 1st wall at about 15' on the way back to the entry point.
Temp. was 59F at 85' which is where the viz. improved to about 35'. The average was probably in the 20' range for most of the dive.

2nd...47'
BT...60min
This was a slow shallow dive. I decided to NOT wear a hood and gloves and try to stay above the thermocline which was hard to do since the 1st thermocline was at about 20'.

3rd...42'
BT...61min
This was a slow and pretty shallow dive too. After we entered the water we turned right and followed the wall at about 25' and checked out the firetruck which had a toilette located on top of it. Checked out some of the other things down there as well. We swam thru the big concrete pipes in the water and said hello to the resident dolphin. Saw some rather large bass, brim and such. There was reports of a rather large turtle in the water but I missed him.

It's not too far of a drive from Atlanta and I look forward to getting out to ABWA again soon.

Jeremy

Thanks for the report, I've yet to visit Pelham, but would like to give it a whirl one of these days. Maybe the next time we decide to head to Huntsville for Rock Divers we'll make a detour on the way :)

SuPrBuGmAn:
Thanks for the report, I've yet to visit Pelham, but would like to give it a whirl one of these days. Maybe the next time we decide to head to Huntsville for Rock Divers we'll make a detour on the way :)
You would actually pass ABWA going to rock divers. ABWA would be a shorter trip for you than rockdivers. I've seen eanxgirl and her instructor up there quite a bit. Seems the place where many south alabama tech instructors go.

I had a fun time diving this Sat, but wished I was down in the SW. I luckily got the day off after exstensive plea bargaining, but couldn't swindle the weekend so I could come to destin.

Unfortunately my chronic stomach issues have come back this week so I had to can my cavern course this weekend.. :( I'll just have to take that in the future sometime. Looking to hopefully get down to the destin area around the 24th with kyle.

Matt

I've passed it several times :)

Rock Divers is alotta fun too ya know? Who can pass up a road trip anyway :D

av8er23:
I am strongly considering it in the next month or so. it is about 2 hours away though.
When you go out there post a thread up here in deep dixie divers and if available I will come over and dive with ya'll.

Matt

Corigan:
When you go out there post a thread up here in deep dixie divers and if available I will come over and dive with ya'll.

Matt

I'd be in too, it only looks to be about 2 - 2 1/2 hours from Chattanooga

octotat:
I'd be in too, it only looks to be about 2 - 2 1/2 hours from Chattanooga
Rock divers in Madison, AL would probably be closer to chattanooga, and possibly diveland park in glencoe, AL. Still though ABWA is a great park and worth the drive.

av8er23:
How far of a drive is it for you?
Takes me right around 3 hrs to get there. Easy for me to drive out in the morning, get there at opening, do 3-4 dives and then come home in the same day.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom