Diveland in Glencoe, Alabama -conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetHoss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well I am at Diveland, located in Glencoe, Al. between Anniston and Gadsden of hwy 431. You can google map it, but the map location is a little off.

Visibility below 30 ft. was great!!! 50 ft. maybe more, temp at 130 was 57, surface was 75. 3mil suit does good to about 40. Lots of junk in the pond, some good size fish, Catfish, Bluegills and Bass. They have a albino Catfish that looks weird at best. Dang, need to get a camera!!

Whatever you do, dont tick off the guy that runs the place. We were supposed to do a night dive last night, and a few folks stayed in the water late after he asked us to get out by 5:30p and he was going to catch dinner, and come back at 8, and lock us in..No diving during his absense. Well, some of the boneheads stayed in til 6:30, sohe nixed the night dive. Oh well, his park. Otherwise a great location and good clear clean water, and decent facilities, and he does fills as well. Only open Fri, Sat and Sun.

I will be back, two hours from Atlanta, and not many divers..

Hoss

Thanks for the report Hoss. I have been wanting to get out there and check out the place for awhile now. Maybe one of these days I will get out there. Sounds like a nice close quarry.

Matt

Thanks for the report.

One of these days I'll have to head north to hit the quarries I haven't already hit in AL

cewarbin:
Whatever you do, dont tick off the guy that runs the place. We were supposed to do a night dive last night, and a few folks stayed in the water late after he asked us to get out by 5:30p and he was going to catch dinner, and come back at 8, and lock us in..No diving during his absense. Well, some of the boneheads stayed in til 6:30, sohe nixed the night dive. Oh well, his park. Otherwise a great location and good clear clean water, and decent facilities, and he does fills as well. Only open Fri, Sat and Sun.
Hoss
I was there that day 7/02 and yesterday 7/09. John is pretty emphatic about getting out of the water on time, but he is very clear about it upfront. I got out of the water actually by a little after 5 as I was done for the day, and wondered if your group was going to have a problem. Sorry that it didn't work out for you folks.

Unhappily the vis is considerably reduced at present due to the rains from Cindy, and Dennis is not going to help. But I would imagine that it will clear back out pretty soon. The day you were there, the 20 foot platform could be seen from the entry area near the dive shop and I have NEVER seen it that clear!

BTW, the BBQ place about a half mile to the South on 431 (on the East side of the highway_ is great! The folks are friendly, and the sandwiches are quite large. I highly recommend for post dive nourishment.

Take care,
BD

:crafty: Hi Hoss -
Are you ready to go Drift dive & bug HUNTING with Tim & I-Sign up for scuba Bill's trip in Aug.- Let me know ASAP- let go diving-
CLIF

:crafty:
cewarbin:
Well I am at Diveland, located in Glencoe, Al. between Anniston and Gadsden of hwy 431. You can google map it, but the map location is a little off.

Visibility below 30 ft. was great!!! 50 ft. maybe more, temp at 130 was 57, surface was 75. 3mil suit does good to about 40. Lots of junk in the pond, some good size fish, Catfish, Bluegills and Bass. They have a albino Catfish that looks weird at best. Dang, need to get a camera!!

I will be back, two hours from Atlanta, and not many divers..

Hoss

bigDave:
BTW, the BBQ place about a half mile to the South on 431 (on the East side of the highway_ is great! The folks are friendly, and the sandwiches are quite large. I highly recommend for post dive nourishment.

Take care,
BD

Indeed. I was there a couple of weekends ago after being driven out of P City by Dennis. Stumbled on the BBQ place by accident and was very glad I did. First time I've ever liked fried green tomatoes. And the BBQ itself was very good indeed.

Was out there last year. Somewhere I have some great pictures of that albino catfish. I also found out quite by accident that the catfish like animal crackers...

steelemagnolia6:
Somewhere I have some great pictures of that albino catfish.
LOL do you have pics of the mountain goats he has there also? to me they were nice to watch but thats been years ago so i dont know if they are still there.

Steve

I was there yesterday and it was my first quarry dive... as it's only a short distance form Atlanta (2-2.5 hours), it was an easy round trip.

I thought the place was ok - once I found it. Spent at least 30 extra minutes just looking for the entrance... hardly any of the secondary streets were marked - including Webster's Chapel. Be sure to have good/accurate directions.

Vis yesterday was about 20-25 feet... with only a 3 mil, I stayed above 40 feet. Still a few things to see - two boats, platform, semi, catfish (saw the albino), etc.

All in all, a good, relaxing dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom