Lake Ouachita, Arkansas Dive Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you tell me more about Lake Oachita/Norfork? The map that I've seen of the area of the lake made me think that the name was Ouachita. Is this, in fact, the names for the same lake?

dflipp:
Does anyone have a list of GPS coordinates for popular dive sites in Lake Ouachita?

If anyone is interested, I have a list for Norfork Lake in north central, AR. at:

http://www.flippo.us/pub/NorforkDiveSites.xls

Thanks,
Dan

I never meant to imply that they were the same lake. I'm actually looking for information on Lake Ouachita dive sites and sharing some information I have about Lake Norfork.

-Dan

Brown Mermaid:
Can you tell me more about Lake Oachita/Norfork? The map that I've seen of the area of the lake made me think that the name was Ouachita. Is this, in fact, the names for the same lake?
No, Ouachita is in the southwest part of the state; Norfork is up in the far north central part, about 1.5 hour from where I live. If you still want info on Norfork I'll be happy to provide...

I would like as much info as you have on Norfork i.e, how would a visitor go about booking some dives, are they guided or do you have to rent a boat and go for it yourself, reputable dive operations, lodging. Just want to know from your perspective I have brochures on order. You can PM me if you like. My goal is to find a nice place for a small group of us to go in the states that won't break the bank. How far is it fromt he airport?

teknitroxdiver:
No, Ouachita is in the southwest part of the state; Norfork is up in the far north central part, about 1.5 hour from where I live. If you still want info on Norfork I'll be happy to provide...

No harm done and I didn't mean to put you on the spot, I'm just trying to get the geography right and I just didn't understand where things were.

dflipp:
I never meant to imply that they were the same lake. I'm actually looking for information on Lake Ouachita dive sites and sharing some information I have about Lake Norfork.

-Dan

I have always used Jordan Marina at Norfork, but only for air and boat rentals, I've never dove with their staff. Their dive boat is a 'party barge' type. There are a number of dive sites there, from walls to wrecks. The viz is okay for a lake, the times I went, it was 10-20. If you want to book some dives figure out when you want to come and then call the guys at Jordan and they'll hook you up. I really don't know about lodging, (I stay in my own house.....:D) but I think there are some cabins and you could probably find a motel within reasonable driving distance.

Are you thinking about coming and diving the lake?

Brown Mermaid:
I would like as much info as you have on Norfork i.e, how would a visitor go about booking some dives, are they guided or do you have to rent a boat and go for it yourself, reputable dive operations, lodging. Just want to know from your perspective I have brochures on order. You can PM me if you like. My goal is to find a nice place for a small group of us to go in the states that won't break the bank. How far is it fromt he airport?

There is a dive shop in Jonesboro, AR that runs a dive boat on Norfork (www.jtdiveshop.com). Jordan Marina (www.jordanmarina.com) also caters to divers and offers equipment and air fills, along with boat rentals right on the lake. I'm not sure, but they might offer guide service as well. There is a municiapl airport in nearby Mountain Home, AR but the nearest major airports are in Little Rock and Fort Smith, AR

Hope this helps,
Dan

Lake Ouachita has lots of dive sites with visibility that ranges from 35' or more under ideal conditions (usually early spring and late fall) to 3 - 5' under adverse conditions. Generally the Eastern half of the lake (nearer the dam) will be clearest. Boat scuba tours are available on weekends from Rick's Dive and Travel Center in Little Rock during weekends in the summer months. http://www.ricksdivecenter.com/take_dive/take_dive_index.html

A full range of supplies (Air / Training / Equipment / Maps) is available at the Lake Ouachita Dive Center (LODC) at the marina at Brady Mountain every day during the summer and on weekends in May and September. For questions you can contact the Scuba and Archery Center in Hot Springs, 501-623-7062.

Other places on the lake that also offer air for tank fills are to be found at Mtn Harbor and Spillway marinas. I am not familiar with them so don't know how extensive their supplies / training availability / etc is.

The campgrounds on Ouachita are great and include a half dozen RV campgrounds and another equal number of free sites with campsites, but no services. Brady Mtn campground has been voted as having the second most scenic campsites in the Reserve America listing which includes over 100,000 US federal campgrounds, national forests, and many state campgrounds throughout the nation.

The following are some of the GPS points that I use on the lake. Others I will post on my website later if there is interest.

Points of interest on Lake Ouachita Starting from
dam. Listed as Degrees and Minutes.xxx'

Dam N34 34.439' W93 11.675' (popular shore access)
Crawdaddy Island N34 36.064' W93 12.148'
Point 02 N34 35.739' W93 14.089'
Brady Ramp (LODive Ctr) N34 35.295' W93 15.423'
Brady Ramp 1 N34 34.922' W93 16.034'
Point 03 N34 34.507' W93 17.183'
Point 04 N34 34.148' W93 18.795'
School Bus (wreck) N34 36.170' W93 18.410' (*)
VW Rabbit (wreck) N34 36.473' W93 18.162' (*)
Bird Island N34 35.698' W93 19.214'
Point 05 N34 34.909' W93 19.743'
Buckville Cmpgnd N34 36.597' W93 20.635'
CS Entry to Chute N34 34.973' W93 20.592'
Crystal Springs Ramp N34 32.579' W93 20.995'
Point 08 N34 33.720' W93 21.450'
Pollard Creek N34 34.634' W93 22.510'
Avant Cmpgnd N34 38.285' W93 23.044'
Big Fir Cmp N34 36.313' W93 24.483'
Mountain Harbor Marina N34 34.535' W93 26.324'
Little Fir Cmp N34 37.987' W93 28.282'
Denby Point Cmpgnd N34 33.179' W93 29.272'
Twin Creeks Cmpgnd N34 33.131' W93 30.753'

Can you tell me if I should be using a float and flag for the shore diving area, or is the area prohibited for boats?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom