Alabama Blue Water Adventures 9-10-5 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After driving up to Tuscaloosa Friday night, I was up by 7:45AM Saturday morning for the one hour drive to ABWA in Pelham, AL. Three hours of sleep is plenty right? Mikey Paul and I made it to the parking lot, just a bit after opening to see ~ half dozen cars already in the parking lot. We signed in, geared up, and hit the water before all but one other pair had made it in. The steps are slippery, I busted *** on the way in - ugh! We swam South and buzzed past the sailboat and bus to check out the wall that drops to ~120'. Visibility was anywhere between 3 and 30' depending on location and there were two very discernable thermoclines. 82ºF on the surface, mid 60sºF around 50' and we showed 55ºF as our coldest temperature at our max depth of 125'. We spent around 5 min at depth before ascending to 60', to open our NDL times on the computers up a bit and headed back towards the docks. We looked at some of the cars and boats that were submerged on the way back in and then did a 2 min safety stop at 30' and a 3 min safety stop at 15'. I saw two fish, both bass, during our 35min dive.

I munched down a bag of chips and drank the rest of my grape juice during our ~ hour SI. The sun felt great outside. It was sunny and air temps were in the mid 80sºF. We geared back up and I busted *** again on the steps, dang it! We made our way back to the sailboat to take a closer look and back to the school bus again for a few swim throughs and a visit by the octopus. We checked out a few hoopty's on the bottom in transit as well as a Dimetrodon hanging onto a line. After playing around the bus, we headed South and worked our way West of the docks to play near the firetrucks and bream beds. Found a volkswagen beetle half buried in silt and checked it out for a bit being a fan of veedubs :D Fine automobiles, even when sunk. We played around the firetruck before being guided by another diver to some concrete culverts and some large coi. We missed a large catfish that he was trying to show us, D'Oh! Lots of bream and bass were out by this time and they weren't very shy. Our depths maxed at 77' by the sailboat and gradually ascended throughout the rest of our nearly hour long dive.

We had a great time and will definately be visiting this site again. There's a new Hooters in Pelham that I've never been to before, some lookers in there to boot!

I'll post pics later, I'm still in Tuscaloosa, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow :)

Sounds like you had a great time Matt. Congratulations on finally getting there.

Hey, Bug Man !!!
See you went to Hooters !!!
But did you get any pics at the quarry ?????
Bigsmile.gif

SuPrBuGmAn:
The steps are slippery, I busted *** on the way in - ugh!

I walked down from the parking lot on the ramp which curves around to the left, and came back to the parking lot after diving via the steps. That'll save you the danger of that long flight of steps. I think they have even have "One Way" signs posted if you look hard enough. There was no way I was trying to walk down those stairs without somebody on a belay line :)

It sounds like your two dives went pretty much on the same route mine did with av8er23 last weekend, though you went a good bit deeper on the first. I don't know if we ever found the bream bed -- have no idea what one looks like -- but there was a sort of rough dropoff over that way that, if you kind of squinted your eyes, you could almost imagine was a coral wall.

I never hit that second thermocline, but after the first I started to consider grabbing one of the drysuits hanging on the clothesline.

I didn't get to make it out this Saturday for all sorts of little reasons, including the continuing sinus infection of my buddy/girlfriend. I do plan to go there next weekend if anybody's interested. As quarrys go, it's *nice*.

-- Robert

Sounds good to me Robert. Lets plan on being out there next weekend. I need to come out there and get some good practice in, as well as meet-up with a friend to get some din plugs (we went in on a group buy).

Sorry to hear about you falling a few times on those steps Mat. They are pretty brutal and I am always concious of them. I am always worried about taking a spill on them as well.

Matt

Tom Smedley:
Sounds like you had a great time Matt. Congratulations on finally getting there.

Yeah, after having my buddies cancel on me several times I finally got up here as planned. :D

The Kraken:
Hey, Bug Man !!!
See you went to Hooters !!!
But did you get any pics at the quarry ?????

My batteries croaked on the second dive, so unfortunately, the pics I didn't get were at the resteraunt. Arg. I need to remember to put fresh batteries in before these dives.

rsanders:
I don't know if we ever found the bream bed -- have no idea what one looks like -- but there was a sort of rough dropoff over that way that, if you kind of squinted your eyes, you could almost imagine was a coral wall.

I'm assuming the bream bed was the area where all kinds of vegetation was growing on the bottom. Lots of juvy bream and bass were swimming around the areas in schools as well as mature adults.

Corigan:
Sorry to hear about you falling a few times on those steps Mat. They are pretty brutal and I am always concious of them. I am always worried about taking a spill on them as well.

It was a short fall into the water :) I just can't believe I fell on both dives. If you think these steps are intimidating, wait until you see the ones at Devils Den - I conquered them beasts without a problem fortunately. :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
I'm assuming the bream bed was the area where all kinds of vegetation was growing on the bottom. Lots of juvy bream and bass were swimming around the areas in schools as well as mature adults.

You are probably right. After passing the fire truck and boats there is quite a bit of vegetation on the bottom. I just always thought that a bream bed was something that was restricted to a small area.

I could be totally wrong :) I just saw lots of bream swimming around that area of vegetation and figured thats what they called that area :D

Edit: for pics

Corigan:
Lets plan on being out there next weekend. I need to come out there and get some good practice in, as well as meet-up with a friend to get some din plugs (we went in on a group buy).

These would be the non-projectile steel ones? :)

On the 18th I have to help somebody move, but I'm definitely good for Saturday the 17th. Leaving Atlanta at 7, getting there a little before 9 seemed to work out pretty well, not that it ever got that crowded.

-- Robert

rsanders:
These would be the non-projectile steel ones? :)
Indeed they are. They are the nice ones that Chuck Noe produces. I went in on a group buy and to save on shipping I am just picking em up at blue water.
On the 18th I have to help somebody move, but I'm definitely good for Saturday the 17th. Leaving Atlanta at 7, getting there a little before 9 seemed to work out pretty well, not that it ever got that crowded.
Sounds good to me, I would like to get a good days worth of diving in while I'm out there, need all the practice I can get.. :)

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom