Mississippi/Alabama/Florida Gulf Coast + Georgia Atlantic Coast info, please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hdtran

Geography Police
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're doing a road trip this summer (technically, late spring) to Sea Island GA for a family reunion.

The drive will go mostly along I-10 until we hit Florida, where we intend to stay along the coast until the end of the panhandle, after which we'll head up into Georgia.

The only reason I agreed to the road trip was if I got to dive along the way :wink:

Suggestions as to where to stop and dive? I'll post another post specifically for the Florida portion (Pensacola to not-quite-Tallahassee).

Thanks!!!

Lots of operators from Pascagoula(not sure how they faired after Katrina), to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach(AL - who are fine after storms, to Pensacola's several operations, to Destin's Op's, Panama City Op's. You have small shore dives available in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach(AL), Pensacola/Navarre(FL), Destin(FL), and Panama City(FL). You also have several springs off of I-10 in the FL panhandle.

The options are pretty limitless within a short timespan.

I have ordered the DeLoach book via Amazon; should be coming anytime for an upcoming very short April trip to FL & the June road trip.

I'm pulling out the Rand McNally (or whichever brand of road atlas I have) to begin mapping the trip. I'm sort of working backwards (we have to be at Sea Island on date x for the reunion; we can't leave until date y because kids are in school, etc.) and adding constraints (kids will rebel if we don't stop by SeaWorld in San Antonio, TX :D )

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Is a jetty like a pier or levee?

Jetty is basically just a line of rocks piled from shore into the water.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Jetty is basically just a line of rocks piled from shore into the water.

Sort of like an artificial fringing reef. Got it. Sounds good! I'll post further questions as the trip gets closer, but it sounds like I will pack my gear (such as it is :wink: )

hdtran:
Sort of like an artificial fringing reef. Got it. Sounds good! I'll post further questions as the trip gets closer, but it sounds like I will pack my gear (such as it is :wink: )

While a Jetty will act as an artificial reef because it's a submerged object, what
it really is for is to help control beach or shore erosion. These are typically put
on the beach in some locations or at inlets from the ocean.

They are basically long lines of rock piles that protect the sand areas from
swirling or strong currents. They do become reefs as fish use these large
rocks as habbitat as so do crabs, critters, etc.

for an example pic of what they look like, here's a pic of the Destin Jettys
that SeaYoda took.
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/9144/perpage/18/ppuser/26242

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom