Dive of the month Lake Jocassee Salem, SC May 26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
It is that time again. We have had great turnouts the last couple of months since we began doing this. It has been really nice to get to put faces and voices with so many of you that I have gotten to know on the board.

Our next group dive will be May 26 at the divers ramp at Devils Fork State Park. Hope you guys that have been coming out will join us again. Anyone is welcome to join the fun. We always have folks that are brand new divers all the way to the seasoned salts and everything in between.

WATER TEMPS should be somewhere in the 60’s. You should plan to dive a 7mm with hood and gloves and have a thermos of hot drinks waiting for you on the surface.

You have to pass the dive shop just before the entrance of the state park. If you need tank rentals, gas fills, or a full set of gear rental, shoot me a PM and I can give you the shop info.

We will set up our canopies and chairs on the ramp and be diving from the shore.
So who is in???

Lake Jocassee
I-85 exit 40, turn on Hwy 153 to Easley go about 4 miles
Hwy 123 south to Easley
Fork to right onto Hwy 93, just past Hardies on the left. Go all the way thru downtown Easley.
Merge straight onto Hwy 8 to Pickens at the stop light past the next Hardies
Left onto Hwy 183 near McDonald’s.
Go all the way thru Pickens
Right onto Shady Grove Rd where the 4 lanes ends near BP gas station
Shady Grove Rd till it dead-ends at the Church and Store.
Right onto Hwy 133 go about 3 miles
Left onto Hwy 11 go about 3 miles
Right onto Boones Creek Rd at the gas station store looks like log cabin go ½ mile
Right onto Jocassee Lake Rd at Boones Creek Church
You will pass 2 dive shops: Off the Wall Diving and Jocassee Outdoor Center/Hoyts/Scuba Shop
When you come to Devil’s Fork State Park Entrance go LEFT to the remote boat ramps
When you come to the fork in the road for the 2 remote ramps, follow the road to the right
Pay $2.00 per person entry fee—you will need correct change
Take the right fork to the right remote boat ramp.
There are 3 ramps and two of them are blocked off for divers
Back you car down near the water and off load your gear and then park in the upper parking area.

Directions from other locations:

Driving Directions:
From I-85 at the GA line: Take exit 1 to Hwy 11 for approx. 40 miles, turn left on Jocassee Lake Rd, and travel 3 mi.

From I-85 at the NC line: Travel south to Hwy 11 exit at Gaffney and proceed on Hwy 11 for approx. 90 miles, turn right on Jocassee Lk. Rd and travel 3 miles.

From I-26: Take exit 5 onto Hwy 11 to Campobello. Travel for approximately 60 mi. Turn rt. on Lake Jocassee Rd., and travel 3 mi.
Devil’s Fork State Park Web site: http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/pa...park/1355.aspx
MILES TO:
· Charleston, SC: 235
· Columbia, SC: 135
· Florence, SC: 218
· Greenville, SC: 36
· Charlotte, NC: 128
· Raleigh, NC: 270
· Atlanta, GA: 140
Augusta, GA: 135

Directions from Asheville, NC

Merge onto I-240 W toward I-40. 3.1 miles

Merge onto I-26 E / US-74 E via the exit on the LEFT toward HENDERSONVILLE / SPARTANBURG / ASHEVILLE AIRPORT 23 miles

US-25 TRUCK S becomes US-25 S (Crossing into SOUTH CAROLINA). 3.8 miles

US-25 TRUCK S becomes US-25 S (Crossing into SOUTH CAROLINA). 12.3 miles

Turn LEFT to take the SC-11 ramp toward SC-11 . .1 miles

Turn LEFT onto SC-11 / CHEROKEE FOOTHILLS SCENIC HWY 4.5 miles

Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto GEER HWY / US-276 / SC-11 / CHEROKEE FOOTHILLS SCENIC HWY 5.4 miles

Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto SC-11 W / CHEROKEE FOOTHILLS SCENIC HWY N 22.6 miles

Right onto Boones Creek Rd at the gas station store looks like log cabin go ½ mile
Right onto Jocassee Lake Rd at Boones Creek Church
You will pass 2 dive shops: Off the Wall Diving and Jocassee Outdoor Center/Hoyts/Scuba Shop
When you come to Devil’s Fork State Park Entrance go LEFT to the remote boat ramps
Pay $2.00 per person entry fee—you will need correct change
Take the right fork to the right remote boat ramps.
When you come to the fork in the road for the two remote ramps, follow the road to the right.
There are 3 ramps and two of them are blocked off for divers
Back you car down near the water and off load your gear and then park in the upper parking area.

http://www.offthewalldiving.com/2.html

http://www.scubashopsc.com/
http://www.jocasseeoutdoorcenter.com/

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/state-park/1355.aspx

sandmanz32:
Ill be there....im there every weekend lol. i didnt run into you guys lst time so maybe we'll meet up then

Do we need to set up some of the Jocassee Crew Skeletons with our stuff to help you find us??? LOL When we checked on the family a couple of weeks ago, there were two fresh graves that someone had put near them. It was too cold to stay around and check out what else was in the area. The water was 56 near them. I paid my respects and said hello to everyone and headed for warmer water. Some folks have been talking about putting a driver in that boat near them and a skier behind the boat. That would be kind of cool.

Anyway, we will be looking for you. Hope you can dive with us or stop by and say hi on the SI

lol yea do something......last time i think some of you were under the tent but me and my buddy were in such a hurry to get in the water......well you know how that goes lol. what time will everyone be meeting up? last time we were there we found some bones family body parts at around 100ft. i tried to bring them back up but the fell outta my bc on the way back up........hadnt been able to find them since! it was a hand and a femur

I need to give Jocasseegirl a call tonight to see what time we are going to dive Jocassee. The following day we have been granted permission to dive some small private ponds and we have to leave my house at 4am and be in the water by 5am to avoid the fishermen. We have 3 ponds that we will be diving that day. Some of the catfish are 60-70 pounds. I have personally caught carp that are in the mid 20 pound range. There are a lot of fish in a very small area.

So anyway, all that to say it will probably be around noon or so when we start diving Jocassee so that we can sleep in a bit on Saturday morning but still have time to get in bed early so we can be up at the crack of dawn on Sunday.

I will confirm what time we will be at Jocassee shortly.

It is about 30 minutes from Jocassee. It will be the first time anyone has been diving in the lake. Water is 6-12 deep. There are 3 ponds. One with catfish, one with carp, and one trout pond. Each pond is 2-3 acres. It is on private property. I will post a report on what we see when we dive it. I think it has a hard bottom and a lot of fish in each one

The Lake Lanier Looney Birds are planning on being up there the 27th with a possible dive on the 26th for the early birds (no pun intended....ok...I lied...it was intended)

Mike

The Looney Birds are going out with Bill on Sunday to dive the wall. There are still slots left on the boat. Just contact Bill directly and grab your slot!
:monkeydan

I plan on comming up on the 26th and diving at the divers ramp. Hope to see everyone there.

Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom