"Pelham Keys" do-over "skip-work-and-dive" afternoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RV

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not diving enough. I was thinking of along the lines of a "skip work and dive" day. I'd like to hit blue water at least one afternoon a week around 3 or 4 for a dive... I've got a new 7mil that I need to test and get weight adjusted so I'll be going out there this week.. weather permitting.. any takers? Snepdiver and I had a discussion going on but it was lost due to the SB outage.. plus he had better offers....

Well, I don't know how you feel about going with some fairly new divers, but my hubby and I might be interested. It's not TOO far from us, we usually drive all the way to the Destin area to dive. What kind of diving are you planning to do? My hubby works Sat-Tues (nights), so we're available Wed-Fri.

I'd love a little more info, so PM me, if you are interested. :) We're not familiar with that particular area, though, so if you don't want noobs around, I understand. :wink:

Don't let the name fool ya.. it's cold in this quarry http://www.divealabama.com/ ... Given the option to dive the gulf or dive here, I'd pick the gulf every time..

That said, if you're willing to drive 6-7 hours to dive in cold water, I'll be happy to have ya...

I happen to like AL Blue Water, but it doesn't look like I can get free on any weekdays. My last two summer Fridays off are scheduled for rock climbing/Harry Potter 7 and a checkout trip with some classes from my LDS.

That said, it's a bit chilly at depth (or at least, that's what I remember pre-drysuit :wink:), but the summer thermocline makes for a nice safety stop reheating. (Last time I was there, I and a friend of mine did the whole 3/4-mile perimeter at 20' or so. Took us 72 minutes, and my buddy was jelly-legged, but it was quite a bit warmer than the 80' bottom on the "shallow" end with all the toys. If I ever do that dive again, I'm doing it in splits. :D

I like it too ,, but prefer warm water diving

RV:
I like it too ,, but prefer warm water diving
After diving in some 45°F water up north of there (Kentucky, Ohio, etc), I consider ALBW to *be* warm water. :D

ClayJar:
After diving in some 45°F water up north of there (Kentucky, Ohio, etc), I consider ALBW to *be* warm water. :D
they got 45°F @ ABWA don't they?:D

bcrab63:
I am a fairly new diver, but would be interested in meeting you out there one afternoon around 4pm.
cool.. I guess I'll plan for 3:30 Friday .. as long as the weather's not too bad..

RV:
they got 45°F @ ABWA don't they?:D
I've yet to see any. Admittedly, I've only been to about 110', but that was below several thermoclines. It wasn't 45°F when we dove this winter, either.

(Of course, that's not to say I haven't been thoroughly chilled diving ALBWA in a wetsuit. Just that it hasn't stung as much as some dives. :D)

bookboarder:
I'd love a little more info, so PM me, if you are interested. :) We're not familiar with that particular area, though, so if you don't want noobs around, I understand. :wink:

Its a quarry, read as underwater junkyard. Its a fun little change from diving springs and the Gulf over and over. It also makes you appreciate the better visibility in those areas - as well as the warmer temps.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

I believe the water at the lowest thermocline is pretty constant at 54-56F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom