Gulfport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MellowD

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, everybody. I'm just looking for some information on the local diving in Gulfport. I'm gonna be down there for a couple days next week (10/17-19), and I'm hoping to squeeze in at least a couple dives. We're looking to do some boat dives in the 60-100' range. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm... you know, I've never heard of anyone diving in Gulfport... Anyone have some insight?

There are very few charters running out of Biloxi/Gulfport at the moment. Your best bet might be to run over to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, AL.

Hmm... you know, I've never heard of anyone diving in Gulfport... Anyone have some insight?

Michael's Pub on 49 just south of I-10 is a high class dive. The Teddy Bear Club on Cowan just north of the railroad is a low class dive.

Lil Rays on Courthouse about two blocks north of the railroad has the best Po Boys anywhere and they have Abita on draft in frosted mugs. You can dive in there just fine.

For scuba diving - on the other hand - Gulf Shores/Orange Beach (2 hours if you take the Foley Beach Cutoff) is your closest reliable. Lookup Capt Gary at Gary's Gulf Divers, Full Service Dive Shops, Orange Beach, Alabama

I agree with Tom on the Scuba diving; will not vouch for the other places since my knowledge of the area was pre, during and some post Katrina. Silt from the mighty Miss keeps the Gulfport area pretty messed up. Before Katrina, you could take a boat to Ship island. I don't even know if there is an island still. It was reported to have decent snorkling. Either find an op to drive you to an oil rig or drive to Gulf Shores.

I go there about once a month and every time Ive been the water on the shoreline
is brown and the vis looks bad...

You would want to dive out of Pascagoula and you would need to go out about 30 miles to hit 100'. Visibility would be in the 30' range, possibly more depending on the weather etc.. Although at 30 miles out you still have the muddy bottom issue, which means the bottom 20' is brown and 1-2' visibility.

That would change with conditions, winds, currents, ect. I've read reports of 60-70' top-to-bottom visibility out there.

Its just not as common as other area's due to runoff from Mobile Bay or Mississippi River. Its also a bigger PITA to find a charter.

Acutally did a dive in the Tchoutacabouffa River once. Looking for a guy's car keys and found a 1997 Ford LTD with a body in the trunk - Would rather dive in Orange Beach. Trust me!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom