Gulf Shores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CRESSIDVR9

Reaction score
Goin to Gulf Shores in July. Just wonderin what conditions to expect and if I need anything besides OW. whats the best dive spots? Any advice would be helpful.

thanks

I s'pose you ment the Gulf of Mexico. Not sure how diving is in your area but you didn't say exactly where you were diving?

Here in Houston, TX there's not much Gulf "Shore" diving aval. You have to get out 20 or so miles to get some Blue water. If your going out to the Texas Flower Gardens I would sug an AOW class. The garden is a deep dive and the sea can be rough with currents.

Gulf Shores is in Alabama. Its a resort town right on the coast.

It may be a good idea to take an AOW course. Its not required, but the first dive is typically in the 80' range.

Have fun.

TwoBit

in Gulf Shores for me, please.

When I was a kid some relatives owned a couple of cabins there, I think they were on a lagoon. Does that sound right? I learned to water ski there, and just really had a couple of great vacations. I'd be interested to hear about the diving now that I saw "Gulf Shores" and all the memories are flooding back.

Julie

Gulf Shores is on the south east tip of Alabama and Florida. I was born and raised down there but never took up divin when i was there.Now i dive and all i have is quarries lol. I dont have a problem with depth just didnt know about the current .

Some Gulf Shores sites...
- The Whiskey wreck. Shore dive. Sometimes great, sometimes not much, depending on how much of the wreck is above the sand. I've been on it when the ribs and beams were well above the sand and it was a superb dive. I've also been on it when there were just a few chunks of wood poking up out of the sand, and it was not so good. Still it's a must do dive just to see. And it's free.
- Perdido Bay Bridge rubble. Two major sites, "Little Rome" (92') and "Atlantis" (75') and several smaller sites. Huge pieces of roadbed and the old concrete pilings sticking up like the pillars of some ancient ruin. Lots of fish, good sites
- Oil/gas rigs/platforms - from the surface on down - popular with spearfishermen - usually teeming with fish
- Liberty ships. These hulls are over 400' long and usually have some good fish to see. I think depths average about 80'
- Main battle tanks. There are about 300 of these scattered about, from about 80' on down to "too deep"
- Assorted smaller wrecks... tugs, fishing boats, airplanes, cars, busses, the old Lillian Bridge rubble, from 40' and deeper
- The Perdido Bay pass jetties - shore dive - rock jetties - dive at high tide only.
- The FloraBama - typical LA dive. Beer, mixed drinks, local bands, serious meat market.
Have fun...
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom