Diving in South Carolina/North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobb

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on diving in SC or NC? preferably SC. I dive lake Jocassee, Keowee (just started diving there) haven't tried lake Hartwell, i've heard that the vis is terrible. Any other lakes, ponds, springs, holes, mudpuddles, etc...
And how about in NC...
thanks everyone
I've just recently been certified ow but I've been diving about 2 years with a SSUBA/hookah...
Bobb

There is a trip forming for early October for diving the wrecks off of the coast of North Carolina. Visit http://www.ncwreckdiving.com for info. However, this is considered somewhat advanced diving due to currents, depth, and other potential hazards.

Well there is always the Cooper River. I here there are Megladon teeth galore for those brave enough to go down and grab a few. I'll be in South Carolina over the Labor Day weekend and I'm considered giving it a whirl. Not so sure I'll get a chance too or not though.

Well finally another SC person. I was thinking I was the only SC person with a computer that dove. I live in the Charleston area. And dive the Cooper regularly. Matter of fact that where I do 99% of my diving. Lacka boat. The Cooper is probably not for everyone. But it give me chance to get under the water and explore. Visibility ranges from in the Tail Race area 3'-10' Most of the time it's about 5', Depth around 23'. Then you move on down stream towards the harbor your vis decreases and most of the time you only see your light beam. You need big lights in the middle of the day. Depth is around 40-80'.
Charleston Scuba runs charters offshore and have a good rep. I have not been out with them yet. Might look into that this weekend.
Warhammer let me know when you coming down might see if we can grab dinner one night or do a dive.

Bobb,

There are 3 quarries turned public dive parks in NC (that I am aware of)and one in lower VA. I will be happy to fill you in on lacations and conditions if you like, either here or via email. There is always off shore as well, lots of wrecks and ledges but most are deep and way off shore.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question... I really appreciate the input...

Hi,
I dive Lakes Jocassee, Keowee and Hartwell. Jocassee is the first choice for me but there are things in Keowee to do as well as Hartwell. Keowee has the Pumphouse at 80 feet which is a water purification plant that used to treat the drinking water for the town of Seneca, SC. It is a penetrable dive using reels and cavern diving tenchniques. It is a three story building of concrete and brick and water settling vats. The vis can be 10 feet or if you disturb the silt and the overhead it can be almost zero. There is also the Hot Hole which is the warm water discharge of the Duke Power Oconee Nuclear Station Plant. And no we don't glow after a dip; we have taken a counter in and it is just fine. This dive consists of a double eddie current body of water with two opposite currents beside each other. One current is clockwise and the other counter clockwise. This is a fun dive with the current taking you off in its circle at depths of 20 to 45 feet and one deeper place at 60 feet. The water is very warm at this time of the year between the upper 80's and lower 90's. The fish abound here and when there are fishing tournaments it is a disallowed area to fish, (wonder why). We use this area for training for drift dives and night dives to simulate the Cooper River conditions.
Lake Hartwell is just fine to dive if you use the area near the dam from Singing Pines, Overlook and the SC Dam section on the SC side. On the GA side there is good diving from Big Oaks to the GA side of the dam. I like to dive along the rip rap of rocks and see the fish in the day or for a night dive. Some of these dives can be to 70 or better and the vis can be at 10-15 in these areas only. The rest of the lake is very muddy to dive in. The fish that interplay here are the shad, brim, all kinds of bass, carp, crappie, and the large aligator gar fish.
I am an avid Cooper River diver and also work with Off The Wall Diving Charters. The Cooper River is not just for everyone to dive. Yes there are alligators and snakes on the river and large fish in the water. Mostly these critters want to move away from you quickly. It is a brackish water dive and there are log jams and fresh water grasses that cover your mask at times to shake your nerves up, yet is is nice to see the bottom of the river's contours and the life cycle there while hunting for fossils. Some of the latest finds have been rather good: a giant beaver's tooth (extinct), ivory from the wooly mammoth or the mastodom, tapir jaw with 2 of the four teeth, many 4" or better megalodon shark teeth, whale tooth, whale ear bones, a 4 1/2" width by 16" length whale rib bone,turtle shell sections, medicine bottle, wine bottle, and Indian arrow points and pottery sections. The best time of the year to dive the Cooper is the winter in a drysuit. There is less traffic and more turn over in the river bottom. Check out the website http://www.offthewalldiving.com for the latest finds and conditions on all the above dive sites including the Cooper River.

Might just do that, Swamp Rat. I can't seem to talk the Mrs into diving the Cooper wih me. :) We're actually going to be on the other side of the state, Aiken, but we're considering driving on across to spend the rest of the holiday weekend on the beach. If we do, I'll give you a holler.

I headed to the river last night but they had all the gates open at the dam. I forgot to turn the AC off when I left the house, I suppose they need to generate extra power because of it.
Warhammer it would be nice to put a face on you instead of that picture of the manuver. :D

Warhammer, you will be in my backyard, almost. I live in Augusta, GA. We dive Thurmond Lake " better known as Clark's Hill, and the Savannah River. I won't be here Labor Day though as my dive shop is doing a trip to West Palm FL that weekend. If you and your wife get to Aiken again let me know. Maybe you all could get with us for a dive.

Bottoms Up....Bubbles Up!!!
Cindy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom