Fort Pickens Report and Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
(I saw Barry and I posted a report at the same time....sorry we have two reports)

Just a short report about our dive at the Fort Pickens jetty today. MRXRAY, me, and two other divers were going to meet up with PaulWall around 8 AM. I didn't make it there till 8:30 AM. Entrance fee for Fort Pickens is $8.00 or a yearly pass for $25.

Barry and the gang were there when I arrived. They were waiting for Paul to show up. I got geared up and around 9 AM we decided to head to the water. When we arrived we found Paul exiting the water. I did not take my camera on the first dive. I ran a reel for part of the dive. Visibility was ten feet at best. We explored around the rocks and looked for the various structures we know are out there. After about 30 minutes, I signaled Barry and I broke away from the group to go do some exploring solo. I took my time shining my light under rocks. There were numerous lures and fishing line snagged on the rocks. I found a large octopus inside a large truck tire. I saw the usual Gulf fish, damsels, wrasse, many rock and blue crabs. Earlier Barry found two crabs doing the "nasty." You do NOT want to know what Barry's signal is for crabs mating.:D

Anyways, I ended the dive and surfaced to find Barry and the others had also just surfaced. After our SI we headed back for our second dive. The current was really ripping for this dive. Visibility had also dropped. I would estimate viz was around 5 feet. We had to hold on at the end of the dive while doing our safety stop.

I am posting a few dive pictures. I could not adjust my camera during the dive. I had to leave me camera set on one setting till I get some parts back from Ikelite. So, with no camera adjustments and five foot viz my pictures really sucked. Hopefully Barry was able to get some better pictures on the first dive when visibility was better. Two great dives with some good dive buddies.

I am also posting some pictures of the drive out to the dive site. Some of you might enjoy seeing how the road and the fort looks since the hurricane.

Pre-Dive Discussions
predivechat.jpg

MRXRAY Preparing to Dive
barryflag.jpg

fishcloseup.jpg

Bad Visibility
barrycamera.jpg

puffer.jpg

spadefish.jpg

The Hurricane Left Its Mark
damagedtrees.jpg

Fort Entrance
signandsand.jpg

wateronroad.jpg

sandyroad-1.jpg

Not Diving Pictures But I Love the Fort
ftpickenscanon.jpg

fortcanon.jpg

fortentrance.jpg

gulf.jpg

gulf2.jpg

Barry, just wanted to post and say what a great dive at Pickens. Thanks for the use of the photography equipment. Hope you enjoy your follow-up dive on Memorial Day! Dive safe.
-Recharge

Great report and pics Glen!

Thanks for the report, would have been awesome to see a Guitarfish!

Glad Barry posted the name because I didn't know what they were called. Visibility was bad and I saw something large go by me. I turned around and saw what I first thought might be a nurse shark...then I saw it was spotted and flat. I took off swimming toward it to get a better look...but he was moving fast and went out of sight. Wish I could have gotten a picture of it.

Thanks so much for the pics! I can't wait to be there is a few weeks!

(I saw Barry and I posted a report at the same time....sorry we have two reports)

wateronroad.jpg

sandyroad-1.jpg

[/B]

Great dive report, glad someone is able to enjoy the warm water this summer. Lol

I was wondering if flooding of this new road is common down there? Wow, I just can't imagine spending tax money to rebuild a road in the bottom of what looks like a sand bowl? You can only imagine what a short life that roadbed will hold up to. I bet though for now it's re-opened a ton of diving for a bunch of folks.

Great report.

Ken

Its built lower than the sand, I believe, so that when the real storms come around, the sand will cover the road so its not chewed up by surf and surge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom