(yet another) Ft. Pickens Dive Report - 5/25/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My brother John is in town, and wanted to go diving, so we met MrXRay at the newly opened Ft. Pickens. We got there just before 8:00, and made haste getting geared up while making introductions. I briefed John on the site while we were driving, so we got splashed-in pretty quickly. Viz ranged from 10-20 depending on depth and location. We did hit a pretty bad pocket of grass, that blacked us out and reduced viz to 8" or so. I needed a flashlight for my comp, and had to use the compass to navigate out of it. We saw the usual suspects plus a few treats. We got in two dives lasting about an hour each, and hit just shy of 50ft. Water was warm and walks were short :D

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2276.jpg

Current was significant, but didn't bother us (we're all strong swimmers though). Chief complaint was the instant drop in viz to almost zero. However, the areas in the 3-35ft zones were pretty clear, even though there was sand and grass everywhere. For some reason 99% of my photos were overexposed. Haven't figured that one out yet, but current suspect is operator error.

Also, Barry saw the guitarfish, and got a shot or two of it.

Alex, Hit the high points. I'll add that I showed the min temp at 77* today and except for the real drop in viz I had no complaints. Glen, The current was about the same as the day prior on the first dive but for both of the dives. According to my current charts it should have been about .5-1.0 knts. I was really excited to get a good glimpse of the guitar fish (Actually in the Shark/Ray family) I didn't realize it was so long until I had snapped a few pictures of its head and then saw it take off away from me (Flash shy I guess) I never did get a good whole body picture....Darn it! We didn't see a single octopus on the two dives today which was a bit disappointing but I was real happy to see the frog fish in about the same spot as yesterday! I also got a picture of a Mantis shrimp which I had no idea what it was until Alex debriefed me on the surface, it was really big at about 2 inches around so I'd bet this bad boy could inflict some serious damage. Warning....Do not stick your finger in it's hole!!!!
We also saw quite a few other interesting things including some big schools of spades some big grouper, snapper, and of course lots of reef fish, and to my suprise the French Angelfish that I didn't get a good photo of yesterday showed back up and gave me ample opportunity for some nice pics!....Show off!
I really enjoyed the dive and the company and of course the Debrief at McGuire's was a plus!!

Here are some of my Pics from today:

Guitar Fish:
P5253774.jpg

P5253775.jpg

P5253764.jpg

P5253772.jpg

P5253779.jpg

P5253785.jpg

P5253786.jpg

P5253794.jpg

P5253795.jpg

P5253812.jpg

P5253801.jpg

P5253827.jpg

P5253834.jpg

P5253881.jpg

P5253886.jpg

P5253894.jpg

Current was significant, but didn't bother us (we're all strong swimmers though). Chief complaint was the instant drop in viz to almost zero. However, the areas in the 3-35ft zones were pretty clear, even though there was sand and grass everywhere.

That is how it was yesterday...I don't mind the current until I am holding a camera with double strobes trying to take a picture.:D

For some reason 99% of my photos were overexposed. Haven't figured that one out yet, but current suspect is operator error.

Yeah, I have a love-hate relationship with my camera.

Also, Barry saw the guitarfish, and got a shot or two of it.

That is great...I hate that I couldn't get a picture when I saw it yesterday. Can't wait to see it.

Couple more:

P5253922.jpg

P5253867.jpg

P5253869.jpg

I could use some help on this last one. I just got a quick shot off on it, but I'm not sure on the ID. Any thoughts? Dave C. ?

P5253851.jpg

Back
Top Bottom