Panama City Jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kylakediver

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to be in Panama City on July 22. I hope to get to dive the jetties while im there and maybe even do at least one boat dive. I have read a lot of the posts on the jetties and found out high tide is the best time to go. Where can i find a tide chart? Also Once you cross the jetties from the kiddy pool to the othe side how deep is it. I know that this is a state park so would it be better to do a mid week dive rahter then a weekend.

Any dive shop in the area or saltwatertides.com. Be sure you look for St. Andrews bay. Best dives are about hour to hour and half before high tide.

kylakediver,

I'd say that mid week would likely be better just for crowds and parking rather than weekends. it can get pretty crowded on the weekends.

note that there is a $5 entrance fee per car to get in the park. but worth it since you have lots of parking, bath houses, etc. The park gates don't open until 8am, so don't plan to dive on a 7am high tide for example.
EDIT: The park homepage says vehicle admission has gone up to $8/car. FYI

There is a "dive shop" on site, but it's very minimal. They might still rent tanks. I advise either calling first or renting tanks or getting air fills elsewhere. closest dive shop is right outside the park where you turn off Thomas Drive towards the park. Panama City Dive Center.

Saltwater tides . com is a good resource that Kevin pointed out.

Jviehe or someone else in NW FL had a website with some good diagrams of St Andrews. I tried to find it, but lots of sites are now blocked at work.

try www.tallyscubaclub.org and see if they have them.

EDIT: Found a couple maps/diagrams

St-Andrews-State-Park-Map.jpg

NOTE: The below one I think might be pretty old. I think the depths are deeper than indicated. (I guess from years of dredging and currents:

St-Andres-Jetty-Map.gif

StAndrewsJetty.jpg

N

Thanks for the help. Im sure it will be a good dive sure beats being at work. I will be diving with my wife and sister. This will be my wifes second salt water dive and my sisters first. thanks for all the help again.

There are tons of tropical fish there. One of my favorite dives. If you go after high tide viz will not be as good but still a good dive. have fun and enjoy.

Yes, the dives are deeper here. I want to say I've been down to 70fsw here. You don't have to go that deep though. Unless you're looking for big snapper, grouper, hogfish, etc. (which you can't shoot anyway), there's more to see at 20-40ft anyway.

Very helpful pics Nemrod and Mike. I plan to swim out from the beach to the ocean end of the jetty, descend, and then head to 'kiddie pool' end. It looks like for most people, you can do that on one tank with a fair amount of leisure (but its hard to judge distance). Is that correct? I plan to take a camera and do a lot of looking-into-crevices type stuff, but would like to do the entire length and don't want to get 1.2-way done and find out I'm down to 400 lbs. Also, can anyone tell me about the slope of the underwater part of the jetty? I mean, do the rocks that make up the jetty stay pretty vertical as they slope to the bottom? The actual picture makes it look like something (either rocks or sand) slopes out a good bit from the above-water portion of the jetty.

I dont do it that way. I enter through the kiddie pool and cross the rocks. That is a long way but with a fair sac rate should be able to make it. There is soo much to see there I dont see a need to go that far myself. I have done it and out of 4 people 1 ran out of gas but there wasnt much current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom