Northern Florida Dive locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deckn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For spring break this year a friend and I are going to drive from Galveston along the coast to northern Florida for some diving. Were planing on doing this between March 12th thru the 21st and camping at state parks along the way. I know in Florida our route will take us through Destin, Pensacola, Panama City and eventually Crystal springs. We have our own gear (except possibly tanks). What are some good dive spots around these areas? Were students so have somewhat of a budget. Thanks

If you are on a budget, The local jetties at each location will be your best bet. You will want to team up with someone who is familiar with the following locations. In Pensacola you can dive Ft. Pickens jetties, Destin jetties, and in Panama city at St Andrews St. Park jetties(my favorite). You will want to dive an hour or two before high tide. I have listed the Destin high tides for the dates you will be in town. The other sites will be within an hour and you can check those tide times at Tide Location Selection for Florida Gulf Coast

F 12 High 8:27 PM
SA 13 High 9:25 PM
Su 14 High 12:51 PM High 11:36 PM
M 15 High 11:59 AM
Tu 16 High 1:14 AM High 11:43 AM
W 17 High 11:48 AM
Th 18 High 12:08 PM
F 19 High 12:42 PM
Sa 20 High 1:30 PM
Su 21 High 2:29 PM

In addition to the jetties for gulf shore dives, you can check out Morrison (if the water level drops down enough to clear up the basin by then) and Vortex. Cypress is a short canoe ride from the boat launch and canoes are cheap to rent. Not much else for OW along the panhandle, though.

there is also pensacola beach and navarre beach piers. they are kinda small sites which wont take long to see it all, but the pensacola beach site is really close to ft pickens jetties. also, alabama pt jetties and the whiskey wreck in gulf shores are pretty good dive, both of which arent far from pcola and on the coast, so youll drive right past them on your drive east from texas. (all are shore dives also)

For spring break this year a friend and I are going to drive from Galveston along the coast to northern Florida for some diving. Were planing on doing this between March 12th thru the 21st and camping at state parks along the way. I know in Florida our route will take us through Destin, Pensacola, Panama City and eventually Crystal springs. We have our own gear (except possibly tanks). What are some good dive spots around these areas? Were students so have somewhat of a budget. Thanks

Most of the sites I would have listed were taken care of by Jhayes75, but if your budget allows I would recommend getting offshore and getting out to the Oriskany. There are many dive ops going there, here are a few:

Charter Boat H2O Below     Pensacola Florida

Gary's Gulf Diver - Home page

Dr Dive Pensacola, FL - Home of the USS Oriskany

Pensacola SCUBA Diving Charter Boat Dive the USS Oriskany Spearfishing Artificial Reef

Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Diving, Oriskany Dive - Down Under Dive Shop

Scuba Shack

Thanks so much for all the info, hopefully it will be a good trip. Im gunning for at least a couple offshore dives. i figure i can save some money through all the camping. Is there alot to see of jetty dives? Something we cant really do in the muddy waters of Galveston

Thanks so much for all the info, hopefully it will be a good trip. Im gunning for at least a couple offshore dives. i figure i can save some money through all the camping. Is there alot to see of jetty dives? Something we cant really do in the muddy waters of Galveston

If the aquatic life returns once the water warms up, you should see but not limited to: Frog fish, Toad fish, Stone crabs, Blue crabs, Puffer fish, Octopus, Blennies, French Angel fish, Blue Angel fish, Damsels, rays, occasionally sharks and we had a couple of sitings of a Stargazer.

There have been many shore dives on the jetties that I have seen more life during those dives than on some of my off shore trips. Once the gulf warms a bit the tropical fish swarm the jetties. I especially like St. Andrews because it seems to have more life per square foot than anywhere I have seen.

Any thoughts on the Pensacola Reef?

It can be great at times, other times it can be crap. Dunno how much relief is out there right now though :(

Back
Top Bottom