Dive Report: Destin East Jetty 3/20/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After several days of carefully watching the marine forecasts, XRay, Recharge and I decided that the winds were just too iffy for a long ride out to clear water in the Gulf of Mexico. We had hit Vortex the week before, and Panama City before that, so we were up in the air over what to do with our Saturday. I was leaning toward Panama City again, but Xray and Recharge reminded me that Spring Break was in full swing, and none of us was willing to brave the traffic AND the drunken college kids. We were just about to call it a dive-free weekend when someone mentioned Destin Jetties. A vote was held, and there were no objections to braving the “walk of shame”, so a plan was hatched.

On our way into Destin we saw pale, emerald water from the bridge, which is always a welcome sign. It also looked like the current was pretty mild, so we skipped our usual site inspection and geared up at the best parking spot on the strip.

We mostly had the beach to ourselves, there were a few young ladies sunbathing, and a gent with a sweet boat anchored up in the shallows. We made our way down the walk of shame and hit the water as soon as we could so we wouldn’t break our backs.

The water looked great, and registered between 63 and 65 degrees during the dive. Viz started at about 30 just South of the Box, and dropped to 10 or so around the anchor area. We spotted lots of fish carcasses where folks have been illegally cleaning their catches, but not much else over six or seven inches. There were plenty of slippery dick wrasse, baitfish, stone crabs and a few blue crabs. I saw one tiny blenny, and two anemones. No one wanted their photo taken, so I stuck to video, and shell collecting. I think with the water warming up, there may be more to see in the coming weeks, but it was slim-pickins for our dive, so we decided to skip our second tank and grab some grub. Time in was 11:07am for a 47-minute dive. Max depth was 56 and average depth was 41.

Debrief was at the Wharfhouse??? Overlooking the harbor. It wasn’t as good as McGuire’s, but it was good, and it was nice to get some more fresh air while we discussed future dive possibilities and overpriced dive gear.

I have to say I was very happy with the dive conditions if not a bit disappointed at the lack of critters to photograph. If you’re looking to get some good saltwater shore dives in before tourist season, you could do a whole lot worse than the Destin Jetties right now.

-ap

[vimeo]10316795[/vimeo]

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1432a.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1416a.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

thnx for the report

Thanks guys! In less then a month I will be heading down that direction for a few days. Seems like it is warming up little by little.

Loved the video. Looks like you had great vis; too bad there weren't more critters. I couldn't tell from the video what all the little fish were - baby pinfish or baitfish?

You may recall that I am a mere snorkeler who visits Destin a couple of times a year because I own a condo there. I just got back from a trip to Curacao (I always take a tropical snorkeling trip every winter) and got some uw photos that aren't too bad:
Curacao 2010 snorkeling - a set on Flickr
Curacao had some very clear water!

Thanks for the report, shouldn't be long now before its warmer than the springs. I can't wait to dive in my trunks again.

Nice report, glad to see things look better than they did the last we time we went out there. The next time you guys plan on trying to hit some shore dives give a brotha a call :D.

Back
Top Bottom