Kowaliga Bridge Old and New 5/21/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BNow0707

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Went down to Alex City on friday to get wet cheap on my off day. I had never dove in Lake Martin. To say the least I was very pleased. I was concerned about the weather we had the night before and that was coming in. I was diving with a good freind that just finished his cert at blue water the tuesday before. We geared up and hit the water on the north side public ramp and swam out to about 30 yards in front of where the old road ends. We dropped in just over some old trees weighted at the bottom with floats to hold them upright. We began working our way across the channel and ran into the bridge rubble. I assume we went to far west to begin with since it was a few minutes before we actually found the bridge. We worked our way out with me dragging the float/flag and tryin too keep an eye on "Donk" as I was worried bout him getting lost, poor boy has NO sense of direction. We worked out the span til I hit turn pressure and we turned and worked our way back zig-zagging over the rubble peering in some of the cracks and holes. Our first dive began at 11:04 and ended 31 minutes later(im a gas HOG:shakehead:) with a max depth of 47 feet and average depth of 34 feet and temp of 57 deg F. Vis was better than I expected about 10-15ft in some places.

We swam back to the dock and used the rest of our air to pick up junk around the dock. We found alot of trash as well as a wrench, set of keys, and a phone. If anybody lost any of this let me know what they are and I'll get it back to you.

As we were setting up for our second dive, a fella with a pair of jet ski's told us there was a storm comin in from the north soon. We said thanks that we'd make it short and headed out for the new bridge. We swam to the first piling on the north side and dropped to the bottom. The vis was not as good as before around 5-8 feet. We cruised along between the spans looking at bottles and junk on the bottom. I did find a tall coke bottle marked Hilo, Hawaii which was kind of neat, but I know nothing about bottles. Donk found a fishing rod and a coke bottle that was the same size as the one I found but in much better shape. We also ran across a piece of a broken Ranger bass boat windshield that I think may have came from THIS ACCIDENT
news01.jpg
In the picture it the drivers console had been broken and it was in the same area. And if nothing else it sounds good to me.:D We turned the dive and began heading back, i began to feel as if someone was pulling on my flag but it was a constant up-down-up-down. I decided we should surface near the bridge pylon just to be safe. When we surfaced at the second span from the north shore it was pouring rain and waves were probably a foot high and pushing us hard. I told donk to keep his reg in and hold the other side of the float and swim like hell! The waves pushed us east under the bridge as we swam to the bank. The storm began to let up as we neared the shore. Our second dive netted us a 26 minute dive with a 46 foot max and 35 average depth and 68 deg temp and.

After drying out we headed across the lake for lunch at Sinclair's which was very good and we stopped by the Children's Harbor thrift store after lunch and picked up a few things. All said it was a great day off and I will definately be back to Martin and Kowaliga soon.

Does any one know of the closest place to get air fills?:confused:

Right now I'm getting them in birmingham. I know of adventure sports in auburn. Any others?

We were thinking of doing a camping/diving weekend but I got four tanks was hoping to find somewhere close for air fills. Thanks

Adventure Sports II in Montgomery

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom