It's A Long Shot: South Arkansas Dive Help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinmanJones

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello.
I've been lurking here on the board for a week or so and finally decided to give this a shot, even though after looking through the search option, I found little information.

I live in El Dorado, a small south Arkansas town. We do have a dive shop here, but it appears to only be open at weird times, or not at all, even though the times of operation are listed on the front door.

The gentleman that operates the dive shop is our area scuba instructor.
I was able to meet him, outside of his shop last week, only by chance (he was sitting in his pickup truck and I just happened to call the phone # on the door of the shop and noticed the man I was talking to, was sitting in the parking lot).

He and I talked a little about his diving program, but I never was able to get any real hard facts from him.
I told him I'd come by his shop this week and get as much information from him as possible on his program.
Today, he wasn't open.

My question, is there anyone here that can tell me about him or his training?
I know that he does his "pool" time at Health Works, just behind his shop. But that's all I really know about him.

Again, I know this is a HUGE website and a very long shot to actually talk to someone about joining the south Arkansas dive shop training course, but it's where I choose to begin my searching.

I've googled, and I've searched here.
Maybe I will find information soon.
Thanks

Tinman:

I am an SDI/TDI Instructor in Panama City, Florida and this is just my opinion: If you are seriously considering becoming certified, there are a few things that you should consider. If the shop and /or owner are not available to you: if you take a course from this instructor, is he (or anyone) going to make himself available to you for any "newbee" questions that you may have following your class. If you buy equipment from him, is he available to take care of any problems or service to that equipment? Is he available for continued education or training?

When I have someone sign up for a class, regardless of training level, I am committed to that student for any questions (they can call me ANY time for ANY help). I am available to them for any equipment needs or service. My students and I are a Team and through our information network, can find a dive buddy (if they need one), discuss problems, or any other concerns.

I went to the tdisdi.com website and we do not have any facilities in Arkansas. The SDI program, and the other Training Agencies, have the academic portion of the Open Water Training in an online format. Once you complete the training, the facility that you have chosen will conduct your pool sessions and checkouts. Go to http://www.sditdi.com , "find a dive center" and search for a facility close to you. You can also call them at 888-778-9073, speak with Steve Moore or Dennis Pulley, in the Training Department, and ask them about training in or near Arkansas.

I would be happy to assist you, as much as I can, I will be happy to talk with you and try to help you resolve your situation (you may call me at 850-624-5825, anytime)

The other consideration is that - it IS winter and there is not, generally, a lot of traffic for SCUBA shops, there are those shops that scale back to almost nothing this time of year. If you can contact the owner/instructor, determine if this is a winter slow down or not. If it is, ask when he intends to get back to full scale!

Michael W. Lawson
Team W.A.T.E.R. :: Home

Hello.
I've been lurking here on the board for a week or so and finally decided to give this a shot, even though after looking through the search option, I found little information.

I live in El Dorado, a small south Arkansas town. We do have a dive shop here, but it appears to only be open at weird times, or not at all, even though the times of operation are listed on the front door.

The gentleman that operates the dive shop is our area scuba instructor.
I was able to meet him, outside of his shop last week, only by chance (he was sitting in his pickup truck and I just happened to call the phone # on the door of the shop and noticed the man I was talking to, was sitting in the parking lot).

He and I talked a little about his diving program, but I never was able to get any real hard facts from him.
I told him I'd come by his shop this week and get as much information from him as possible on his program.
Today, he wasn't open.

My question, is there anyone here that can tell me about him or his training?
I know that he does his "pool" time at Health Works, just behind his shop. But that's all I really know about him.

Again, I know this is a HUGE website and a very long shot to actually talk to someone about joining the south Arkansas dive shop training course, but it's where I choose to begin my searching.

I've googled, and I've searched here.
Maybe I will find information soon.
Thanks

Has he been trained to teach SCUBA, and by who or what organization? Then call the organization and ask about him. If its PADI they should know if hes current, insured, and has any incident history. Depending on where you want to dive, you may simply want to take a trip somewhere and learn to dive there instead. You can complete all or part of your class in 3 days, and be diving for real on the very first day (with an instructor). Closest PADI Dive Center to you is Monroe or Bossier City, both in LA.

Hi guys.
Thanks a ton for your willingness to share your info with us that are less knowledgeable.

After posting here, I made it a point to continue to go by our Dive Shop and see if I could make contact with the local instructor here.
I did make contact with him the day after I posted here. (The day I posted here, he was instructing a class.)
Since then, I have met with him several times and have discussed and have actually paid my money for the certification class, beginning Feb. 27th.

Looking forward to getting started.

Again, thanks to you guys and to everyone who makes this site possible.

A quick update.
What a great joy it is to post here that I have successfully completed my very first confined water dive.
The instructor here, Bill, is awesome.
After many afternoons visiting with him at his shop, I've come to appreciate all he does for our little area and SCUBA in general.
He is a great instructor who cares about each of us, and is willing to spend extra time with anyone who needs a little extra help with any of the diving exercises.
I highly recommend Bill to anyone in the south Arkansas or north Louisiana area.
I look forward to posting more as I continue on.
Thanks for your time.
Don G. (TinmanJones)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom