We may be needed...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
From Keysnews.com:

Divers needed to move artifacts before dredging

BY TIMOTHY O'HARA

keysnews.com

KEY WEST -- From centuries-old bottles to mines, a mountain of artifacts have been discovered in local marinas.

Local archeologists and divers are hoping to rescue more relics before they are scooped up, crushed and dumped at sea. The Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, Mel Fisher Museum, Navy and RPM Nautical Foundation officials are putting together archeological dives near the Outer Mole Pier, before dredging starts in the harbor this winter.

The Navy plans to remove tons of silt from the bottom of the channel to make room for larger ships to dock at the pier. The $36 million project will take 18 months to complete and the silt will be deposited offshore in deeper water and on Fleming Key.

Before the project starts officials want to remove any artifacts that are lying at the bottom. However, archeologists, both professional and amateur, will have to brave ripping currents, cool winter waters and poor visibility to find these hidden treasures.

"The history of Key West is in that harbor," said Corey Malcom, director of archeology for the Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Society.

Officials hope to start next month. The nonprofit RPM Nautical Foundation will use remote sensing devices and sonar to locate artifacts and survey the sea floor. Officials will then create a plan for diving and removing the artifacts. They plan to recruit volunteers from local dive clubs to help remove artifacts. However, they are cautioning volunteers about the conditions.

"This is for people who are advanced divers," sanctuary upper region Manager Dave Score said.

The artifacts will be restored by Mel Fisher Museum officials and be put on display at the museum and other Keys facilities. The anchors may be moved to another channel, where people could view them during local dives, Score said. If removed from the water the iron could corrode.

Naval officials plan to dredge the marina floor to 34 feet. The marina was last dredged in the 1960s. The project is designed to enhance the local base's mission to provide training for the Navy and Marine Corps.

Also, the dredging will provide a benefit to the local ecosystem by removing silt, which can smother coral, sanctuary officials said. The sanctuary and the state Department of Environmental Protection are working with Navy officials to make sure all fish, bird and plant habitats are protected.

tohara@keysnews.com

I don't know of a dive group better positioned for shallow, cool, blackwater (low to zero vis) artifact diving than us. Some of us have hundreds of dives logged that meet this description. Diving Key West would be, to most of us, a DREAM. :)

Anyone interested? I certainly am.

Hey Sea Jay!

I know I'm interested and feel certain that Larry will be and both are qualified. If you want to coordinate a group, that would be great.

:D

Larry should really "clean up." With the stuff he was showing at our last meeting, he might just find everything in that harbor! :)

I've contacted the author of the article, and asked him to put us in touch with the right people. Wouldn't a mid-winter trip to the Keys for artifact hunting be great? :D

I am a native Conch, in other words I was born in Key West. I grew up in that water! Well, not the marina that they are talking about, but the waters around Key West.

Please, please, please don't schedule this the week of Feb. 15th -22. I will be on a cruise and wouldn't be able to go. Actually, since I will be on a week of vacation I wouldn't be able to participate in February at all. But, January and March are still open.

Just a note for you wind and choppy water is very common January through about April. Alot of surge as water is shallow.

Geez, I hope I can go too! I have been back now since learning to dive atleast once a year. What a hoot this would be.

I'm working to be part of an underwater archaelogic survey off the southern coast of Thailand next year. This would be a wonderful opportunity to get some experience.

Keep us in the loop with what you hear.

James

Some of us are reservists. God, that would be a great TDY - and a good tale to tell. See if they are open to paying reservists who are divers...

Hey, it's just a thought :)

James

Since, I am familiar with this area of waters I want to caution those that may participate. This area use to house in the neighbor hood many shrimp boats and there was a turtle farm close to the docks as well. They use to dump alot of chum so to speak into the bay area there. This of course attracted some interesting sea life. One particular favorite of fishermen was tarpon actually came in close to the docks. At any rate there will be alot of fish hooks, leaders, and monofiliment down there.

Not to mention all the more modern bottles such as those that fishermen, shrimpers, and other colorful locals may have discarded in the water.

It really is a nasty mess of an area, not the cleanest waters to go into. The more I remember of that outer mole dock the more disgusting it sounds. I don't know if I want to dive in it, but I sure would love a trip to Key West.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom