Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do I need a dive flag for Morrison Springs?

Registered

thinks LiteHedded has a pretty
    mouth

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Native Spear-It View Post
    Florida statute Chapter 327.331 says... YOU ARE REQUIRED TO USE A DIVE FLAG...

The 2011 Florida Statutes
    Quote Originally Posted by Native Spear-It View Post
    Basically, the entire statute applies to navigable waterways. The county placed bouys basically make the site confined. Some may argue the validity of the bouys as prevention of a navigable waterway, but its been done at Troy Springs, Silver Springs, Wakulla Springs, and other places as well. You don't have to float a flag in the pool, do ya?
    The best springs in life are free.

Cave/Tech/RB Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    While they do have buoys at Morrison, boaters do not pay attention to them. The last several times I was at the spring there were at least a couple of boats in the swimming area and no one enforcing the no boat rule.
    Rob Neto
    My website - Chipola Divers - Sidemount, Technical, Rebreather, & Cave Diving Instruction & Mentoring
    Visit Chipola Divers, LLC
    online store for great deals today!
    We sell KISS Rebreathers, SEAC gear, TillyTec Lights, Ralph Hood reels, EezyCut, a CO analyzer for less than $160, and more!

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

On the road.....

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive-aholic View Post
    While they do have buoys at Morrison, boaters do not pay attention to them. The last several times I was at the spring there were at least a couple of boats in the swimming area and no one enforcing the no boat rule.
    I think the deputy working yesterday would take exception to this. I was impressed with his professionalism.

Like usual a thread has taken on a life of its own. Time to unsuscribe to my own thread.

Sent from my DROID X2

Registered

Diving the Panhandle

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    The basin at Morrison is now a swimming only area.

Morrison's basin is no longer navigable.

No need, as the basin is no longer accessible to boats for navigation.

Basically, the entire statute applies to navigable waterways. The county placed bouys basically make the site confined. Some may argue the validity of the bouys as prevention of a navigable waterway, but its been done at Troy Springs, Silver Springs, Wakulla Springs, and other places as well. You don't have to float a flag in the pool, do ya?
    Nope, no flags in the pool!

Cave/Tech/RB Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by TNRonin View Post
    I think the deputy working yesterday would take exception to this. I was impressed with his professionalism.

Like usual a thread has taken on a life of its own. Time to unsuscribe to my own thread.

Sent from my DROID X2
    Unfortunately the deputy isn't there all the time. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing law enforcement there and I'm at Morrison pretty regularly.
    Rob Neto
    My website - Chipola Divers - Sidemount, Technical, Rebreather, & Cave Diving Instruction & Mentoring
    We sell KISS Rebreathers, SEAC gear, TillyTec Lights, Ralph Hood reels, EezyCut, a CO analyzer for less than $160, and more!

Registered

I wanna dive...

Dives
    200 - 499
    You shouldn't need anything but a Glock to protect yourself from the drunks and crazies. On weekdays it's fine, though
    It's dive o'clock somewhere...
    Friends don't let friends deal with AquaLung customer support.

Registered

thinks LiteHedded has a pretty
    mouth

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive-aholic View Post
    If they ignore bouys, they'll ignore flags.

You don't legally need a flag in the basin as its a designated swimming area... which is the intention of this thread. Protection from boaters is an entirely different subject, with the glock statement probably ringing the most true when the deputy isn't present.
    The best springs in life are free.

Cave/Tech/RB Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I understand that. I wasn't really replying to the OP but rather the statement that boats aren't supposed to be in the swimming area. The boats I've seen there have stayed along the perimeter and avoided flags. Yeah, I thought I was dreaming too but the pinch hurt...
    Rob Neto

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12