Myrtle Beach Diving in the middle of April. Possible? Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1wet1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, my 16 year old and I will be in Myrtle Beach in April and I would like to get a dive or 2 in. Are the temps ok and any suggestions on where to go/who to dive with?

Thanks in advance

Theres only two charters in Myrtle that go out. One charter is south of Myrtle in Murrells Inlet called Express Watersports. I've gone out with them multiple times and are top notch. I plan on going back out with them for a charter or two on vacation at the end of July. The other charter is on the north end of Myrtle Beach called Coastal Scuba. I've never been out with them. They are too far north for me. At this time of the year, I wouldn't be too picky on the sites just rather finding someone who goes out. I'm not sure if even of the boats are running yet. Both shops have schedules on their websites.

http://www.expresswatersports.com/pages/scuba-diving/dive-calendar.php

I personally have dove Goldfinch Reef, Bill Perry, and City of Richmond. Those three IMO are the best inshore sites that are offered in the area. Last time that I dove Goldfinch (~2 hr boat ride each way) there was 50-60 ft of viz. All three are relatively easy dives.

We liked Express also. Dove the Perry with them, not the best visibility but there's a couple of other things sunk nearby and a few days later a different site I don't remember the name of - another wreck. Since a lot of that area is flat and sandy, the wrecks attract most of the fish life. The farther out you go the better the vis. - eventually you're at the edge of the Gulf Stream which is considered more advanced diving. Of course the ride is also a lot longer - some trips take all day. Express has a fast Newton 46' dive boat so that helps. On our trips the DM set the mooring then stayed on the boat.

North Myrtle Beach is the congested part so plan for that if you're staying in town. Around Broadway at the Beach or the dinner theaters there can be a lot of very slow moving traffic later during the day. The Ripley's Aquarium nearby is worth a look also - some is borderline tacky but they have a big tank with a tunnel thru it. Also there was a small room with small exhibits - the only place I've ever seen Leafy Sea Dragons.

We stayed in the Litchfield Beach area so Express was a lot closer. Also there's quite a few good restaurants waterfront in Murrell's Inlet for dinner. I don't know anything about Coastal either.

NDBC - Station MROS1 - water temperature is listed farther down. It seems kind of erratic - the buoy off Charleston is holding around 68o which is what I would expect.

Back
Top Bottom